Headphone Cord Is Driving Me Crazy

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
I have a set of Mackie MC-150 headphones for listening to music and for plugging into my amp when I want to practice silently. They're not pro-quality studio headphones by any stretch but they're more than adequate for my needs. I particularly like these because they're the first pair of over-ear closed-back phones I've had that don't make my ears hurt after 30 minutes. I don't want to replace them. BUT . . .

The straight cord has a soft, squiggly, satiny rubber casing that grabs onto everything it touches. If I wear them at my computer, the cord snags on the chair arms, on my arms, catches on the edge of the desk, or gets under the chair wheels. When I'm playing guitar, if the cord hangs down the front of my body it gets pinched between the guitar and my stomach; if I swing it around behind me, it latches onto the chair back, or the legs, or anything else that might be back there. In every case, eventually I'll turn my head and the snagged cord pulls at the headphones, which drives me batty.

The question then, for studio types or folks who use headphones regularly - what are your solutions for keeping the danged cord out of the way?

63telemaster

Tele-Holic
I just googled your phones and it looks like they have a simple stereo cord.....you could just buy a replacement of a different material to see if that helps. Alternatively, tuck the cord down the back of your shirt like I do when I'm wearing IEMs.

Togman

Tele-Afflicted
Just thread the headphone cord through something like this. You can thank me later.;)

1642197116454.png

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
I just googled your phones and it looks like they have a simple stereo cord.....you could just buy a replacement of a different material to see if that helps. Alternatively, tuck the cord down the back of your shirt like I do when I'm wearing IEMs.
Wow, you're right. The cord has plugs at both ends and is removable. If I replace this one with a shorter, slicker stereo cord, all the problems might go away. That'll teach me not to read the brochure.* Thanks.

* I mean, they're headphones. What's to know?

Alamo

Doctor of Teleocity
The removable cord of my One Odio headphone has a partial coily bit in between.
works kinda cool, so far.