1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Headless neckthrough

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by gangreen, Oct 31, 2014.

1. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

Paul, feel free to chime in and add your perspective. You know more about this than I do. I'm using a Floyd rose speedloader fixed bridge. The strings have (brass?) bullets at each end. The string holders on the bridge have a quick release and flip up to allow the quick change. When the string holder is snapped back into position the string has tension on it already. Within the string holder there is an Allen screw that does the rough tuning. It appears to have 3/8-1/2" of travel. The saddles are moved manually with an Allen bolt like on a traditional Floyd to set the intonation. Fine tuning is done with the thumb screws, again like the usual Floyd. The 1/2" of necessary longitudinal travel is handled by the strings being mildly tensioned when snapped into place and then completed with the rough tuning screws. This hardware was cannibalized from a Floyd guitar and great pains were taken to copy the dimensions so the distance between the nut and bridge as well as the neck angle and bridge height were within a few thous of the original. And this system uses adjustable height ball-topped threaded posts instead of the knife edges and posts in a Floyd trem. And the tilt of the bridge is adjusted with a third ball-topped threaded post (of course a different size than the other two) at the ear of the bridge. Finish on the guitar is drying right now. When I start to put the hardware on I'll take more pics to illustrate. But, bottom line is, I think you're correct about building a headless without some was to get the strings roughly tuned. The fine tuners can only do so much. I'd be interested to know what others have done to get around this. I like the Floyd system but currently it's hard to find them. I would consider using Steinberger or jcustom hardware but there must be other ways. Steinberger post tuners rear of the bridge?

2. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the explanation. I don't really use a trem, so I don't pay much attention to Floyds. I had one once, but didn't like it much, so I never cared to learn what was different about a speed loader. I was just curious about design aspects, as I am working on something right now as well. It's not completely novel, but it solves the main issue that bugs me about headless guitars, which is that the style of usual tuners requires and ugly cut out of the guitar shape. I want to be able to easily tune the guitar, but I also want to be able to use any guitar shape, not just ones with the cut out of the butt that I don't like.

I have been looking at as many tuner designs as I can find, and it runs the gamut. Some people use a piece of angle steel and bolts, others use the Steinberger gearless tuners through the body, some use regular tuners on either front or rear of the body, then there is the usual stuff. I'm doing essentially a bridge/tailpiece/tuner combination. I intend to do a multiscale, so I will be making the pieces to the correct slant of the saddle alignment. When I actually start to machine it, perhaps I will start a thread.

3. vuduchild

vuduchild TDPRI Member

I'd be glad to.

Probably not - I imagine our experience with the FR SL strings/bridge is about the same - and you explain things better than I.

The key element of this bridge are the strings, which have bullets at both ends , so they don't have winding tuners and "just fit" from nut to bridge. There are general tuners for getting the tuning 'close' - fulfilling the roll of traditional tuners. Then there are fine tuners for ... fine tuning, like you see on some fixed bridges and FR's and other bridges with tremolos.

I feel the same. The FR bridge on this build is atypical however in that it is fixed. It is not a tremolo.

In my mind there are multiple advantages to FR SL bridge/strings especially for headless designs.

1) Convenience - changing them is literally a snap
    2) [Opinion] There is no string past either the bridge (say to a tailpiece or through the body) or the nut (up the head to the tuners). [There are those that argue that this is not desirable, arguing, for example, that the string over the nut to the tuners some how enhances the tone. Reminds me of the opinions regarding the type of wood contributing to tone.]
    3) You don't get tuning instability because of the winds around the tuners.
    4) [My favorite] You can use that area at the tail as an ergonomic knee rest - there is no need to impose on the design of the body to accommodate the tuners.

Exactly - we are on the same page there. When that occurred to me is when I decided I'd like to try a headless with this system some day.

There is also the Strandberg hardware. I have to say he seems ahead of the pack. But they are expensive.

The thing about the tuners on the body - other than the fact they impose on the shape - is that invariably you need to have a bend in the string to accommodate the necessary tuner spacing. Steinbergs help, but does not solve that, IMO.

I find the multiscale/fanned frets/bridge design interesting also - I look forward to your build and thread.

4. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

image-275783383.jpg

image-1051676545.jpg

Clears coats are done. Let them sit for a while before polishing.

5. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

Sat for a few weeks. Went over the whole thing with 0000 steel wool to knock down any nibs or rough spots from the last tung oil coat. Vacuumed and blew off the dust. Applied a coat of paste was, let that dry and polished. Then 2 coats of shielding paint in the cavities.

image-1483810575.jpg

image-3835207368.jpg

6. Russty

Russty TDPRI Member

:eek:Wow. That is a thing of beauty.

7. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

With all the guts installed. Using a Seymour Duncan triple shot ring to split the P rail into either single coil, parallel and serial humbuckers.

image-2579802027.jpg

image-3477873727.jpg

8. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Look great! That bridge looks high tech! Have a close up? How do u like the SHPR?

9. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

Some close ups of the bridge. Requires Floyd rose double ended strings. Pop up the saddle. Remove the old string. New string in. Takes about that long.

image-3720048953.jpg

image-1368762626.jpg

image-1223802208.jpg

Rough tuning with and Allen screw in the saddle. Fine tuning with the thumb screw like the usual Floyd rose.

Found a laser engraver. He's working on a logo for the headstock. A bit more permanent than my usual sharpie signature.

10. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

And the pup sounds good. Beginning to realize I don't have much of an ear for pup subtleties other than being able to say that they are either very bright, medium or dull. I would call this one medium. A nice single coil sound too. That's as eloquent as I can wax. I like the triple shot ring. Nice option when a slew of knobs won't fit.

11. vuduchild

vuduchild TDPRI Member

I hear you there :p I too have trouble distinguishing the subtleties others appear to discern. If I don't like it I just turn it up :p

I've been playing a lot with a git that has the FR speed loader (a tremolo). Real nice if you ask me - and not just for the convenience.

Fine, fine git - can't wait to hear it :lol:

12. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

As a style it's not really my cup of tea, but the work is beautifully done. Very crisp and precise. The finish looks amazing on the spalt.

13. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

A few small additions. Headstock engraved. Strap buttons attached. Ready to go.

image-3876814055.jpg

image-3639085873.jpg

image-1553434441.jpg

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Darrin

14. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Wow Darrin, that instrument is a work of art. I bet you can't stop staring at it.
    I've been having problems taking my eyes off of the pics. Great job.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  15. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Beautiful!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.