Heads Up: Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb 2019 Black

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tenderfoot, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

I played one of these right next to a reissue in a shop. I thought, it sounds good but the reissue is way better.

Checked the back of the amp

Oh im in 1 watt mode.

Put it on full power and the differences are very minute. I believe that they stand out the more you push the amp. Reissue sounds more natural and warm when cranked.

To be honest, cranking a deluxe reverb is not in the cards very often though

That Cal Webway and The-Kid like this.
  2. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

The other guy said within a year. I said within two years of the amps’ release, which was this past summer. Make it 2022 if you want. Whichever timeline you prefer, $300 Tone Masters on the regular isn’t going to happen.

The amps came out six months ago to almost universally high reviews. Nearly everyone here that I’ve seen that has bought one is thrilled with the series. Many players have reported waiting lists at dealers, and I just don’t see Fender flooding the market with these, nor do I see them coming out with something quickly that’s going to get current and imminent owners to take a huge hit on resale.

I’d argue these are fundamentally different amps to the Cyber-Twin series — which would compare more to something like the Super Champ, Mustang series, or the Champion amps — but regardless, they’re in a more competitive and mature category than the one that existed two decades ago.

People know exactly what they’re getting into with these Tone Master amps, and there are plenty of other options at price points both above and below. I think more than perhaps any other segment of Fender’s amp range outside of the super limited custom-shop-level stuff, the average buyer of a Tone Master is going to be a bit more educated and a bit more savvy as to what they’re getting and why.

As of last night there was just one used Tone Master Deluxe on Reverb, at $650. It’s gone already at that price. There are a couple Twins there at $900 and $1000. Just one of either model on Guitar Center’s used list. None on eBay. If these were destined for the used market bargain bin within the next 12–18 months, we’d be seeing it already. We’re not.

I’m not saying value will hold up on these over the long haul the same way it has with the originals or even the tube reissues. The digital ones may get replaced with newer tech, but it won’t be within the next couple years, and even still, I think the brand and product equity — the iconic look and tone of these amps regardless of what’s inside — will keep these from being sold at yard sale prices for some time.

I could be wrong. But I think it’s more likely that I’m not.

3. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I think before I were to reach that conclusion and make that statement, I’d compare the reissue cranked through an attenuator and set to the same relative volume. Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t make those kind of judgements based only on my recollection of how another amp sounds, to say nothing of the fact that it’s sort of an apples to oranges comparison, since a reissue cranked is going to be a LOT louder than the TMDR set to 1 watt and things like the Fletcher Munson curve will come into play.

Not trying to be confrontational or contrary, just offering my perspective :cool:

The-Kid likes this.
  4. mugen74

mugen74 TDPRI Member

$300 used in two years? Hell, that’s what they should be selling for new now.

jh

That Cal Webway and The-Kid like this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

There will be plenty soon when the novelty wears off. Remember the Fender DSP? :lol:

stevemc and The-Kid like this.
  6. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I was a naysayer and a "tube guy" too until I played one. These are not the same tech as a kid's Mustang amp or the Line 6 amp you played 8 years ago. Technology evolves. Try one.

Blrfl, pugnax, Jakedog and 3 others like this.
  7. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

Lot of comments about price being asked and future value and warranty, ect. The amp sold already in less than 20 hours after posting. Perhaps someone took advantage of the "Make an Offer" and got a better price?

8. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

Maybe, but not to the tune of $300–400 as some here want to vindictively hope these amps fall to in the near future.

The fact that there aren’t any others available on Reverb and that this one seems to have sold quickly suggests that it was priced accurately, if even a little on the low side (though I’d still be willing to pay more to get new at that price, knowing how and where to buy at less than MSRP).

9. pugnax

pugnax TDPRI Member

10. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Yep. A solid state 112 amp by this name or any other at $650 is mighty steep if you ask me. And at $300, that speaker better be good.

mugen74 likes this.
  11. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Are they supposed to be less expensive because they're not tubes? Is tube technology supposed to be more expensive just because it's "cooler"? They've been stamping out DRRI circuit boards for 20-odd years, and tube quality has steadily declined. I'm not trying to defend the Tone Masters or put down tube amps - I have and like both - but I still don't get all the "they're too expensive" rants. They will sell for what the market supports, and the market is clearly supporting the price of the TMs, at least for now.

stilwel, RomanS, Jakedog and 2 others like this.
  12. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Use math....

650 plus 30$ with shipping is not the low side when you can buy new for 765....

Your actually getting ripped in this case.

13. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Cabinet and speaker aside...

How much does the dsp chip in this thing cost? Add to that the cost of a class-D solid state amp.

How much does the parts for a 20'ish watt tube amp with spring reverb cost? And assembly.

14. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

That's like saying cars should cost $4995 because you once drove a Ford Pinto in 1977.;):confused::D

BramptonRob1958 and hdvades like this.
  15. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

It's more like saying that I wouldn't pay today $30,000 for a Pinto.

Ignatius likes this.
  16. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Already covered in other threads but.... R&D costs, and what the market will support considering the feature set. You could buy the pile of parts I suppose.

Jakedog likes this.
  17. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Ha ha. Touche.

To be clear, I'm not here to argue with anyone. I think it's kind of amusing how much these amps have riled people up (and I'm not saying that to imply that you are riled - they are just controversial and I find it interesting).

I guess we've all got our reasons for playing what we play, and that's a good thing. Otherwise we'd all sound alike!

trxx likes this.
  18. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Sadly, if they made Pintos today they'd be 30 grand...

19. pugnax

pugnax TDPRI Member

I also enjoy the riling up. Fans of the amps get frustrated by people who haven't played or otherwise interacted with one comparing it to a Cyber Twin or a Katana, or considering them to be "solid-state amps" just because they have a class d power amp. They complain about the price without considering the immense value of the load box and IRs.

Of the people that have actually played one, a small number of people have complained about cork-sniffy things like tube swirl or punchiness or something. Most critics have played floor models, or gotten them delivered from a big box store and don't consider that the neo speakers need a serious break-in before they smooth out and get really full-sounding only to complain about a "brittle high end".

20. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.