Heads Up: Losartan Recall

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toast, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

JL_LI likes this.
  2. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

The recall is specific to one manufacturer's product, Torrent Pharmaceuticals.

Toast likes this.
  3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The drug my doc wanted me to start on earlier this year.

Lowered it myself.

Yet another example.

Drugs are bad.

Don’t do drugs

4. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

This is old news, and AFAIK, the problem has been dealt with. But, this is what happens when we have everything made in China, with little oversight, and with low costs and profit rather than quality control being paramount.

5. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

There was a recall involving Losartan from another company earlier this year, I believe.
    Possibly both from the same factory in China?

Toast and DougM like this.
  6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Thanks. I didn't know there was new warning from a different maker. I stopped taking losartan and olmesartan and only take amlodipine now for my high blood pressure, 'cause it affects my breathing, and my COPD, less than the others do.

Toast likes this.
  7. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Well, it was news to me :). I've been getting mine from Mexico so I have no idea about the manufacturing. I'm on a low dose, but I'm extremely active so I'm just going to stick with exercise 3/4 days a week. I don't really have hypertension, but I want to protect my kidneys the best I can so that's why I was on it. Anyway, thanks for all the info.

8. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

I was on that briefly, didn't like the way it made me feel, I dropped it on my own... Weening myself off of Carvedilol now.... Furosemide next...

9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

High potassium diet/no sodium/tons of exercise/hope for the best

DrPepper likes this.
  10. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

This problem goes back to 2015. Without getting too technical, Valsartan, a blood pressure med manufactured by Zhejiang Huahai Pharmaceuticals, was found to have higher than acceptable levels of nitrosamine impurity contaminats. Nitrosamine impurities are carcinogenic. Zhejiang Huahai has two business that should be of concern to everyone. They are a contract manufacturer of pharmaceuticals marketed under western sounding brand names. That Zhejiang Huahai is the manufacturer is often concealed. The second and possibly more serious problem is that Zhejiang Huahai manufactures precursors for drugs the company does not manufacture itself. That Zhejiang Huahei is the manufacturer of precursor chemicals is completely opaque to the consumer. Furthermore, the FDA has put Zhejiang Huahai on notice for poor or totally absent quality control on tested drugs. As consumers needing our meds, we are forced to take poorly quality controlled pharmaceuticals from ghost manufacturers until the FDA determines that a specific lot number is sufficiently contaminated to order a recall. THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT UNTESTED LOTS ARE FREE OF HARMFUL CONTAMINANTS. Greed and profiteering by both poorly regulated Chinese manufacturers and American marketers of their toxins as drugs are a danger to all. The link below takes you to the FDA web site where you can review the extent of the problem with just this single group of drugs. Myself, I never take any medication manufactured outside the US without searching the FDA web site first. That doesn't necessarily mean that precursor chemicals from China were not used, but American manufacturers are generally more fastidious about quality control than offshore manufacturers. I return anything I find to be suspect after purchase to the pharmacy and demand that my doctor prescribe a safe and tested product.
    https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safe...ceptor-blocker-arb-recalls-valsartan-losartan

geoff_in_nc likes this.
  11. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

All of this is why I fired my doctors* ten years ago and went with homeopathic and naturalist medicines.

They may not work as fast, but significantly less side effects.

*I still go to a regular MD when I have an emergency, severe illness or infection.

DrPepper likes this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Not being "flip", but almost EVERYTHING causes cancer. "Mother Nature" continuously and inexorably works toward achieving and maintaining a balance of population.....and humans in turn work toward thwarting that balance. To quote Jim Morrison....."No one here gets out alive".......

idjster and CK Dexter Haven like this.
  13. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

That might be true, but I think the people who ignore FDA recalls get cancer faster. That's just my own bias though. To each their own.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

Thanks, got this message both times and found my batch numbers didn't match the recalls.

15. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

LOL
    just drink water that’s what homeopathic is, and pray.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I take it but my pharmacy claims it doesn't apply to theirs.....

17. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

"All of this is why I fired my doctors* ten years ago and went with homeopathic and naturalist medicines."

It has become "trendy" to eschew western medicine & drugs of late, but trust me...homeopathic & natural medicines ain't worth a damn. They are pushed by left-leaning gummint haters & to rely on them when you have a genuine illness is very foolish.

bloomz and nojazzhere like this.
  18. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Thank you for your opinion.

By the way, that’s not an accurate description of me whatsoever, so thank you again for assuming you know me and how my family and I came to this very serious decision.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    nojazzhere likes this.
  19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Respectfully....I don't think your description of, for lack of a better characterization, "science scoffers and deniers" is very fair. These people come from EVERY persuasion in the world.....right, left, rich, poor, educated and uneducated. It simply requires an irrational suspicion of anything contrary to their own preconceived notions. Sadly, too many purveyors of "cures" to whatever ails us prey on the desperate with whatever will bring in the greatest profit, regardless of actual results. I am NOT lumping all doctors and science based practitioners in with any one group, any more than I would condemn ALL alternative forms of treatment. ANY method of treatment only serves to postpone the inevitable. Sorry to be the bearer of fact.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  20. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's

I'll be sure and tell that to my joints after I throw out all my turmeric/curcumin capsules. They will appreciate your insight.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.