Headphones!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gshep92, Oct 15, 2012.

1. gshep92

gshep92 Tele-Meister

I'm in the market for some new ones, I had a pair of Bose earbuds that shorted out (my third pair of these) only this time it's after the one year warranty! Mostly for just iPod listening. I'm looking for some over ear ones this time, I like Bose sound but what would you guys suggest? Beats by Dr Dre sound great as well but are overpriced I think... Thanks in advance!!

2. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

I've been really happy with audiotechnica, the pair I have now are called ATH-M30.. replaced a pair of sony mdr 7506's that only lasted a lil over a year before one of the drivers went out. have had the AT phones for several years now, they sound just as good and seem to be far more reliable

3. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Someone here once suggested AKG 240s

I'm yet to try them, but their supposed to be excellent.

4. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Dre are terribly overpriced even at US prices - other countries RRP is double that, and that's why they're the most faked phones in the internet.

You can get better sound than Dre's for less, Audio Technica, Beyerdynamic, AKG, Shure - all far better value.

5. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

IMO, The best combination of sound, portability, and price (around $20) for over the ear headphones are the Koss KSC75. If you never plan to take them out of the house and don't plan to run them on a headphone amp, then I'd suggest Sennheiser HD595 if you can find them - they seem to have been replaced by the 598.

6. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

The 75s are stupidly good, even at 3X the price. May not be ideal for out and about tho, as they will let sound in and out.

7. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

If the Dr. Dre are to pricy then you probably would never consider the Audeze LCD-3, that some say they are the best cans they've ever heard.
    Now the STAX SR-009, those are just overpriced.

8. LarsOS

LarsOS Tele-Holic

ATH-ANC7b from Audiotechnica are good headphones, and they are noise cancelling. Maybe a bit bulky, but good value for money IME. Costs around $115 I think.

9. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

Koss Porta Pro. Absolutely love them. My daughter has the Beats bye Dr. Dre, and she always gravitates toward using mine.

Porta Pro's are super inexpensive and have a lifetime warranty. They look straight out of the 80's, but it's retro-cool.

10. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

Closed back or open back? I have 2 different pairs of AKG closed backs and they sound great and are lightweight, but they're pretty sweaty. I don't know if that's a problem with all closed back design or just the AKGs. Something to keep in mind.

11. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

More a feature of design/padding than anything else, would be pretty common to many fullsize phones. Open backs only have the back of the drivers exposed.

12. Paleus

Paleus Tele-Meister

I like Sennheiser HD280 Pros. Pretty good for just $99.

13. wshelley

wshelley Tele-Holic

Bose is the best that I've ever found. Go find them at the outlet and save a few bucks

14. Canuckcaster

Canuckcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I got a pair of the Dre earbuds because they were 60% off. They sound fantastic, but not 2/3 more fantastic. I think it's because the microphone isn't compatible with any phone other than the iPhone 4(S). I also have the Sony MDR V6's and they are excellent as well as being bulletproof. As with guitars, if you can, try before you buy.

CC

15. ashplank

ashplank TDPRI Member

spending $30 or $300 they all seem to last me the same amount of time , however I have had good luck with both Koss and Sony . No need to spend over $100 no one seems to be making any thing that sounds better to me above that price point . (maybe it's just me)

16. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

You know all the audio forums say Bose is an acronym - for Buy Other Sound Equipment. I got a Bose HT years ago and anything 1/3 price sounds as good. It's small and the speaker are cute though. Can't say any of their phones are worth the money though.

Bose are pretty much Beats forerunners, all price and not much more. But like Beats, they're available everywhere to demo, that's where the guys who've been making headphones for decades fall down - the saturation marketing. But instead of spending that marketing money, that the consumer pays for, they sell better phones for less.

17. drewsblues

drewsblues Tele-Holic

I assume you mean "earmuff-style" headphones when you say over-the-ear? Or do you mean earbuds with the hook that wraps around your ear?

Anyway, Lifehacker just recently polled their readers to see which headphones were the best. The top five are reviewed here:

http://lifehacker.com/5949489/five-best-headphones?tag=hive-five

A timely read, as you're in the market and all...

18. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I've had my Grado SR 80's for so long I had to get new ear pads for them. They are my favorite, even comparing them at with headphones costing 3 times as much.

19. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For iPod use, make sure you stay away from the higher impedance models (200 ohm), they need more power to drive them than iPods typically can put out. There are a ton of models out there in the 80 ohm range, stick with these.

20. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

+ 1 (although I have nothing to compare them to)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.