1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Headphone Amp for Hotel Room

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by joeybcdt, Sep 20, 2020.

1. joeybcdt

joeybcdt Tele-Meister

I've been reading up on this for about a week. Here's what I'm coming up with.

I have a Pandora somewhere. Noisy.
    Ordered a Mooer PE 100. No EQ controls. No thanks.
    I have a Pocket Pod. Great solution. Nah, too easy and doesn't involve buying anything.
    So now I'm thinking why not just buy a headphone amp so I can us whatever multi effect I want?
    Buy this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVLGLVR/?tag=tdpri-20
    Then I could use my entire pedal board or my Flyrig 5.

Am I missing something?

Joey

2. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

Strymon Iridium, you get both a great amp AND a great headphone amp. The Fender, Marshall, and Vox settings are amazing

3. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

Seconded. Takes pedals and effects really well, records well, really versatile.

4. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

Amplitube iRig. Will work with any iPhone, iPad or android stuff. Small and then you have good free amps and effects. It's what I bought for hotel practicing when I was on the road.

Javier668 and Treehouse like this.
  5. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

If you want small/portable, it’s impossible to beat the Vox amplug.

If size is less of an issue the Boss GT-1 runs on batteries and is infinitely tweakable or you can just run the presets. Runs on good long time on 4 rechargeable AA batteries.

6. drneilmb

drneilmb Tele-Meister

Ditto the Boss GT-1 but with the Zoom G1FOUR instead, half the size and less than half the price. Amp modeling is very nice, variety is a hundred miles above a little headphone thing and you don't need to drag a pedal board to your hotel room. Course if you did, you could just set it up with an amp and cab in the chain and it would sound like it was just a nice amp with your pedals running into it.

They're so cheap and versatile and pleasant sounding that I seriously considered buying a second one to make a stereo rig. If you're going to pay $60-80 for a basic digital pedal, then I'd say everyone should get one of these instead. For the price of a delay and reverb pedal you could have delay, reverb, and everything else under the sun.

7. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

Focustite Scarlett into laptop

RYAN1987M likes this.
  8. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Boss Waza Air. No experience with it, just trying to help you spend money.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Its great.

10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I've taken my THR10 on the road with me a few times, it's great. Now I'm moving towards having all my practice tools on an ipad. Going to get a 1/4" interface, probably the iRig, to take advantage of the amps in garageband and / or amplitube.
    Of course, a tablet is worth taking along on a trip anyhow thanks to Kindle, etc.

El Marin likes this.
  11. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yamaha THR10C is all you’re gonna need.

4pickupguy and schotter611 like this.
  12. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

Bluguitar Amp1? It's an amp. It has a headphone out. It could be used for real amp stuff too aside from hotels.

13. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have carried a danelectro Honeytone and a pair of ear buds around in my suitcase for nearly 20 years. There's a lot of better stuff, now that I don't need it, but walking up and down the beach with the Honeytone on my hip was priceless.

68Telebass likes this.
  14. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

The Boss GT-1 is a good choice ...

Battery or AC power and a gazillion options for amps, effects, tones, cabs ...

And an expression pedal...

mojek and Deepblankspace like this.
  15. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

I've got a Vox AC30 headphone amp. Dirt cheap, plugs into the guitar, has a pass through for other audio sources (you can play while watching videos on the laptop -- what? isn't that how everyone uses it?) Batteries last a while, etc.

It's so simple to use that my Line6 POD 2.0 stays in the gig bag.

Daniel

hemingway likes this.
  16. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

Yamaha THR 5. I have the 10C and the 5 and the latter takes the cake for being considerably more compact with similar (enough) tones. Just a touch bigger than most BT speakers and handling is easy, conventional and amp-like (meaning no laptop, menu, cables...). And cheap! I tried Amplitube/Irig and hated it.

hemingway likes this.
  17. dhodgeh

dhodgeh TDPRI Member

Cheap used modeler. I've got a Zoom G3. Small, battery powered, plenty of amp, pedal, and speaker sims to play with (maybe not always a good thing), drum section and a looper.

Plug in your guitar and headphone, and you're good to go.

D

18. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Bought my Boss GT-1 used cheap. Sounds acceptable when tweaked. I like it. Small and had tons to play with.

19. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Motel trips I bring a Fender Passport Mini, mic, backpack micstand, and a Tele or acoustic. I most always find motels will let me set up and play. It can go total headphone mode. And there’s the busking mode.

El Marin likes this.
  20. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Me too. THR10 is the best. Is so good that they released THR10-II and THR30 and I just don't care at all

Also have a VOX AC30 Amplug... depending on space I would take one or another, but If I can carry a guitar, I can carry the THR too. Now I use the Amplug for sofa silent noddling

I had a Blackstar Fly3 (THE WORST), a VOX DA5 (good), a Fender Minipassport (good and tweakable) but THR10 is the best hands down

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.