Headphones practice, travel-friendly - Digitech Trio Plus or something else?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Wallaby, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I probably described it badly.

I don't find headphones generally lacking in depth, richness, or bass. A lot depends on the headphones.

Earbuds, yes, definitely.

2. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

headphone-amp.png I have one of these. It's tiny, sounds fine for practice, takes any pedals you want to use. Under 50 bucks, from ElectroHarmonix

3. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I'll endorse that endorsement. :) That thing is a blast to play, lots of effects, amp sims, and cab sims.

4. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Just to throw something different out there - this summer I spent a few weeks away on business. I brought a tele, Trio (I just have the basic one), Joyo American Sound, and a little bluetooth-type speaker that has a 1/8 aux input. Tele->Joyo->Trio->Speaker.
    It was kind of clunky to set it all up, but I got a very practice-friendly setup in a small package from stuff I already owned. Next time I will probably just take the Yamaha THR10c but it does weigh a bit more and take up more space.

5. Wallaby

More ideas - thank you. I like the modularity of it.

6. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

id say the Mooer GE200. IR capable. pretty decent models. good enough for FOH if you ever ran into that. turn amp bocks off when you have a jam on a real amp and still have all your presets. small enough to travel easily. small enough to add to your regular pedal board at home when youre there if you wanted too. also has an aux in you you could just plug whatever you want into it and jam along to free backing tracks online and USB for several more options im sure. $0.02

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BFQCGN9/?tag=tdpri-20

7. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

8. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

This little guy 40 bucks and it has an aux to jack the cellphone into it as well for backing tracks if you please

Attached Files:

9. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

Attached Files:

Deathray likes this.
  10. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

This things cool it super small it sounds great has 3 channels clean dirty and brown tone and volume.i tbi I it delays too but I hardly use it anymore since I got an attenuator for my deluxe

Deathray likes this.
  11. Turtleneck

Turtleneck TDPRI Member

I wish I was smart enough or had enough patience to learn how my Trio+ even works.

I can't figure it out, I have it boxed up and for sale now. The instructions are short and vague, I'm lost.

12. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Thats a pity, they are pretty cool units. Im happy to help via pm if you have any questions and want to give it a last shot before you sell it....

13. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The full instruction book is/was available for download from the Digitech website. It is a comprehensive guide to using the Trio+ running to many pages. Worth downloading it and going through it.

iBloke likes this.
  14. Wallaby

Continuing the knowledge quest, and looking at powered small speakers or monitors in addition to headphones output.

With amp modeling in use, for a speaker I'd bypass Cab IR modeling, but for headphones I'd probably want Cab IR modeling? Is that correct?

I found these - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z6P19Y9/?tag=tdpri-20

I don't think I consider wireless or Bluetooth a requirement, but I'm willing to be convinced.

15. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

A lot of the devices I've tried have been pretty poor at actually driving headphones. If you picked a particular device you might then want to go take it out and go headphone shopping with the device + guitar. Hard to do at this point I think. The issue seems to be weak headphone amps in a lot of these devices, especially if they're powered by a single battery.

The Yamaha THR models have a beefy headphone amp and can drive the headphones well to sound great in my experience. They sound great.

16. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

Since the Mooer GE200 got thrown in, let me put in a suggestion for the Hotone Ampero or its just-introduced, physically-smaller-but-just-as-capable little brother, the Ampero One. I play through my Ampero with a pair of pretty inefficient Sennheisers and and the headphone amp's got plenty of oomph to drive them.

bgmacaw likes this.
  17. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I use the Line 6 JM4 for this type of thing. It's got all the Line 6 amp models and effects and so forth. Plus it has looping capabilities and preloaded jam tracks in various styles. I bought the demo model for $100 from my local Guitar Center...maybe 10 years ago. For travel, I carry mine in an old laptop case (including the power supply, headphones, and guitar cable)...or just put it in my suitcase with clothes and everything else.

18. Wallaby

WRT the Ampero - wow! That thing does a LOT and has a LOT of jacks.

19. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

I tend to spend a lot of time researching purchases like this and look for bang for the buck. This is where I landed for a MFX box. So far I'm having a blast with it. Unless you're a metalhead, a lot of the stock patches aren't all that great, but after spending some time with it, I've come to the conclusion that it's a good unit.

Hotone got the user interface on the unit and the Mac/Windows app right, too, and they're pretty responsive to bugs and feature requests.

20. Wallaby

I don't have a multi-effects unit in mind at all, but it seems to come with the territory if you're looking for amp and cab models.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.