Headphones: Zoom G3n vs G5n - any difference?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by VerySlowHand, Jan 17, 2017.

1. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Hello. Most of my playing is at home with headphones.

I've got a G3n on trial and the 'headphones out' (not dedicated) is slightly muffled. Tried all the cabs, Mic On/Off etc and the best I can get is like having the tone rolled off halfway. It sounds much better through my amp (Blackstar ID30 on a clean, dry setting) and headphones out of that.

I'm getting an RP360 tomorrow, so I can compare it with the G3n - and from what I've read, others have said the Zooms in general are not great with phones, but the Digitechs are.

I like the Zoom interface and drums with the looper, so can anyone tell me specifically if the G5n, with a dedicated 'headphones out' is any better than the G3n?

Thanks.

dotpc likes this.
  2. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Okay... I'll part-answer my own question.

Got the RP360 today and the headphones out is like night-and-day compared to the Zoom - the RP is like hi-fi.

BUT (and this an edit from earlier, when I was giving up on the G3n)... I added an equalizer to the G3n effects chain and after a bit of twiddling it's sounding great!!! As good as the RP. It does eat up two effects slots out of the seven though... excuse for G5n ;-)

I guess all of this could be put down to user error, but I don't know why Zoom can't get the emulated headphones out, at least near to decent, straight out of the box, like Digitech do.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    dotpc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.