1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Headphones practice, travel-friendly - Digitech Trio Plus or something else?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Wallaby, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hello,

Apologies if this should have been posted in Modeling Amps instead.

I travel every few weeks for work and stay in a hotel for 1-3 nights depending, and every time I vow to get a travel rig together so I can take a guitar and get in some practice time.

I am traveling later this week and once again I don't have a plan, so I thought I'd get advice now for the next time.

I'd like a pedal or device that I can plug my guitar in to and hear through headphones. I'd like to have a good, realistic amp sound. I don't need much in terms of effects - a little reverb is what I normally use.

I tried originally to use a Zoom G1on and didn't care for the sounds from its available amp and cabinet emulations, and the interface is distressingly inconvenient to use.

Small size and easy power requirements is a plus.

To contradict my "small and simple" credo above, I have toyed in the past with getting a looper, got one, found it had a bug and it bricked and I returned it so I never got into looping. I've been eyeing the Digitech Trio Plus as a practice device with a lot of capability to be as simple or as complex as I want.

Can the Trio Plus be used in a simple way - not even looping or training the band, just plugging in to get its amp emulation into my headphones? From the demos I've watched I know it has the capability to be a lot more complex and full-featured than just plugging in and practicing, but sometimes that's what I'm going to want to do.

Is the amp and cab sim for the headphones out of the Trio Plus configurable? I mean, are there a couple different amp models and cab sims to choose from? I didn't see mention of this, and realize that isn't what the Trio Plus is for.

If I really need an amp modeler for headphones use that is separate from the Trio Plus capability, I can easily forget about the Trio plus.

I'd love to hear your advice on this!

Thanks everybody,

- John

2. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The Trio+ has a number of amp sounds, but, as far as I've ever been bothered to work out, they're tied to each genre.
    The headphone output is rather good too. I can't remember if you need to train the band and have the backing playing in order to get the amp sounds, but even if you do, you can just turn down the bass and drums. It's been a while since I used my Trio+ through headphones, but the impression I have of it is that it was pretty good. If it was poor, I'd remember.

The Trio+ is much more than that though, and when not travelling, I'd lay odds on you getting a substantial amount from it once you've figured the sequencer. A fantastic pedal. Mine -never- leaves the home board.

3. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

THR 10C with out head phones works fine in hotel rooms, I've used one the past three years.

gregulator450 likes this.
  4. Wallaby

Yeah, I think the amp modeling part of the Trio Plus is essential but secondary to its primary purpose. I'm not too sure it's ideal to view it as an all-in-one device for my purposes.

But thanks!

5. Wallaby

That's great - and I know I'd rather not wear headphones at all.

When you've tried it with headphones, was the sound quality good?

Thanks!

6. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Either way, I just don't like headphones very much. I have the pre bluetooth 10c, once I get a Bluetooth adapter I'm going to try the headphones wireless. I travel about 275 days a year, never had a complaint in a hotel room.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

7. Wallaby

Yikes, that's a lot of traveling.

I'm sifting through the different THR10 models trying to understand how the differentiate themselves.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I think it is a great idea ... eventually, but I would recommend a used Boss or Digitech looper just to ease yourself into looping first. I have the Trio+ and run it into another looper for full satisfaction. @ronzhd has a great suggestion with Yammy THR 10C. Run a simpler looper into that amp. Just acquiring the skills for looping will keep you very busy for a few business trips. Later on, the Trio+ along with your first looper into the 10C will keep you entertained on your trips ... forever. If you are a songwriter, the Trio+ will eventually be a great solution without the amp, but still would need another looper for saving lots of ideas.

Good luck and enjoy the looping adventure.

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I use my Vox Mini G3 when I travel for work.

10. pj1440

pj1440 TDPRI Member

I use a boss br80 for headphone practice. It is tiny and can record too. Has basic effects and amp modeling.
    Edit added photo
    IMG_20191019_174549.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  11. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Those little BOSS BR things ^^^^ are incredible through headphones, but for easy packing and an easy-to-use looper I'd get a ZOOM G1 Four (takes batteries, ditto G3), or a G3n (mains only). Not sure you can get a device that's as simple as you need any cheaper.

(I could never got a decent sound out of the Trio+ with headphones.)

pj1440 and guitarmikey like this.
  12. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

The Zoom G1 Four through headphones was my rig for a month this summer. It did everything I needed and sounded good (to my ears). One of my best purchases from last year.

By general consent the G1 Four amp models and drives are much improved from the previous generation of Zoom multieffects. In my opinion, the G1 Four interface is well-adapted for home and travel use, but not live use.

13. Wallaby

This is all good information, everybody, thank you!

14. Wallaby

Question about the THR10c - can its amp voices be changed with a software update?

15. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

I have a THR10, but my best travel set up with headphones is a Line 6 Pocket Pod. Packs small, runs on batteries, has a aux input for phone or iPod for backing tracks, has a headphone jack of course and fantastic sound quality.

ABB76EC6-EB95-4C32-8A48-721A7600402F.jpeg

16. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

Yes! Boss MicroBR here - older version, 4 tracks, drums, GtrSounds...

rickthescot, BB and pj1440 like this.
  17. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

18. Wallaby

The Pod and the Waza headphones look very interesting indeed, thanks for the tips!

I was able to borrow a Blackstar Fly amp and try it in the hotel this trip. I was able to figure out that it isn't the answer at least for me, but I see the possibilities of the micro format. Careful positioning and it sounded a lot bigger than it really is.

It just wasn't rich or deep enough sounding; I am sure I hadn't optimized it fully and given more time it would have sounded better than my initial impression.

What about... an Iridium using headphones, or even through a small monitor? Just throwing that out there.

I seems like for for sound quality in a complete, compact package the THR amp is hard to beat.

Having it fit easily into a suitcase would be a huge plus.

Also, have to stay in rooms that have armless chairs.

19. Wallaby

Thought I'd share this Waza Headphone review.

Heh :)

20. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

"Rich and deep" is sort of antithetical to 'through headphones'.

BB likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.