1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Headstock tuners look stupid and unprofessional

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Nov 21, 2020 at 12:59 AM.

1. saleake

saleake TDPRI Member

I don’t like the way it looks either. But some great guitar player around here use them.

I don’t play gigs wearing sneakers, t-shirts, jeans, shorts, or baseball hats. But some great players around here do.

radiocaster and Wulf like this.
  2. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I’m growing more and more in disgust with people. There are some very good people out there but I’m finding it more difficult to ID them

CCK1 and Sparky2 like this.
  3. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

And it's not even for vanity or to look cool my friend. You want to tune to what's coming out of the speaker, not at the source. You'd be surprised, it's not always the same!

Bill Sheehan and thesamhill like this.
  4. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Also it took music stores decades to actually start using tuners. I remember not too long ago, maybe a decade or two ago, you'd walk into a store and they'd have the salesman tune the guitar by ear before you play it, now they use tuners. Of course there's always shops where they hand you the guitar and you tune it yourself.

One time maybe two years ago, some guy in a guitar shop gave me a headstock tuner and I must have spent 5 or 10 minutes and couldn't figure out how to use it. Ended up tuning by ear. The funny thing is that I'm pretty good at it now, even if I sucked at it for the first 10 or 15 years of playing guitar, even though I've always used a tuner. When I started they were available, but I'd just tune one note and try to get the rest by ear. After checking what I did at the end, I usually failed miserably. A couple of years later I just gave up and only used the tuner.

Wulf and Bill Sheehan like this.
  5. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

If I don't want to take a Pedaltuner with me, I use my Korg GB1 Pitchjack Tuner through the second Input of my Vibrato Channel. To tune silently I just roll off the volume of my amp

Attached Files:

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  6. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've only made it to Page 4 and I'm ready to quit reading now, but I would like to throw one more turd in the punchbowl:

Discreet use of a water bottle is fine, but alcoholic beverages on stage are really stupid and unprofessional.

AAT65 likes this.
  7. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

Love It!!

8. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Once I was in a hurry to get to the local hardware store and when I got there I realized I was wearing mismatched Crocs. I was pretty sure I was going to have a cease-and-desist order from the township waiting for me when I got home. No one fails at fashion like a guy who needs to get to the store before it closes!

This is interesting! However, I'm going to to my absolute best to forget you ever said this because it looks suspiciously like the entrance to a rabbit hole :lol:

telemnemonics and CCK1 like this.
  9. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Meister

Very cool, Twang! Hadn't seen these!

10. Alex_C

Alex_C TDPRI Member

I only tried using a clip-on once when playing on stage. It was having a hard time with the ambient noise. This was years ago, so maybe they have improved.

11. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

A famous guitar player said to me "If you're not in tune, you're gonna stink" There are thing worse than visible tuners

CCK1 likes this.
  12. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

You ask me, what's really stupid and unprofessional is using a headstock tuner while your volume is still up.

bromdenlong and SRHmusic like this.
  13. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I discovered how out of whack my internal tuning was when I clipped mine to my tongue one time and hummed.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Like what you joked about, this thread has gone on way too long...

When will it end already!?!?

aging_rocker likes this.
  15. Allenjason95

Allenjason95 Tele-Meister

Yeah, I always hate bands that go up in shorts, especially cargo shorts. My cousin had a band with a really tall lead singer and he would wear shorts at shows and it just made him look goofy.

At least put a little effort into what you're going to wear on stage. I don't expect a band to be in full Sgt Pepper's outfits but if you show up looking like a bunch of frat boys I'm going to have a hard time taking your seriously.

16. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've probably seen bands do it, I don't remember in particular, but I'm pretty sure I've seen bands downtune to dropped D with the sound up.

I don't really care, doesn't bother me. You might as well make the case that stage banter is unprofessional.

17. Allenjason95

Yeah...but people got by for decades without visible tuners. It's not either or. I have a Boss tuner pedal. I step on it....tune....and away we go.

I've used the clip on ones at home (not for long because the clips always break) but I'd never play out in public with that ugly thing on the end of my guitar.

SRHmusic likes this.
  18. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

my respects to you, your ear, and your patience for tuning a 12 string to a harmonica

bromdenlong and Wulf like this.
  19. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

For a professional onstage appearance, just remove the headstock tuner and place it in one of the pockets of your cargo shorts after tuning. For an even more polished appearance, a strategically placed music stand can obscure this move from the audience.

20. Allenjason95

Nothing to do with looking "professional", just if you want to avoid looking ridiculous.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.