1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Headstock tuners look stupid and unprofessional

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Allenjason95

Allenjason95 Tele-Meister

I just think they look goofy. It's purely aesthetics with me, they work fine. I've had two clip ons that I just used for when I'm at home playing on the couch or something but the clip on part broke on both of them after not all that much use.

Like I said I have a boss tuner. I've never had any issues with it and doesn't make my guitar look goofy. It was more expensive but it's built like a tank.

2. Allenjason95

If I remember right he didn't even have his own amps, the show promoter had to provide them and they had to be a specific kind or Chuck wouldn't play.

He didn't have his band or his own equipment so it's no wonder his sound suffered. It's amazing someone of his caliber would put so little effort into making sure he he had a good, consistent sound at shows.

Wulf likes this.
  3. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

music by numbers for "nice"people
    nice to see some of us are still rebels with fire in our bellies

Allenjason95 likes this.
  4. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

That was just chuck...he thought him just being there was enough

5. Allenjason95

You're from England, style is a lot more important over there in rock, or at least it used to be, not sure about things now. I'm not a peacock or anything. But at shows I do notice bands' looks and I understand the importance of how a band looks and image.

Wulf likes this.
  6. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Robert Johnson didn't use a headstock tuner, and neither do I. It's a buzzkill on stage.

Wulf, superjam144 and Allenjason95 like this.
  7. Allenjason95

Yeah, my cousin was in a 90s cover band and it was just sad. He didn't even like half the songs they played.

I get wanting to play and that if you play covers of songs everyone knows you can get work in local bars but I'd rather just play in my basement TBH.

I like playing a cover or two of songs I genuinely love but if I had to play all covers of popular songs I'd shoot myself.

Wulf likes this.
  8. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

North East england...shiftless working class lad that plays rock n roll music without a care in the world
    and you are sort of right...but we do have a lot of grey flannel blues bands round here that are pretty much interchangeable...got asked to join one...i laughed and walked away...i think as entertainers we should look different...otherwise your just a bloke with a guitar...my hair is shoulder length...i dress in black.lots of copper and brass bling that i make..still fit

thats me on bass...i agreed reluctantly to do this...and only if it went out as Deep North
    the guy with guitar wrote it on finding out he had diabetes....we work on recordings together...the other 2 are the monkeys in this...just to get the numbers up
    bass is only going through a pathfinder10 bass amp...modded slightly

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    superjam144 likes this.
  9. Allenjason95

I get it. It's different here, I live in the midwest of the US.

But I do hate flannel. Always have because it's why my redneck relatives wore.

I'm not an entertainer, I've never made it past local open mic night but I have my pride and don't want to look goofy lol.

Wulf likes this.
  10. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

my last full time gigging band..we were Surf/rockn roll/punk/psychobilly band...happy to switch around in that lot depending on venue.
    psychobilly was always fun...covered myself in something that resembled blood...torn t shirt... 20121017_155513.jpg with that beastie ...flashing lights n strobes...me leaping around like a maniac...dripping red goo everywhere...we were told we looked psychotically terrifying but enthralling...my reply was "we did our job right then"...had a sax player just tuned to that and made do...it worked...no one ran away screaming...unless they had a nervous disposition...it was pur entertainment...we always said before playing...any idiots..bigots racists or religionists...please leave in an orderly fashion...or we will come round your house and break your favourite toys....

this sort of sound
    more than one way to skin a cat...ask the stuffed toy one i ripped up with a bag of goo in it

11. Allenjason95

I like that Vox, I've always wanted to get one. The Gretsh is good looking too.

Wulf likes this.
  12. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

I had a ticket to see him in 1994 in my home town, but sadly couldn’t go. My best friends and band mates at the time were so stoked to go see a legend... but.

He tuned at the start of the night, this held for about 2 songs, then he didn’t tune again for the whole show. Apparently by the end it was unlistenable.

:(

Wulf likes this.
  13. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Thanks..the Vox is a souped up AC30VR...stuck a 12AU7 in place of its 12AX7B...turned it into a monster.
    big 3D crunchy sound...twin reverb loud...even odin or thor couldnt shout above that one
    the Gretsch is an electromatic G2504 i got new in 1999
    changed pickups pots and put a nice big shiny handbrake on it...its as heavy as tasmania...solid body,,,but that sound it makes....is killer for rock n roll or psychobilly.

14. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Chuck was great in the day.(1950s)..but after his star waned he just made a tit of himself really

15. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

20121017_161728.jpg if gretsch decides to throw a string
    Sheraton rewired as gretsch
    please note...tuner left on top of amp

Allenjason95 likes this.
  16. Allenjason95

I've heard a lot of stories like that. Steve Jones told a story about going to see him, I believe in the early or mid 70s, Berry was part of some kind of rock and roll nostalgia show that featured a lot of the guys from the 50s. He said Berry was awful. I also remember someone (might have even been Jones) saying that Berry's son was playing with him but his style was almost surf music, and I can't imagine how that would have sounded mixed with Chuck's basic rock style.

17. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jumping in here. I use a clip on around the house and acoustic jamming/practice. Live it's a Korg tuner peddle. That way when I switch gtrs I'm not fooling around with clip ons.

I do leave my capo on my headstock though. Or is that another thread?

18. Allenjason95

Yeah and AC30 is on my list of Amps I want. I've always heard they're ungodly loud which is right up my alley.

Wulf likes this.
  19. Allenjason95

Dig the look and that's a good sound.

20. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

funnily enough with original liltube(that amp only has 1 in power amp section)..it wasnt that loud...tried loads of tubes.all sorts of12AX7s i had lying about,..some new some used but perfectly fine..no real improvement...last one...didnt even look what it was...in it goes...WHAMMMM....bit of a shock...looked at tube..12AU7...loud enough to loosen teeth and much much bigger sound...its been like it for ages..hasnt hurt it...but its loud...i A/Bd it with my mates 1965 AC30TB..so similar it wouldnt make a jot...and i still have 2 O/D channels...he didnt...he growls at it now...keeps saying he wants it...er nay lad nay
    and theyre dirt cheap compared to the all tube..get one and some 12AU7 tubes..you wont regret it
    just dont dime it and guitar in house!...it can go whisper to blizzard of nails just by using guitar knobs...to me the sign of a good amp

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.