1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Heads Up: Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb 2019 Black

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tenderfoot, Jan 8, 2020.

1. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

For what Fender is charging for these disposable amps, you could probably have someone build a real amp from a kit, such as a Weber kit with some upgraded parts.

2. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

Now you’re just trolling me.

3. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

It really does not matter what the price is now. When something is new, shiny and exciting people will pay for it. I paid for my Pro Junior IV at brand new retail price. I just wanted it, and I went out to get it.

As for what you are willing to pay for it, that's purely your own business. If you feel like the price will bottom out in a few years, hey speculate away. I know I've done my fair share of wondering when the price of certain things will go for second hand in a few years from now.

I can see how the Tone Master series is compelling: same looks as the classic BF stuff, lightweight, power scaling, options to record directly without having to mic it up. So much to rave about, much less nit-pick if the people in that market segment are more than happy with "good enough".

The thing about any amp whether tube, solid-state, or digital is whether the product will be superseded within the next 2 years, either by a line refresh, or a competitor comes out with a more compelling product.

From what I can tell, anything that isn't associated with some famous artist, or has some kind of cult following will most definitely see a huge drop in price two years from point of product launch. This isn't me being vindictive, or hoping that a product fails, but is the natural life cycle of electronic products whereby the manufacturer seeks to bring up sales after the initial growth, maturity peak and eventual decline.

Just look at a whole bunch of solid-state/digital products over the last 10 years that seemed compelling at the time. Off the top of my head, the one amp that sticks out is the Line 6 DT25/50. Beautiful tones, but horrendously expensive, and now they can't even give them away. Line 6 got bought out by Yamaha, and now their Helix is fighting for top spot with Axe-FX and Kemper.

And to be completely fair, look at how Fender have revamped their hot rod series. The Hot Rod Deluxe, Blues Junior and Pro Junior amps have never sounded better. And look at the prices of used amps in that series from yesteryear. They go for much lower than retail, but still retain some monetary value owing to their intrinsic value as a piece of gear.

So for those who are b*tt-hurt by comments that "the tone master will sell for $300 in two years time", please get over the fact that unless all amp production stops today and no more amps are produced, there will always be a supply of new amps that squash the price of old amps.

The-Kid likes this.
  4. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Those things were way overhyped, just the same as most 'game changer' modelers. They were ok sounding amps for what they were. But as you said, way too expensive. But they definitely do sound like what they are, not what they were hyped up to be. A thickened up modeler is what they sound like to me. No complexity, no great character, just a box of ok'ish models through a tube power amp.

This hype thing is a cycle that comes around every few years. It's a constant chase to do what good to great old school tube amps have been doing all along for, what? 70 years? Every round, the latest modeler is said to sound more real than the last. It sure seems a whole lot like Zeno's dichotomy paradox.

And beside all the other issues discussed already in this thread about modeler amps, here is another one to add to the pile. Real tube amps of good construction can be fine tuned and modded much more drastically to the liking of the player, all the way from input to output. A fixed modeler will always be just that. It is what it is with very little possibility of ever being anything different, in small or large ways.

The-Kid and Crawldaddy like this.
  5. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I agree with you completely on past history of modeling devices and the associated hype. I also agree with you completely on your point regarding the inability to mod a "fixed" modeling amp versus a real tube amp. But having spent some time with my Tone Master now, and having owned a DRRI some years ago and also a pretty long list of other tube amps over many years (many of them from boutique builders), I will say that the hype in this case is justified. They're really, really close in sound and feel. Some claim to hear small differences, some claim to hear big differences. I have good ears, and I'm not sure that I do hear differences. What I don't understand is why you and others are spending so much time arguing the perceived negative aspects of these amps. There's plenty of gear I decide is not for me. I might offer a comment or two on a thread maybe, but I move on and focus on using the tools that work for me to make music and help me do the job to become a better musician, gigging or otherwise. It's fascinating to me how these amps seem to have riled people up so much, almost as if they represent some sort of threat. I love tube amps and I still have one sitting here. I'm glad you like yours. Stick with it. Don't buy a Tone Master or any other modeling amp.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.