Heads Up: Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb 2019 Black

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tenderfoot, Jan 8, 2020.

1. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Dumbest post yet. Hey, Sheldon, we're musicians. Economic logic and common sense are not part of our lifestyle :lol:

2. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Okay have to agree with this guy here for all its worth.

Good post and yes lets not forget this.

Just my buidness side making some observations. But yes ultimately what you said here for the win

3. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

one thing i am sure of,the TMDR is not worth $600 more than my superchampx2.these TMs have the stench of vintage modern about them.time will tell.

The-Kid likes this.
  4. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

In reference to a “real” Deluxe Reverb: Fender stopped making a real mid-60s “blackface” Deluxe Reverb when the mid-60s ended. They haven’t made one since 1967/68.

Seriously — anything that’s not an authentic, unmodified mid-60s Deluxe Reverb is a facsimile to some degree, whether it’s the hand-wired 64 reissue, the popular 65 reissue, the new Tone Master version, a boutique copy, or — less tangibly speaking — a tone profile in any number of modeling amps or software.

Since owning an original in mint condition would be prohibitively expensive, I’m glad we have lots of options to get an approximation of the Deluxe Reverb tone and form factor in varying degrees — including a digital version that offers some modern conveniences in a familiar way.

It’s a great time to be a guitar player — there are so many great options at every price point that no one should feel like they have to settle for something they don’t like the look, feel, or sound of. It also means there’s going to be guitars and gear that some like that others don’t.

Let’s just wrap our heads around the fact that one’s aesthetic and sonic preferences are subjective, and that persistent negativity is energy better spent elsewhere.

5. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Man goes to guitar shop....

Doesnt like current tube amps because they are PCB now and "nothing like originals"....

further more doesnt like the tubes because they are now made in china and russia and "inferrior" to NOS USA tubes.......

What does he decide to do.....get a digital amp of course...made in china and the whole shebang......for practically the same price as the real ones.....

Snake eating itself.....full circle.......

The whole PCB vs Handwired is just semantics...having tried MXR Sugar Drive virtually identical to Tumnus same taper and gain identical minus the mids but essentially the same pedal, both are SMD......

Tried SmD versions versus bigger old capacitor and transister counterparts PCB TS9 vs Mini. PCB through whole part Way huge regulars vs Smalls....etc etc the same practically.

Handwired Princetons at the facility where they were made by the defunct Revival amps with vintage guitars....vs Princetons at GC and modern guitars...same goodness...

Also PCB is very servicible and many have lasted for years being repaired or without problems...JcM800....Mesas etc etc....

Using these Tone Masters.....there is a calculable difference between them and the real Reissues or real amps in general....it just doesnt have the mojo a real tube amp has IMo and IME period. And for those willing to spend all the money and go ahead I think its something they should know before getting into these.

6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I know that this is something very personal and dear to your heart, but if you really want to be helpful to the people that are considering these amps it would probably be more beneficial to them if you slow it down just a bit. What people want to know is how they work in real-world situations, not if they have enough mojo to satisfy somebody that is still caught up in the "Only tubes are good enough" mindset. Your contribution here, though valid, is based entirely on personal opinion with absolutely zero practical application of the gear in question-hardly an objective and unbiased assessment. Everybody knows that they are digital modelers, and everybody knows how much they cost.

7. 63topboost

63topboost TDPRI Member

I just bought a new TM deluxe last week. A couple of band rehearsals in... love the bloody thing. So much less frustrating to use than any of my vintage amps. No frigging volume soak to haul around, no step down transformer to haul around to keep the old amps from being fried from the modern wall voltages, or crapping myself with fear with the possibility of the value going to hell if you bash it loading it in the car or some dick walking off with it.
    Amps are tools, if they don't do what you need them to then they are boat anchors.
    I'd never be able to play tube version deluxe reverb at the volume I would need to get the tone I'm getting out of my TM at our rehearsal spot or the stages I play on. Those amps stink at 2 on the volume... squeak like a mouse tone. And then you try to correct it with sticking a solid state distortion pedal in front.... great....
    The amount of frustration I've had to get a tube amp to sound good in my apartment? Waste of time. The TM? Fantastic at low volume and with a little external headphone amp I have plugged in to the xlr out on this thing I have fantastic headphone volume deluxe tones.
    If I had the man cave, where nothing moves, no neighbours, etc. etc. and money to burn then ok, I could have some old stuff kicking around and "try" to get my money's worth out of them, like an old blackface deluxe for example which is about $3500 these days in my part of the world. THAT is not worth the money when it comes to smiles per dollar in my books.
    So a little more playing around with this thing, but I see an amp purge coming on my end and some freedom.

8. mugen74

mugen74 TDPRI Member

No, a new USA Tele is overpriced. They’ve been making these guitars since the 50’s. Nothing has changed. In fact, it’s all CNC now. If anything, they should be less. Yeah, you’re paying more for some dude to pay more attention to detail on the neck, but is that worth another $1000 over a MIM? You can build a better guitar to your specs for less. We can all admit we are paying for a decal.

jh

9. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

My local store put two Tonemaster deluxe amps side by side... but removed the tonemaster badge from one of them. They then told people the "tonemaster" series (while pointing to the one WITH the badge) was a digital model and said absolutely nothing about the one next to it.

Everyone was allowed to set the amps the way they wanted.
    Almost everyone chose the amp without the TM badge, claiming the tube amp sounded warmer & nothing beats tubes.

Confirmation bias hard at work!

10. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

This does not surprise me at all. From some of the responses I've seen about these amps in forums, it's almost beginning to feel like the tube thing is part of owning a "man card".

Frodebro likes this.
  11. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

This really doesn't surprise me one bit.

12. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Whew...is it just me or is anyone else tired?

13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Were the folks who tried out these amps not allowed to look in the back or reach back to the ( usual) 2 toggles to power UP, like what we do with tube Fenders?
    If they were allowed, wouldn't they notice something was different?

14. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

Just wait 3 years when they release the Tone Master ReIssues.

The DRTMRI and the TRTMRI will only be a shadow of the tones of the original DRTM and TRTM.

Then we can all complain about the vintage Tone Masters vs. the ReIssue Tone Masters.

15. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Wouldn't that miss the point of that little experiment ;)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Ignatius likes this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I feel like I'm running laps in a gym.

pugnax likes this.
  17. pugnax

pugnax TDPRI Member

For what it's worth, they're the same two switches in the (almost?) exact same place. If they did switch into standby the light would change color, and if they felt around it more it would obviously be different.

Chiogtr4x and codamedia like this.
  18. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Got it did not know that

19. Rev Hoodoo

Rev Hoodoo TDPRI Member

Hey, just got back from the landfill. No amps there by anyone. No electronics whatsoever. Go figure.

20. gregjhonda

gregjhonda Tele-Meister

"Landfill", great name for a new amp!

The-Kid likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.