Headphones for Amp Practice (Katana)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by nicknklv, Jul 10, 2020.

1. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Holic

Recently I have been playing my Boss Katana more and more through headphones, especially since both my girlfriend and I have been working from home full-time since March. It's a one bedroom apartment, so no other options really.

I've been using a pair of Philips SHB9850NC so far, which are OKish, but the plastic's starting to break on one side and they're less and less useable. The way it looks I'll have to keep going through headphones for a good while going forward, so, I'm considering upgrading to a better set of headphones that'll give me a good guitar signal straight from the amp, and comfortable to wear for long periods of time. I'm assuming closed-back is the way to go, as the sound leakage from the open/semi-open could be a problem.

Do you have any recommendations as to what I should look at? I've seen some suggestions for Sennheiser HD280, Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro, and AKG K240 (though that one is open back, and I think it would be too much sound leaking for my needs). I'm willing to go up to about 150$/Euro for a good pair that'll last me.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  2. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Big fan of the K240s here. I prefer open back, less fatigue if you have them on for a long time.

If leaky noise is an issue then I use closed back Sony MDR V700. But they're not as comfy.

nicknklv likes this.
  3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I love my K-240 Studio headphones, but they require a lot of juice to sound right and many outputs, like the one in my Fender Champion, can't drive them properly.

In my experience, guitar amps' headphone outs don't sound very good anyway (Note: I've never played a Katana, though) so comfort is more important than sound quality in this situation. My favorite pair for headphone practice is a low-fi pair of Yamaha headphones like this:

[​IMG]
    They sound terrible for music, but their poor fidelity is a good thing with harsh-sounding guitar amp outputs.

If headphone bleed is a problem, you may be playing too loud. Preserve your hearing; you'll need it later.

nicknklv likes this.
  4. Javier668

Javier668 Tele-Meister

Sony mdr 7506 rocks!

Pointmonger, nicknklv and Saxonbowman like this.
  5. Saxonbowman

Saxonbowman Tele-Meister

Yes! The Sonys are very comfortable and they sound great. They are inexpensive compared to other premium headphones. Mine are about five years old and the pads are worn out. I’ve just ordered replacement pads. Should keep them going for another five years.

Javier668 likes this.
  6. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Holic

Went over to try some of these today and I think I'll go with the DT770 80ohm. I AB'd them vs the Sony 7506's but found the DTs more expressive. The Sony were very mid-heavy, which is probably great for guitar, but it felt a bit too much in your face.

I'm just hoping my Katana will be able to drive the 80 ohms enough to get good volume (not too much) from the DT770.

Voyevoda and Saxonbowman like this.
  7. Saxonbowman

Saxonbowman Tele-Meister

Nothing beats being able to A/B your choices. I’m glad you were able to find something that works for you!

nicknklv likes this.
  8. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I think the best headphones for guitar are random terrible models with colorations that cover up the warts in the source.

9. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Holic

Thanks!
    I just got the DT770s today in 80 ohm, which the Katana drives very very well! It could have even possibly run the 250 ohm version, but I'd rather be able to also listen through my computer or mobile. Very happy with my choice, and they are extremely comfortable. :)

Saxonbowman, SbS and Biffasmum like this.
  10. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

+1 K240

nicknklv likes this.
  11. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I’m thinking of dusting off a pair of Sennheiser RS-130 wireless headphones to see how they’ll work for this.

nicknklv likes this.
  12. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Holic

I just tried my Sennheiser HD280, Samson Sr850, and Grado SR225 in my Katana 50 and was surprised at how good they all sounded. The Grados and Samsons are both open back, but unless you are really cranking it the acoustic sound coming from you guitar is probably still louder than any sound leakage.

nicknklv and Richie Cunningham like this.
  13. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

I originally got these for odubs etc. with the view I could be wearing them for long periods. They are very comfortable being completely over ear. I have the 250 ohm version which is well suited to high gain outputs.

nicknklv likes this.
  14. SbS

SbS Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm using AKG K845BT (32 ohm) and Sennheiser Momentum On Ear 2.0. (18 ohm, they're actually my son's).

Sennheisers can be a little more uncomfortable in the long run, because of some pressure to the head and ears, but not that bad.

Tonally they're totally different though. AKGs are quite neutral, even dry. Sennheisers on the other hand have clear bass boost, so they sound darker and warmer. I'm ending up having different tone settings depending which ones I'm using.

And not havig Katana, but using Yamaha THR-5 or Mooer Audiofile in the pedal board. Using AKG with the cable too, because git too much delay when tried to use bluetooth transmitter (One For All SV1770).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    nicknklv likes this.
  15. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

Glad you like your choice. To me, all headphones sound horrible for all guitar amps I have ever tried, it's painful how bad they sound. Same with amp sims on computer. I really don't know why it's so hard either.

nicknklv likes this.
  16. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Holic

Yes, I listened to the sound leakage from the open DT990s and it wasn't that much. The thing was that between the closed 770 and the 990 I just felt that I liked the first more for guitar,it has slightly more pronounced mids. The latter has higher bass and treble, and while it sounds great for a full mix, my primary goal with this set is to hear myself and get better. I think there's definitely room for open backs in my future, because they really do sound "natural". :)

It's interesting how it works with the Katana and 80ohms. I have one preset Twin Reverb, almost as clean as a whistle, with just a hair of preamp volume on it - that one is good at max volume on the Katana, I would rather have it a tiny bit little louder. So if I had the 250 ohm, I'm guessing I'd barely hear it.
    Then I've got two cranked presets - one Marshall and a Dumble OD - and for those the master volume has to be at 9-10. Otherwise your ears start bleeding.
    So in conclusion, I think the Katana could drive a 250ohm, but then you'd have to bump all your presets up from Tone Central, which will ofc mean you will have to keep the master volume lower when playing through the speaker. Still I'd like a pair of high impedance open backs at some point. :D

17. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I like
    Sony MDR-7506 Headphones

Saxonbowman and nicknklv like this.
  18. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

I really like my Sennheiser HD380 Pros. I use them with my GT-1000, my Scarlett, and the headphone outputs of all of my amps.

19. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Akg makes good bang for buck headphones. Mine are semi open back, and I always prefer that to closed, unless I need zero noise leak.

nicknklv and igor5 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.