Headstock tuners, whaddaya recommend?

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
A week ago, I had my headstock tuner break on me. I've had it for a long time, don't remember exactly, but conservatively I'd say at least 6 years. I got my money's worth for sure.

And it wasn't an expensive item to begin with. It was the Intellitouch PT10 Tuner. I never bothered to take a pic of mine (it's just a clip-on headstock tuner, after all), but here's a pic stolen from the Interwebs in case you don't know what this one looks like.

I'm thinking of going to my favorite store (Clawson's Music) tomorrow, and I'm wonder what's the latest in inexpensive but durable and reliable headstock tuners. I've heard numerous references to Snark over the years but I've never tried one. Should I get the same thing, or go with something new?

1656705426476.png

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Geeze. Snark tuners are only about $20. I have an SN-1 in red that I like - they are up to $30 on Amazon (on sale for $16). $70 for a clip-on seems like a lot. Mine sit on my amp at home and don't leave the house, so I really don't know how durable they are.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
I recently bought a £20 D'Addario Equinox. It's USB rechargeable, which I thought would be an upgrade on the £4 Thomann ones I've used for years. They were fine enough- but always ran out of batteries at a gig- never at home. Like many headstock tuners, they were susceptible to a lot of stage noise- but I know your gigs are usually solo shows, where you have a lot of control, of your environment.
I had a Snark, for a while but the design was prone to breakage of the casing, near the pivot point of the attachment stem. I hope they cleaned that up.

We'll see, if the new one is reliable and how useful it is, in public. I'm not sure I'd lay out fifty bucks, on something so fragile and easy to forget. Rehearsal rooms and dark stage floors, are littered with them, around here......

1656799694608.png

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
I like the Snark too because the display is larger and brighter compared to most others.

dsutton24

Doctor of Teleocity
I've gone through countless Snarks. My advice is to save up and get a Stroboclip. It will last a lot longer, and is very accurate.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
A week ago, I had my headstock tuner break on me. I've had it for a long time, don't remember exactly, but conservatively I'd say at least 6 years. I got my money's worth for sure.

And it wasn't an expensive item to begin with. It was the Intellitouch PT10 Tuner. I never bothered to take a pic of mine (it's just a clip-on headstock tuner, after all), but here's a pic stolen from the Interwebs in case you don't know what this one looks like.

I'm thinking of going to my favorite store (Clawson's Music) tomorrow, and I'm wonder what's the latest in inexpensive but durable and reliable headstock tuners. I've heard numerous references to Snark over the years but I've never tried one. Should I get the same thing, or go with something new?
I've used TC Electronic Polytunes for years, and recently the less expensive TC Electronic Unitune. Very tight accuracy, quarter size battery lasts forever, and neatly folds out of the way after tuning.

20210502_204328.jpg
20210728_170121.jpg
20210728_170030.jpg

Last edited:

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
The snarks are inaccurate, and eventually the tension of the plastic holding the battery goes. I’ve “modded” dying out ones with aluminum foil. No thanks. Done with that.

The polytune has done me alright. Had it for about four or five years now, still going strong. I am a stickler for tuning and like to change my G and B strings by a certain amount flat and just know where that is on them.

Would be nice to save those adjustments as presets, but whatever, I have my methods.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I use Snarks, but don't play professionally. They aren't the best, but get the job done inexpensively. I have one on my bench, one in the basement, and one beside my recliner that gets the most use.

bendercaster

Tele-Afflicted
I have a handful of Snarks that I keep in my gig bag. They are cheap and work just fine. I bought a different brand a few years ago that had a strobe tuner feature and hated it. It loves in a case as a backup, but the Snarks are fine for tuning up before a gig.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

View attachment 999869
I have only ONE choice. The d'Addarrio Micro. Smallest tuner I've ever seen, hides BEHIND the headstock, is very accurate and quick to react, and last a LONG time. I have six or eight of them, dedicated to my main guitars and basses. I do put a tiny screw on the "clamp" in case I get a little active on a gig. (so I don't shake it off) Here's front and back views.
1656806431856.jpeg

1656806476374.jpeg

Barely visible, huh!? ;)

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
I have only ONE choice. The d'Addarrio Micro. Smallest tuner I've ever seen, hides BEHIND the headstock, is very accurate and quick to react, and last a LONG time. I have six or eight of them, dedicated to my main guitars and basses. I do put a tiny screw on the "clamp" in case I get a little active on a gig. (so I don't shake it off) Here's front and back views. View attachment 1000326
View attachment 1000328
Barely visible, huh!? ;)
They're making one now that is clampless and truly invisible to the audience. Gotta have a screw pattern on your tuners that will accommodate it, though (I have vintage style, like yours. Don't think it'll work with those.). It comes with a long screw. Cool idea.

1656807373268.png

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Snark, because they're easy to read, fit just fine on most headstocks and they're cheap. Step on 'em, lose them, no tears.