1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Headphone out too loud

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Blues Twanger, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Meister

I pickup up an Orange Micro Dark to play mostly through headphones in my little in-town apartment and occasionally through a cab when needed. I like the tones I get, no complaints there.

What I have found is that the headphone signal is super hot. I am using a set of fairly expensive Pioneer closed back, on ear phones that are marketed more towards the DJ set and I use them more for mixing and music listening.

It's possible that some of the problem is the tight, closed back design catching so much pressure but I also experimented with Apple earbuds and still could not use much of the volume or gain before it was loud enough to be uncomfortable and damaging.

What say you all: does it sound like the output is too hot? should I try open back cans? a different amp solution?

2. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

RTFM:

"
    Volume
    Adjusts the overall output volume. Experiment with the Gain control to achieve the desired balance.

Set to the minimum position before switching the unit ON.

When using the Phones output, keep the Volume control low to avoid overloading headphones or the input of your mixer/recording console."

3. Blues Twanger

The only volume and gain settings that allow the phones to be worn on the ears without pain are barely off zero, and at such a point not many amps make a acceptable tone.

4. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

So, get an in-line volume control??

tubegeek likes this.
  5. Bella

Bella Tele-Meister

I've never tried the headphone out of my MD. I guess I assumed it would have some sort of 'attenuated' type effect when using phones. Sounds like maybe that's not the case.

Do you have a mixer around? Just spitballing here, but if so, you could maybe try running the headphone out of the MD into a channel on the mixer then use the mixer's volume control as a sort of 'master' allowing you to set your amp controls how you see fit, while the mixer would control the output to phones.

EDIT: I'm sure this is obvious, but if you try this, make sure the volume on the mixer is low enough before you mess with the amp controls so that you don't potentially shatter your eardrums when you crank the amp volume and gain.

tubegeek and LutherBurger like this.
  6. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

That sounds annoying!

Is it possible your 'phones are high-efficiency (high output) - that would make the issue worse. It's pretty common for headphones to be louder in 2020 than they were in 2000, with the market being driven by phones and other portables.

It'd be not too difficult to make a little plug adapter cable that would pad down the headphones quite a bit, sort of the same idea as an attenuator used on an amp's speaker. 4 small resistors (1/4 watt ought to do it) of somewhere around 10 ohms or so. Put 10 in series with each channel "hot" output and 10 between each hot and ground on the output jack of the cable, should cut it by half. If that's not enough, use a smaller R on the hot-to-ground or a larger R in series. Drawing to follow in a minute.

Bella likes this.
  7. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

That's weird. Maybe something is wired incorrectly inside?

Anyway, I don't think open-back headphones will help. I second the mixer suggestion, if you have one.

Bella likes this.
  8. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

@Tim S is on the money - this is something you could buy off the shelf and it'd be adjustable.

Here's what the wiring option looks like in case you want to DIY it.

20201024_193820.jpg

Peegoo likes this.
  9. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

10. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

My Marshall Class 5 has the same problem, and I bought a little box (I think made by Rolls) that has a couple of volume pots and different types of jacks for inputs, to use as a variable personal monitor to plug my headphones into. I'll have to check to see exactly which one it is, but it wasn't expensive and does a great job. I guess they are used a lot by drummers to use as headphone monitor feeds, but it works great with the amp. The headphone out on the Class 5 gets louder when you turn the amp up, and at regular cranked amp levels the phones are way too loud without that box.
    Al

LutherBurger likes this.
  11. Blues Twanger

I'm glad this isn't the only amp someone has experienced this with. Like I said I like the tone so I would prefer to keep it.

I've come across the idea of a little nicer box as well as the resister equipped adapter today while researching as well, so those seem viable options.

I do know my Pioneer headphones are very efficient. I wonder if a high impedance set would tame things similar to the resistors in a cable idea.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.