Heard a loud pop but no smoke ?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Bartholomew3, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

And after that my bass pot on a 15 watt Ibanez TSA15 was not working. Did it blow a resistor ?

Any idea as to what would cause a one-time popping sound ?

Tech time I guess - once again on that amp for a problem that never should have happened. Garbage build quality.

2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I would venture to say something went on it only from your description alone, you may want to open it up and take some pics to post so the amp gurus can give you better answer, and if you are not comfortable doing that the it needs to go to the shop,
    do you have the combo or the head unit?
    also tube amps have high voltages in side do not reach into it with you hands if you do open it up

3. Bartholomew3

TSA15 Head - Will be taking it to the best tech in town, have the bucks but it's pretty annoying. I can open it up to spot a blown or burnt part but wouldn't attempt to solder on a circuit board. Am pretty sure the amp would be toasted completely when I finished. Can re-wire a tele but not a circuit board. Just burnt-out a Weller 8200 after using it probably 20 times. I'm dangerous when I repair things.

Thought the pop sound was strange, have never had that before on anything.

24 track likes this.
  4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If you are not confident then a tech is the best way to go, I took a look nice little amps , worth fixing

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

You know there are 2 fuses, and 1 will pop.
    Per web discussions you have to bump that one up if
    you want to gig with amp.
    imho

6. Bartholomew3

Will check that out...thanx. Doesn't really hang in there with a loud band/drummer. Easier to just buy a Blues Jr. rather than modify with unknown final result with local tech guys. Didn't know the amp was wimped-out until I used it on a club jam session. Also have a Peavey 12 inch cab with a WGS ET65 in it - may just buy the PV 20 watt EL84 mini-head with reverb.

Always thought 15 watts is 15 watts but guess it doesn't work that way. Had a Delta Blues 30W with a 15 inch speaker which was great for club gigs but also bulky and heavy.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Took mine out for awhile and kept up with young drummer. More like bf not bad with alnico gold. Boost mode not ts9

8. kilbey

kilbey TDPRI Member

Some 2xel84 amps have enough headroom that you can use a boost on the clean side and still have clean tone to a degree

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.