Headphones practice, travel-friendly - Digitech Trio Plus or something else?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Wallaby, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Mpd2378

Mpd2378 TDPRI Member

Either trio+ or boss br80 will do the trick.

2. Vognell

Vognell Tele-Meister

I like the little Amplug Vox Headphone Amps for their simplicity and reliability. Easy to chuck in your guitar case and take with you.

The HX Stomp is also pretty portable, and can be set up to give you some really good sounds through headphones, especially if you use impulse responses.

For late night practice at home, I use the HX Stomp with my Grado SR225 headphones. Not the same as amp-in-the-rooms, but plenty good.

For travel, the Amplug Vox AC30 with a set of Inexpensive Sony MDRzx110 headphones...Not great headphones, but I don't care if they get mangled or lost. I used to use a set of AKG K450s... sounded nicer... but they got mangled.

You can travel with HX Stomp, but you need to have AC power available, and a guitar cable (rig will include HX Stomp Box, External power supply, guitar cable, headphones). You will have access to a large selection of amp models and effects, if that's what you need. Also works well as recording interface if you want to use your laptop to record while traveling. You can route in backing tracks for practice, if you like. Sound quality through good headphones is excellent, but you do need to optimize your patches for the headphones. Use of Impulse responses (IRs) is highly recommended. The HX Stomp will cost you about $600, but worth every penny. I've paired mine with a Full Range Full Response speaker and use it for acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass, and keyboard. The Impulse responses available for acoustic guitar on the HX Stomp are fantastic, and turn the usually harsh, quacky piezo pickups on most acoustic electric guitars into a much more natural and realistic acoustic tone.

*** The HX Stomp is definitely more than you need for a travel and practice amp, but its utility as a recording interface and modeler for a variety of instruments makes it a sound investment.....if you need it for those other purposes.

The amplugs just plug into the guitar, headphone into amplug, and you're set. You get tremelo (3 speeds, available with other effects) and your choice of either reverb, delay, or chorus. You can also use the auxiliary input for backing tracks. The device is built for headphones and is ready to go. Top of the line sound quality? No. Variety of tones? No. If you have hot pickups, you will have a hard time getting a clean tone. However, it ain't bad, its super simple, and it ain't expensive. ($35). There is also a Blackstar version for $45.

*** The amplug units do the trick, are inexpensive (thus no tears if lost or broken in travel), and are easy to use. You can keep one in your pants pocket with a set of wired earbuds if you want, and be ready to jam at a moment's notice.

nomadh likes this.
  3. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Thanks Vognell, lots to digest and I appreciate the detail you included.

I'm starting to understand more and more of what I'm reading from the manuals and reviews the units everyone has been mentioning.

I hold on to the idea of choosing carefully and being able to use the travel gear for other purposes at home. One thing I'm still interested in is a Trio+ as a practice tool, and I believe being able to keep the the signals from that separate ( not run through the guitar effects ) seem necessary.

I think the method there would be to put whatever amp & cab modeling unit I have into the Trio+ effects loop and then taking the output of the Trio+ into either headphones or powered speaker.

The Waza Air headphones seem to be the pinnacle of convenience - it's all right there, nothing else needed, plug and go. But integrating them with other components seem like a problem.

4. Rjelecaster

Rjelecaster Tele-Meister

Did you try headphones with the Blackstar Fly?

5. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

im glad im not the only one who’s a fan of Grado headphones.

i practice with my iRig through Garageband so i can choose what amp i want and the app can be set up to work while in another app (jamming with Spotify songs for example), and Grado headphones. No more batteries, no more adaptors, can fit in your pocket, you just need guitar cables and your phone (app).

6. Wallaby

I did not, is it better sounding?

I was very put off by my hotel room. Both chairs had arms, I forgot to book one with a couch, and the bed was so high it was not comfortable to sit on its edge for a long period.

The experiment lasted about 10 minutes and I never found a sound, and I put it all away and got out my book.

7. mcfm2n

mcfm2n Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Line 6 Pocket Pod !

8. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Do you travel with a laptop? Or Android/iPhone?

You can get interfaces to run from a guitar's 1/4" jack into the computer/phone. Software will give you all the amps/cabs/effects you could want plus recording if you want to capture something. Then send the signal from the computer/phone to headphones or a speaker via wire or bluetooth.

iRig works with phones for under $20 for the original version (there are newer versions that cost more but still sub-$100).
    [​IMG]=$100

Or 1/4" to USB cables are under $15:
    [​IMG]

15 or so years ago I traveled with a Fernandes amp-in-body short-scale guitar. That worked (I could unbolt the neck and it would fit in a carry-on) but today's solutions are so much easier and sound tons better.
    [​IMG]

9. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

I got a pandora PX3 for <50 used I think and it is quite versatile. I used it as my fx into my gig amp for awhile but it works great into headphones. Has some drum beats and a drum track designer maybe can add a bass line, i don't remember maybe if not the px4 or 5 can if that matters.
    I also got a vox amplug and its a very nice ultra portable low battery use headphone amp. Has a few little effects and some gain variations.

10. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have the Blackstar version of the AmPlug 2, and I love it. Clean, OD, and crunch modes, ISF, and an 3 effects- reverb, chorus, and echo.
    Total blast, surprisingly great sounding.

11. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

I didn't realize there were different amp models for each genre in the Trio +, so I pulled mine out all excited and ran through them. Maybe it's my headphones, but to my ears there's not a single tone in there that I would enjoy using. And I'm not a tone snob, just nothing sounds good to me.

For headphone/mobile practice, it's hard to beat the Amplug series though.

12. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Could you not use the amplug in to the Trio +?

13. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

The little cox is pretty cool.they are fragile though I've gone through 2

Deathray likes this.
  14. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Thanks for the heads up! The construction could be a bit heavier, for sure

15. zipseattle

zipseattle Tele-Meister

16. Wallaby

The Rushead Max can stream music from your phone I take it?

17. zipseattle

zipseattle Tele-Meister

Yes, it has AUX in, so you can stream from your phone or other source. Headphones out so you can play along with the AUX in and hear both. Great for late night practice. Very portable - Rushead Max plugged into the guitar, earbuds, and the phone with an aux cord. Charges via usb.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.