1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Headstock tuners look stupid and unprofessional

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Nov 21, 2020 at 12:59 AM.

1. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Meister

Hahahahahaha! Dang, that took some time to put together!!!

Wulf and Sparky2 like this.
  2. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I use a clip on tuner on the headstock of my guitar, AND I also use a capo.

A LOT of guitarists frown on both of these, and they assume the guitar player is a Noob.

The guys who complain the most can't even sing a lick and can't contribute more to the band than just playing their instrument.

When you have to sing lead and harmony in a band, it's very important to be in tune all the time.

A capo also really helps when you have to move the key up.

It helps to be able to play simple cowboy chords when singing, so you can focus more on your vocal instead of the chords you're playing.

Real musicians who can play guitar and sing don't care if others are bothered by clips on tuners on the headstock or capo's .

Fiesta Red and Wulf like this.
  3. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

I tune with my IPHONE. It’s free and I don’t care what folks think.

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Capos are actually "cool" these days. Pros are using them on electric guitars. A played with a drummer who insisted I "learn bar chords and stop using a capo..." until I demonstrated how much better open chords with a capo sound than bar chords.

Texsunburst59 and Wulf like this.
  5. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

About 15 minutes of my time.

I love creative writing.
    And these guitar web forums provide me rich inspiration.

:)

P Thought, Bill Sheehan and Wulf like this.
  6. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

I never saw the need for a pedal-tuner. I was always satisfied with headstocktuners. I try to remember taking them off before the song starts, but if I forget....well, I don't mind.

Bill Sheehan and Wulf like this.
  7. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

About the same time they were common on the edge of bathtubs in most of the motels I could afford to stay at.:)

aging_rocker and CCK1 like this.
  8. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

always used one..for almost 50 years.its an old old trick on electrics...Billy Furys songs were often played with capo and open chords it makes them easier to sing too...harmonises with the voice better...

9. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

It occurs to me that many of you believe the the OP's main concern is with the use of clip-on tuners in the first place.

In my observation, that would be incorrect.

His objection is to the artist leaving the unattractive, distracting little lump of plastic on there during the subsequent performance.
    That is also my objection.

Me?
    I'm a huge fan of the clip on tuners.
    I own several.

I have no less than two Fender California clip-on tuners.
    Three or four Snarks.
    Two separate models of D'Addario clip-on tuners.
    I love them.
    I use them all the time.

I keep one in my backpack.
    One in my daily driver.
    I have one that I keep at work.
    There are two in my music room, at all times.

When I'm on stage, there are no less than two of them within easy reach, at all times.

I use them religiously, to keep my guitars, basses, string instruments, my ukulele even, in tune.
    I LOVE THEM.
    I would marry them, if the Law would allow.
    I may have had sex with one of them, during a particularly lonely moment last month.

But I never ever leave them on the headstock after the tuning ordeal/ritual is over, and when it's time to perform.

Ever.
    It's just wrong.

:oops:

[​IMG]

10. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I don’t get how neck dive is a big deal. I play with both hands. It’s only when I let go of the neck that it dives.

Hmm. Come to think about it, that happens a lot when I go to pick up the tuner.

I don’t know. Some things just become part of everyday life, I just don’t think about them. Until it becomes a problem. Like when your pbass falls and knocks the ride cymbal stand over. :oops:

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  11. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If it looks unprofessional to you after tuning remove it. I will not worry about this and find it frankly, vastly unimportant.

12. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

What's up with you guys... doesn't your roadie do the tuning for you?

13. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

nah..he is as deaf as a post and half blind...but built like a human ox...turn him and point him towards the door with an amp in each of his great big mitts...pat him on the head and give him a little shove..
    wouldnt let him near my guitars...his breath would strip the finish off in a heartbeat...

NoTeleBob and superjam144 like this.
  14. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

yeah exactly. ever play classical? gravity almost does all the work for your left hand. personally i don't want to work any harder than than that in the electric realm.

Whatizitman likes this.
  15. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

None of that bothers me. But that’s just me.

16. ghostchord

ghostchord Tele-Meister

Lots of professional guitar players use capos. Look no further than TE ... Also if you're really good you can throw the capo on and off and slide it around while playing. I bought my capo before I could do barre chords as a "cheat" for playing in different keys but for songs originally played with a capo (and there's lots) you need the capo to recreate the same sound... I haven't seen a lot of electric guitar players play with a capo though, any big names? I guess for lead it matters less?

Wulf likes this.
  17. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Joe Brown and Big Jim Sullivan...they used capo on electrics Billy Fury did too...all wayyy back in 59- 60
    Joe brown and Big Jim played on most pre beatles rock n roll records in england
    Joe an Jim played on most of Furys songs
    i grew up strumming along to all that on radio and old records...it was the music i grew up with..so quickly learned their little tricks

thats in F
    capo 3rd and start on D shape open chord
    works well with 2 guitars one capod one not...second guitar playing regular chords

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 9:36 PM
  18. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

After seven pages of this thread, I guess I can say I'm happy that the discussion went on this long, and I discovered a new kind of headstock tuner that does exactly what I'm looking for. And I'm also laughing to myself that the thread wasn't shut down immediately after my joke in the O.P..... a few sharp eyes caught it. If you see it don't say anything or it WILL get shut down!

telemnemonics and Wulf like this.
  19. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

Epic post. LOL.

20. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Holic

I’m just amazed how appearance conscious some posters are. It’s a tuner, you need a tuner. There was a time in the 1990s when every acoustic player in all the country, folk, and bluegrass bands had a stick on Sabine tuner bump on the body near the neck, you could see it in all the concert photos and magazine interviews. Kyser capos on the headstocks were ubiquitous too. You lose no reputation for being prepared at the gig. It is more awkward to put a headstock tuner on and off every time you want to silently tune between songs than it is to keep it on. I like the Snark tuner because it is so visible and I have astigmatism, the D’addario makes me squint so I stopped using it.

P Thought likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.