1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Headphones and headphone jacks

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mission6_OG, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Mission6_OG

Mission6_OG Tele-Meister

So what says you? What headphones are you guys using? Does high end headphones really make that much difference for the hobbyists? Does a head phone hack make a huge difference in sound quality as well? Let’s see pictures and get the eternal supply of really good advice guys!

2. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

I have Sennheiser 280 Pros for recording, Bose QuietComfort 35 wireless headphones for the gym and traveling, and a Beyerdynamic DT252 single-ear headphone for recording vocals (because I always remove one ear of the headphones when singing anyhow).

3. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

The question is very narrow and vague.

The answer depends on intended use comrade.

And what does Jack have to do with it?

Poor Jack. So misunderstood. :cool:

Mission6_OG likes this.
  4. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

I have a few pairs of nice headphones...and I hate them.

We have 3 pairs of sony $20 headphones, the white ones, and I love them! They are so comfortable, like nothing on your head. I don't know about the recording geeks and all, but for listening to music, podcasts, etc, I haven't touched anything else.

rz350 likes this.
  5. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Depends on context, but yes headphones and speakers generally have a big impact on sound.

I have a cheap pair, a decent pair of $250 audio Technica, and a high end pair of $2000 grados.

They all have their place. And yes, the grados are worth it (when I need them). Luckily those were a gift, I would never have known the dramatic difference otherwise.

6. Twang-ineer

Twang-ineer Tele-Meister

The law of diminishing returns is really obvious in the world of headphones.... Agree with Axegrinder 77, the Grados can be worth it. My main recommendation is always, open back headphones with a dedicated or impedance correct source.

At my desk are the following, both with years on them, and I am very happy.

Samson SR850C Semi-Open Studio Headphones (Black) $40 (for playing bass through)
    Sennheiser HD-599 Around-Ear Headphones (Matte Ivory) $200 (for everything... not bass guitar)

7. Mission6_OG

Mission6_OG Tele-Meister

Well...if Jack was a little handier and more on point. You never hear of jack being on. It’s always “Jack off this...Jack off that!” Never anything good about Jack. Has anyone ever talked to Jack? I mean seriously! No one gives Jack time!

But as far as the question. I’m meaning more specifically for home recording. Nothing fancy or professional. Just to record ideas and have fun jacking off over backing tracks (see what I did there!?!). And as far as Jack goes. I’m meaning the actual jack that goes into the amp or interface. If my headphones do not have the larger side jack to go into my interface, does the adapter make a huge difference in sound?

8. Blue

Blue Tele-Afflicted

How do you hack headphones?

9. Mission6_OG

Mission6_OG Tele-Meister

It’s tricky. But you have to do it very carefully and slowly. Paying very close attention to the Hackafier defibulator. Tricky stuff.

10. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I have some high end B&W, modestly priced Yamaha & generic, and well regarded Sony wireless NC. You don't have to spend so much anymore.

If you are interested in wireless and noise cancelling be aware Bose does't rule that as they did for a long time, and that COSTCO has been selling a past generation of Sony for years now. Sony still giving them software updates.

In wireless mode the Sony mobile app adjusts EQ and even aids where I have some hearing loss. In wired mode you don't ever notice delay but with Netflix and YouTube a few times I noticed sound out of sync with wired headphones too.

Maybe a different animal, but iPhone and Apple device users should be aware of how good the AirPod Pros are. They've been the end of carrying bulkier cans for travel. One of those purchases where I questioned what I spent until using them.

11. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Well if you knew jack, you would know the headphone is an output, it doesnt "go into the amp or interface"... :cool:
    Well, you might "plug it in"
    Semantics.

Anyway- for monitoring while recording, higher end is simply not required. In fact I would prefer to use more modest options for that applocation. They tend to get tossed around a bit. I did just purchase a mic stand hanger though so maybe less of an issue here.

Point is, I think you can get perfectly adequate cans in the $50 range for this purpose.
    I have a pair of the previously mentioned Samson 850's and like them. good for the price point.
    But note that being "semi open back" while making them have a little more "open" feel also would possibly allow some bleed into a mic if used for vocals.

So I would suggest that its not real critical of a choice for monitoring while recording. Closed back for better isolation if needed. Open gives a somewhat more "comfortable" experience in my observation, if mic bleed isnt going to be a consideration.
    I have never had an issue with the 1/4" to 1 /8" adapters. Even the cheapos have removed any concerns I may have had about possible pops and crackles. Keep in mind we are conducting pretty low level signals here.

One brand/model that I would caution against.
    I have had bad experience with the Shure 440's
    First pair broke in just a few months of very careful use. Upon close examination the same area on the other side was cracking and about to fail. Warranty replacement pair lasted about as long and broke in the same area, again without any rough use at all.
    They are overpriced anyway imo. You can get better for half the price.

Mission6_OG likes this.
  12. Mission6_OG

Mission6_OG Tele-Meister

This is the exact info I was looking for. Semantics include. LOL!!! But great info and thanks a ton! I actually just bought a pair from sweetwater that has an adapter to go into interface. I do have another cheap set I bought for $20 from Best Buy that seem decent. Guess I just wanted to take one more step to get closer to the cool kid club.

13. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Recently got wireless AirPods. They sound great and no more messing with jack.

14. QuantumSchema

QuantumSchema TDPRI Member

If you really want to have fun with headphones, check out Head-fi (https://www.head-fi.org/)

Tons of great reviews and articles on budget audiophile cans.

oyobass, SRHmusic and Mission6_OG like this.
  15. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Nooooooooo! You don't want Semantics headphones.

Expensive rubbish.

Mission6_OG likes this.
  16. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've had a pair of these Chinese built ISK HF2010's for several years now - and they are as good as the day I bought them! These are super comfortable semi-open design headphones, and I can wear them for hours without any problems. I use them for home recording, composing and editing in GarageBand, then at final mixes I alternate between the headphones and a pair of small m-audio AV40 monitor speakers - (it's essential when mixing, to listen to your song through speakers as well as through headphones)...

isk HF2010.jpg

oyobass likes this.
  17. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

I am using a set of mid-priced (~$200 I think) Pioneer HDJ-57 for practice and music listening but have a few other sets from AKG and Sony. The Pioneers are marketed towards DJs and sound great for recorded music but are a little too colored for use mixing. That's when I use the others as they are intended more for mixing/monitoring, but I do less of that these days.

The practice sound I get into the Pioneers coming out of a Cab Sim pedal is impressive, I can make it sound like it would once mixed, and that is helpful for me envisioning what I play in context.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    tintag27 likes this.
  18. QuantumSchema

QuantumSchema TDPRI Member

Sorry, I suppose I didn't list what I've been using. LoL

I'm in between these 3 these days:

- Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (closed back over the ear)
    - Status Audio CB-1 (closed back over the ear)
    - TIN HiFi T3 (in ear)

I prefer the CB-1's over the ATH-M50x's personally. The ATH-M50x's are bit too strong on the treble side for my tastes. They are very accurate I think in reproduction but I can't use them for too many consecutive hours without experiencing some fatigue.

The CB-1's are really nicely balanced I think. Accurate. Good sound stage. And the cans are really light and comfortable. The lightness of the cans can be a negative a bit because build quality might seem a bit cheap. But they are sonically great and I won't feel bad if they break.

The TIN HiFi T3's are really really nice if you like in ear headphones. Extremely accurate. Really comfortable. Really well built.

I'm not a fan of open back cans so I can't speak too much to those. I have a pair of Superlux HD668B Semi-Open's but they just don't jive with me. I appreciate that some folks like the open sound stage that open-backs provide but I prefer more presence and "punch"... plus not bothering others while listening.

tintag27 and Mission6_OG like this.
  19. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

For and my age (hearing is diminished), the quality is hard to detect so I use an inexpensive headphone for listening without outside distractions. I bought a number looking for comfort mostly. I settled on Pioneer MS5T; which are fine for me.

I also have Sennheiser HD4 and a really old set of KOSS phones that are really comfortable. My wife bought me some Beats for Xmas a few years back and they came apart in a few months.

I have high quality room monitors to play back. I use cheap ear buds for my phone.

20. Mission6_OG

Mission6_OG Tele-Meister

I did end up ordering a pair of AKG K245. They’ll be in on Monday so we’ll see how they sound when they get here. Ultimately I do not plan on doing anything that would actually require me to need high end equipment. But I honestly am really fortunate to be in the situation I am in and able to splurge every once in a while.

tintag27, oyobass and QuantumSchema like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.