Headrush Pedalboard. Who's got one, and do you like it?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by galaxiex, Jun 12, 2019.

1. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm seriously considering getting one of these...

Used to go old school pedal board into a vintage Fender amp, have my choice of 3 silverface,
    VC, PR, and a DR.

Now we have gone "ampless" for guitars in our band, so I go direct to PA from my old school pedal board.

It's working "ok" as I put a DI box at the end of my chain, but....

I've been watching u toob vids of the Headrush and it seems like something I would like.

I know the proof is to just try it, but what say you that have gone this route?

Thanks for all reply's! :)

2. galaxiex

So no one then? :)

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Actually I just clicked here to see what one looked looked like.
    I'm no help at all

4. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

Sometimes it helps to provide some media. These peeps dig pics.

[​IMG]

5. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

We sell them at the shop I work at part time. Most of the sales happen online for them so I've never really seen people check them out. The only time I saw someone use one was when Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal did an in store with Dave Elefson from Mega Deth. We sell more of the speakers for them. They're like monitors that are 1000 watts. They seem to get good reviews.

6. galaxiex

Thanks for the reply's folks.

Ya, I shoulda put up some pics, thanks for that.

I was hoping to hear from someone that went from a "normal" pedal board-amp setup, to the Headrush direct to PA.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get one, just have to move a few guitars that I never play.

7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

This is the big competitor for the Line 6 Helix, right? I'm sure people have talked about them on here. Do some searches for Headrush, Helix, etc.

8. galaxiex

Yep, did that.

Not much there...

I think the last post on these was a couple years ago.

Hoping to hear from someone with recent experience on these.

9. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

I hope you get some feedback here, but judging by 34 reviews averaging 5 stars on Sweetwater (see the pic I posted) somebody likes it. Probably not too many beginners reviews at that price point.

10. galaxiex

Thanks.

Ya I'm thinkin' you are correct in that.

There is the odd negative review here and there, but overall very positive.

Again, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get one.

I love tube amps, but the convenience and ease of use for the Headrush is very attractive.

Esp, for going direct to PA.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  11. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

I'm interested as well, when I first started gigging I used individual pedals, then went to an early multi FX (Boss ME5) but it was a pain to adjust on the fly, so I reverted to a pedal board. I hear the Headrush is possibly more easy to tweak in a live situation, if this is the case, I could see myself grabbing one eventually

12. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I think that solving the user interface has been as big a problem as getting the sounds right. Physical knobs are the best, until you're looking at the space shuttle controls at your feet on a dark stage. LCD Menus are cleaner, and probably cheaper, but a total PITA in most cases. Both Headrush and Line 6 have gone to some kind of a tablet-like setup is what I understand. The one I'm looking at - but can't afford right now since I just got a new guitar - is the Line 6 HX Stomp.

13. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

I have one and I love it. I use it through our p.a. I have pedals but being in New Zealand all music gear is
    expensive so I don’t own any high end stuff and down here high end includes Boss pedals!

The Headrush was obviously more affordable than the Helix and because I don’t play out much
    anymore I liked it most out of all the comparable units.

The ease of use was a big factor, you will love how quick and easy it is to set up a signal chain
    on the touch screen. I purchased some Celestion IRs which sound great.
    What is really awesome is that you can set up each song with its own signal chain as set lists,
    and you can assign effects to stomp buttons. Obviously you can use your favourite pedals
    In the effects loop. The patches are called “Rigs”, and to build one is a breeze, for instance,
    a Creamback IR, reverb, comp and you have a sweet chicken pickin’ Rig. And extra IRs sound
    great as overdrives.
    I bought mine after watching every YT clip I could find and I am still discovering cool sounds and
    have found less is more, e.g. using just an amp and an IR in a rig, but also getting cool sounds
    from many parallel or series chains of signal paths.
    So imagine you want to change your pedal board around and we all know it is a chore with Velcro
    and zip ties and wot not, we’ll with the Headrush it is a finger swipe to move any effect, delete or
    tweak and you can change parameters with your feet on the fly mid song!

galaxiex likes this.
  14. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

I have a Fender DRRI and after recording guitar parts in songs using
    this amp and then the equivalent in the Headrush I couldn’t hear
    any difference and I doubt any non guitarist in an audience could either
    and most guitar players probably but that is just my opinion,
    hell, I wear hearing aids!
    So for the pice of just 2 or 3 boutique pedals ($1599.00NZ)
    I am more than happy with it, but I still love my DRRI with
    a couple of pedals, happily I’m in a financial position to
    enjoy both.

3-Chord-Genius and galaxiex like this.
  15. galaxiex

Thanks very much!

This is the kind of response I was looking for. :)

I too have watched many YT clips,
    but it's nice to get feedback from someone "out in the wild" so to speak. :D

Certain songs we do require me to have very specific sounds/pedals engaged.

Last gig we played, I forgot to turn on one pedal that is very much needed for one particular song. oops.

This ^^^^ :D:D:D will really help!

Thanks again!

16. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

I'm a Helix user so I can't comment directly about the Headrush... but....

All of these units (Helix, Fractal, Headrush, etc...) are great. Check all the features and find the one that suits your needs and budget.

The REAL change is your way of thinking. Going direct is not the same as using an amp. You have to stop thinking about the sound of an amp and start thinking about the sound of an amp that has a mic on it... which is what you really hear on recordings/videos and even in live shows others than the smallest of venues. An AMP and a Mic'ed up Amp sound/feel very different from each other.

3-Chord-Genius and galaxiex like this.
  17. galaxiex

Thanks for the tip. :)

We are "kinda" used to that, as we mic the amps to PA and monitors in a live setting,
    and at practice we had started putting the mic'ed up amps in another room and running them to mixer and monitors.

Then we went pedal board direct to mixer and monitors. (with DI boxes)

I bought the Headrush yesterday and am still in the learning curve on it. :D

Might be a while before I get to use it with the band, as we are on summer hiatus.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  18. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

That latter part is rare... it's refreshing to see :).
    You are right, you are used to that sound if that is what you hear so the transition should be easier for you than it is for many others.

19. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

I got the HeadRush Pedalboard and the FRFR-112 two weeks ago.

I am a tube amp guy since back around 1968. Currently owning Matchless, Bad Cat, vintage Fenders, Bogner. Pedalboard loaded with all boutique pedals.

Last year I had the Helix and Headrush for a couple weeks. I thought the HeadRush had an edge over the Helix then. I returned them both and waited for things to get a little better.

New firmware came out for the HeadRush a few months ago.

So...... I love this thing. It sounds like real amps. IT responds like real amps. And, you don't have to spend a lot of time programming it. The 7" touchscreen makes it super easy.

I created a rig based on my Matchless DC-30 and about 7 effects pedals. I stood outside them room and had my wife plug my guitar from the HeadRush into the real rig -- back and forth without telling me what I was playing through. I was right as often as I was wrong. It is truly amazing.

I built a rig based on a 65 Fender Deluxe Reverb. It really nails all the sweet Fender sparkle.

Most of the video reviews you see show really high gain sounds. I don't do any of that. Check out this review by Jason Roller (guitar for country group Alabama).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  20. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

I haven't tried one, but IMO the two critical factors for any amp modeling are the qualities of the cabs and amps. Be sure in this price range your satisfied with these two before you make the investment. It's nice to have quality reverb and effects, but they are secondary IMO. Also, when you start adding in reverb and delay, DSP is a factor. If the unit doesn't have a lot of CPU power, you can easily hit the limitations of what the unit is capable of once you add a few of these effects.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.