Headphones only!!

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Howlin Eddie, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Howlin Eddie

Howlin Eddie TDPRI Member

Hi,
    i'm in the market for a new multi FX(using me70 at the moment).I use headphones 99% of the time own a THR5 but very little use. ,I,ve had big and small amps and valve amps in the past way too loud for home use. I make most use of amp and cabinet sims don't use effects as much ,but need good reverb and looper Anyone using GT1,GT100,G5n or G3n thru headphones and what is your thoughts.

chemobrain likes this.
  2. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

My experience with Boss, Roland and Vox products has been very positive using headphones. Zoom not so much.

Howlin Eddie likes this.
  3. Howlin Eddie

Thankyou DougM

Thats good to know

4. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I use a Zoom G1Xn with headphones. Once you dial it in, it sounds very good. It doesn't have a looper, but the newer version, the G1on/G1Xon, does.

Howlin Eddie likes this.
  5. Howlin Eddie

Thx for info LutherBurger.

6. dotpc

dotpc TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I use the Line 6 Helix almost primarily with headphones. After turning on the input pad, the experience has been awesome. It is worth saving up for. The interface is unmatched.

Howlin Eddie likes this.
  7. Howlin Eddie

Thx dotpc
    I'll try and track one down and have a play

dotpc likes this.
  8. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

We had company last week so I used headphones with my Boss GT-1 last week. I probably didn't play more than an hour, all told, but what I heard sounded good and there was nothing that grated on me during that time.

At the cheaper but still usable end, I also like the Vox Amplug, which I played for two weeks while traveling last summer. Nice tremolo! This was the AC30 Amplug, and I was playing it clean; don't have experience with the gainier Amplugs.

I haven't played it with headphones, but I have a Zoom G3 in the FX loop of my Monoprice 15W tube amp. Mind you, this is the G3, not the G3n, which latter is the current version. Maybe I just know it better, but I like its delays and tremolo better than the Boss equivalents. I wasn't so happy with its amp sims. Clean, it sounded fine, but crunchy sounded digital. I'm not saying these things can' t be dialed in, but (to my ears) the Boss GT-1 is more satisfying as an all-in-one amp and effects unit that I can just carry under my arm and plug into a PA. That said, I've heard very good things about the amp sims in the newer G3n, so that difference may have shrunk or even swung the other way.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Howlin Eddie likes this.
  9. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

I'll second the Helix. The UI is so user friendly and the sound is finally something I don't consider a trade off compared to the traditional tube amp and analog pedal setup.

If the Helix is outside your price range, compare the POD HD with the Boss units. I started with the "bean" HD model and was really happy with it for a few years. It sold me on amp modeling so I decided to move up to the Helix. In both cases, I only play through headphones since the only time I get to play is after everyone goes to bed.

dotpc and Howlin Eddie like this.
  10. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Don't understand why the THR is not being used .sounds great through headphones I think .

Howlin Eddie likes this.
  11. Howlin Eddie

Hopefully will be giving a g5n and a gt1 a try tomorrow.Not too keen on the THR thru headphones sounds a bit tinny to me but could be my old ears.would love the Helix
    but too expensive.I,ve been looking around for a Pod HD a bit rare.

12. helloTO

helloTO TDPRI Member

Not a specific recommendation per say, but I’d keep in my any software or hardware that allows a doubling effect to give some stereo spread in the headphones. Makes all the difference when it comes to feel and a sense of space that you would have if using an amp in a room.

13. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Holic

If you have an IPad or IPhone, try the free Bias Amps app. It’s free and has a noise gate and reverb. I use it direct at church, and it sounds nice. Very tweakable and you can download other profiles for free as well although some do cost. Still, nice!

14. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Shane at In the Blues has been using the new Mooer GE200 in his videos, where he's playing with the Mooer going direct into his computer, and it sounds really good. I imagine that's pretty much the same as using 'phones. Keep in my though, that every set of phones is going to sound different. You have to find a set of phones that sounds good to you with whichever box you're using. I've had amps that I thought the headphone out sucked, and then I tried a different set of 'phones, and it sounded great.

15. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I have several guitar rigs and I am considering using my Vox Lil' Night Train head as a dedicated headphone amp. There is nothing like a tube headphone amp.

16. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

I have been using the digitech GSP1101 preamp processor for quite awhile now with headphones (Sony MDR 7510)I I discovered the Digitech GSP1101 watching a video0 with Dweezil Zappa showing his live setup, he said that he had two of them in his rack and that they did old tube amps really well, bought it knowing that I could return it, I kept :D it

17. eclipse

eclipse Tele-Meister

Another vote for the Zoom G1on. Great headphone practice device. Long battery life, small and portable and useful features to enhance practice such as drums, metronome and looper. Sounds great after you create your own presets.
    I purchased a editor app for 5 euro that works a treat and has a linux version.

https://www.1controller.co.uk/

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.