1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Headstock tuners look stupid and unprofessional

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

CFD88FB5-1CAA-4F75-A57A-BE7FEBBC9125.jpeg
    What headstock tuner? I see no headstock tuner

2. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Being out of tune because a headstock tuner doesn't look "cool" is stupidly unprofessional.

3. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

I do have an infair advantage because I've always excelled at memorizing music. When I finished school I had 4 hours of classical piano pieces memorized. All the jazz band charts, the Tower of Power charts, and 3 or 4 hours of original stuff too. Last time I played a solo piano gig some of the musicians in the crowd kept asking me why I didn't have any music to read. They acted like I was some kind of freak for having stuff memorized. When I was younger it took me a while to realize that many of the other players could not memorize their music.

But when I wrote the comment I was thinking of the Tower of Power tribute band. I have never understood why those guys need music stands to play ToP covers. Every gig I was the only one on stage with no music. I absolutely hate having to be tethered to that piece of paper.

4. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I have to admit that when I’m playing drums I need nothing. Back in the day when I was in the pit band for our local theatre I’d just have a note scribbled against each number to remind me of any bits that were cured against what was happening on stage. Often line in a song with STOP! after it or similar. I’ve never been a good reader, in fact, I’m probably into the non-reader category. I just found / find it easy to remember the structure of a number and the shifting rhythms.
    With guitar though it’s a different story. By no means confident enough to remember the chords. Have the sheet up with chords over the lyrics. Though I’m sure I don’t need it there for a lot of the time, the courage to not have it ‘in case’ eludes me. It just sits on a stand to one side of my mic. along with the running order, tuner and plectrums.

5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Four words:

ALBERT COLLINS, ICE MAN

Wulf, Texsunburst59 and tanplastic like this.
  6. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Ok I see your picture of the LP with the Frankenstein neck. But can you show us pictures of the overly large breasts so we may truly understand your angst ?
    ;-)

Wulf likes this.
  7. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

One tuner? The first band I was in, someone would holler “Hey! Here’s an E. Let’s tune up.” Nobody had a tuner. There’s no telling what we were tuned to.

mfguitar, Wrighty and Wulf like this.
  8. MrCairo46

Like this?? 746DD47A-E865-4983-B4E5-06CABBBA94EC.jpeg

Wulf and Coloradotwanger like this.
  9. douellette

douellette TDPRI Member

3-Chord-Genius, Wulf and P Thought like this.
  10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I know several classically trained pianists and horn players who can barely play a lick without having the sheet music in front of them...one of the many times I threw together a pick-up group for a last-minute gig I called my drummer and a bassist who we’d played with multiple times. We rehearsed at the Bassist’s house.

His daughter—winner of several Statewide Competitions (UIL? something like that...whatever...) on both piano and alto sax was hanging around our single rehearsal before the gig...she had been playing keyboards and sax with her dad’s (the bassist’s) rock cover band since she was 9 years old...at the time, she was 19, so she had plenty of experience.

I figured she could easily play a couple of my simple 3-chord Texas Roadhouse tunes on piano or keyboard...

When I asked her to sit in, she said, “Sure! Do you have any sheet music? Charts? Anything?”
    I said, “It’s a I-IV-V 12-bar blues song in the key of A...why do you need a chart?”
    “Can’t do it.”
    “What? Why?”
    “Can’t do it...”
    I slipped behind her keyboard and played the three chords, then played a simple little bluesy melody...
    She said, “WOW! I didn’t know you played piano!”
    “I don’t...I just know my chords and I move my fingers over those keys...”
    “Yeah, okay...well, I can’t play unless you make me a chart or some sheet music.”

She could do a little more “improv” on the alto sax, but it was very stressful for her...even though she’d played hundreds of gigs, football games, recitals and concerts since she was 6 years old...

I can’t comprehend not being able to “fake” something for a song or two, especially if you know the chord changes and the key the song is in...but apparently that’s a thing.

Of course, I’ve been faking everything I do for 30 years, so...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    soundchaser59 and Wulf like this.
  11. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

12. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
    I tune while driving.

Fiesta Red, Wulf and P Thought like this.
  13. bcorig

Is that how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall?

Wulf and Peegoo like this.
  14. bcorig

In college playing at coffeehouses with acoustics we’d use a pitch pipe to tune one guitar then all plunk away looking at each other until the leader said “that’s close enough for Folk” and we’d start.

Bill Sheehan and Wulf like this.
  15. bcorig

I think I’ve seen a picture of Keith Richards with a capo on a Tele.

Wulf likes this.
  16. bcorig

You too?

Wulf likes this.
  17. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I think for some people it's difficult to go beyond following directions or interpreting things literally. There are always people who don't get the joke because they can't escape literal meanings. I remember as a child someone trying to explain a geometrical plane to me--like breaking the plane of a football end zone--and I just couldn't wrap my head around that. It was too abstract for me. I think it's good to remind kids to step outside the rules, especially if they like following directions and being obedient.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Wulf likes this.
  18. MrCairo46

i might be able to arrange such a thing........ he he he

19. Jeremy_Green

Jeremy_Green Tele-Meister

I don't know man, I don't really care about stuff like that. I got far bigger problems going on on the fretboard itself to worry about stuff like that lol. Clip it, don't, whatever - but for heaven's sake - tune quietly! Whatever allows you to do this, just yes.

Wulf likes this.
  20. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Yep, very clearly!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.