Headphones sound thin & distant. Normal?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by OwlPants, Jun 7, 2015.

1. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

I've got a pair of Sony MDR-V6's that I've had for years and a Yamaha THR10C along with a few modelers on my iPad. Through either device, the sound in my headphones comes across as very thin and distant; completely lacking the presence of playing through the Yamaha's speakers.

I'm curious: Is this the typical headphone experience or is it just my particular set? They are a universally well regarded model and seem to perform fine when listening to music. Just wondering if it's worthwhile to try something else but I don't have another set to A/B on hand.

2. voodoo_idol

voodoo_idol Friend of Leo's

3. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Did they always sound bad, or just with the amp or iPad? They are decent headphones, they should sound fine. Could be an impedence problem, like voodo said, but IME, not likely. Most headphone outputs are compatible with Sonys. Could be blown drivers. If they took a high-level low frequency pop, they can blow out.

4. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

They sound decent if I pump music through them from the iPad so I have no reason to suspect they are damaged.

I can certainly hit a usable volume with the guitar patched through either device, it's just so thin.

For example, if I dial in a nice thick clean sound on the THR10C and then switch to headphones, the tone is just gutted. Bottom end disappears and sounds kind of nasally.

5. voodoo_idol

voodoo_idol Friend of Leo's

6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Often times what sounds good through speakers in the room is going to sound completely different through headphones. Try dialing in the amp when you have the headphones on instead of through the speakers first.

7. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

Good to know. Trying to find the output of the THR10C as well...

Yes, of course. I can't dial in an adequate sound either. People are usually very happy with the THR10 with the headphones so I think I'm missing something here.

Perhaps I'll pick up a new set of cans and see if things improve. The ATH-M50x looks perfect and have a much lower impedance.

8. Frodebro

The reason I went in the direction of the amp settings is because you mentioned that playing regular music through them sounds fine, which (to me) draws the problem away from the headphones. Have you tried it with the delay and reverb turned off?

9. OwlPants

OwlPants TDPRI Member

Makes a lot of sense!

I see elsewhere that you use headphones with your THR - which set and are you pleased?

10. Frodebro

I have a set of Sennheiser DT-770s that I really like. These were chosen for home recording, though, and using them with the modelers I own is a secondary thing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.