Headstock tuners, whaddaya recommend?

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I have a Monoprice one that is recharged by USB from your computer. It was not expensive... maybe $15?
None of my Snarks have ever failed but they eat batteries....
BTW, buy batteries by the dozen on Ebay about 50 cents apiece....

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
I like the cheap fender ones. Good response on the low E on the basses, and cheap enough to have one for each instrument.

But I do have one of the Daddarios. It’s proving very accurate and that low profile is a game changer!

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
Peterson Stroboclip for me. Fast, accurate, and has a sweetened guitar setting that really nails it for me. The TC Polytune is my backup; slower display and lacks the sweetened setting. Snark is useful but has a toy-level build and seems less accurate. Since intonation is important to me and I play tons, spending a bit more for a good tuner is not an issue. The Peterson and TC units are well made and last.

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Tuners, trick question. I like the Fender locking tuners on my Tele to adjust my strings. And use a Snark tuner to tune the sound.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Peterson Strobo clip… about $70 usd.

+1

tuner.jpg

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
They're making one now that is clampless and truly invisible to the audience. Gotta have a screw pattern on your tuners that will accommodate it, though (I have vintage style, like yours. Don't think it'll work with those.). It comes with a long screw. Cool idea.

View attachment 1000334
Yeah, I have a couple of those, too. You don't actually have to use a tuner screw hole.....you can screw them into any place on the back of headstock. They work fine. That's what I did on my Godin Multiac Nylon string.....w/ slotted headstock. ;)

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I bought a bunch of Reverb branded tuners when they were running a promo on them a while back when they were selling them for a $1 (one-per-customer, yeah, right). I also got essentially the same tuner as a bonus item with some gig bags and other accessories. I may even have a couple still in a box somewhere. So, I haven't felt like I needed to buy any more.

If I were to buy one, I'd probably go with a Korg PitchClip or Polytune.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
I have only ONE choice. The d'Addarrio Micro. Smallest tuner I've ever seen, hides BEHIND the headstock, is very accurate and quick to react, and last a LONG time. I have six or eight of them, dedicated to my main guitars and basses. I do put a tiny screw on the "clamp" in case I get a little active on a gig. (so I don't shake it off) Here's front and back views. View attachment 1000326
View attachment 1000328
Barely visible, huh!? ;)
These are what I use. Other than my TU-3.

BUTTTT most these tuners are just preference. And pretty much all brands have rechargeable battery options now. I’d recommend looking at them

littlebadboy

Tele-Afflicted
Another +1 on the Strobo. But, I would recommend a pedal. Sometimes, clip-ons may get confused with all the vibrations especially in a tight rehearsal room with s loud drummer and etc.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
It's a little heavy, but I recommend this.....

View attachment 1000388
I genuinely do prefer this, just one though not five like NY used live.
Sadly mine finally blew the motor and is no longer spinning its wheels.
For clip on I got notice here of a stupid deal of the day on the TC unitunes for $10 each and bought two.
Steel clamp and folds flat so it seems to hold up well and works fine.
Im not Joe Pass like some guys here who obsess about digital tuner accuracy, seems fine to me.
Im also not really into tiny stuff, mini anything is generally not attractive.

6A9BB48A-2FB1-4D77-A976-35ED68F2CBA1.jpeg
FD57AA98-8F9B-4936-8B40-F380DBB9E919.jpeg

Mike H.

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Peterson Strobo Clip for me. Many of these tuners work well and are pretty accurate, but the Peterson is the only one that is easily readable in bright sunlight.
If you play any outdoor gigs, forget about being able to see anything that uses LED's for the display.

user name

Tele-Meister
I have a Peterson and it is definitely more accurate than a Snark, but honestly, the Snark is just fine for sitting around the house

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
I have a Polytune and a bunch of d’addario micros - no complaints.

My first Polytune didn’t work after the first battery change, but was replaced under warranty.

Friend of Leo's
+1 for Snark, had a few different ones over the years (all in the £20 range) but even at a lowly £15 (over here) accurate and, therefore, great value.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Polytune by TC Electronics. The present "pro" standard. Only about fifty bucks. You can strum and see which strings are "out" before you tune up (or down), Just buy it already.

Count me in that camp....near perfect tool.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
I have only ONE choice. The d'Addarrio Micro. Smallest tuner I've ever seen, hides BEHIND the headstock, is very accurate and quick to react, and last a LONG time. I have six or eight of them, dedicated to my main guitars and basses. I do put a tiny screw on the "clamp" in case I get a little active on a gig. (so I don't shake it off) Here's front and back views. View attachment 1000326
View attachment 1000328
Barely visible, huh!? ;)
Yup. That’s my go-to for Fender style headstocks. Works perfectly for those.

Blrfl

Tele-Afflicted
I am a stickler for tuning and like to change my G and B strings by a certain amount flat and just know where that is on them.

Would be nice to save those adjustments as presets, but whatever, I have my methods.

The (non-mechanical) Petersons can do that. I tune some of my guitars with the James Taylor tuning and switching to that is a couple of button presses away.

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
The (non-mechanical) Petersons can do that. I tune some of my guitars with the James Taylor tuning and switching to that is a couple of button presses away.

I know you can upload custom ones via usb to the pedal version, but I thought the headstock version was just choosing from their presets.