1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Headed to the DFW area tomorrow

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tfarny, Mar 29, 2021.

1. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I'm SOO happy to be taking an actual trip for fun! My wife and I are vaxxed up and heading out to Dallas (Arlington, near TCU) to see a friend and take advantage of our new post-C*%($ freedom.

I am hoping to catch some live music and possibly browse a used gear shop or two. The shops I visited in Austin were absolutely bonkers good a couple of years ago, compared to what we have in the NY area.

Any recs? Bars for old school country, bluegrass, etc., used gear stores, barbecue, and Mexican joints?
    I know I'm headed to a very modern, kinda wealthy suburban area, but it's still Texas, right?

BorderRadio and nojazzhere like this.
  2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Eat and Drink! In Tejas make sure you try Sotol, it's a native plant that is distilled into a feisty mezcal-like spirit. Ten50 has pretty good beef ribs and brisket. There are a ton of good que places. Velvet Taco is pretty tasty, it's all preference but I like this place. Rodeo Goat is a fun place to get a really good burger.
    I LOVE the Nasher Sculpture Garden. It's a manageable sized space and doesn't take all day. Plus the outdoor area is joyous this time of year. I love the juxtaposition of the courtyard viewing area framed by skyscrapers with the "almost" always blue sky overhead.
    https://www.nashersculpturecenter.org/

Have fun. I live in Austin but I'm in Dallas usually 3-4 times a month so I'm basically a tourist there too.

beatnik likes this.
  3. 50ShadesofOrange

50ShadesofOrange Tele-Meister

I’m local and still trying to figure out good places for used gear.

Barbecue and good Mexican could start a discussion as nebulous and heated as rosewood versus maple, so I’ll sit that out.

For country, head to the White Elephant in the Fort Worth Stockyards. It might not always be “classic” country, but the spirit is there, even in the young performers. Most of the Stockyard bars are good for the non-Bro-country stuff.

beatnik and BorderRadio like this.
  4. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Not a lot of great used stores anymore, but go see Scott at Competition Music in FW. He's a good dude and has some stuff.

Mexican Food...you want real or Tex-Mex? I'm a Tex-Mex guy, check out Los Vaqueros or the Original on Camp Bowie (both in FW).

BBQ, come out to the Woodshed in FW saturday. I'm playing a duo gig there 12-4, I'll buy you a beer...

It's kinda trendy BBQ but pretty well thought of.

5. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mex or Tex-Mex, you can hardly go wrong. Now I live in Seattle and all the "Mexican" food seems to come from a single commissary - blah.

I lived in Dallas for 2-1/2 years in the mid 80's. I enjoyed it, but my employment opportunities disappeared in 1986.

Growing up in Memphis, I grew accustomed to chopped pork BBQ, and Texas brisket and sausage BBQ never felt right - it was OK, but not just right.

I have no doubt that you'll enjoy your visit to DFW, people are generally friendly and outgoing.

Make a visit to White Rock lake in east Dallas on a Sunday about 1:00. If you're interested in sailing, then you can probably crew. I did that and crewed with the same skipper for 2 years; Corinthian Sailing Club. The lake is pretty much a large mud puddle. Many boats had a "White Rock racing stripe" - a dark triangle at the top of the mainsail where the boat had turned over and stuck it's mast into the dark mud of the bottom of the lake.

6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Sounds cool man! I appreciate the recs and the invite. We'll be there THIS Saturday - you are playing there noon to 4 pm this Saturday?

As far as all the debates about mexican vs tex-mex, or types of bbq. Dudes - I'm coming from a country / exurban area north of New York. All of our Mexican food is terrible and the BBQ is whatever you can find. I like all kinds, a lot, and the two times I have been to Texas before all of the BBQ and Mexican was awesome. Different Mex than California, but still awesome.

I'll PM you - thanks for the invite!

dannyh likes this.
  7. pedro58

pedro58 Tele-Meister

I'm playing the grocery store on Saturday in Ft. Worth. It's a fancy grocer, Central Market, and there's an outdoor patio. I'd certainly buy you a beer.

There is no Mexican food like I grew accustomed to in the border city of my birth, El Paso. But the Tex-Mex is good. You said TCU, close to Arlington? TCU is in the very heart of Ft Worth and Arlington is 20 miles east of TCU. Nonetheless, there are lots of great BBQ ans Tex-Mex places. Avoid the chains like Dickies BBQ or On the Border for Mex. The dives and holes-in-the-wall are the way to go. Welcome to TX!

USian Pie and nojazzhere like this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Like @pedro58 mentioned just above, Dallas, Arlington and TCU are three totally different places. And, I know nothing about pedro's band, but the Central Market patio use to be a great place to hear good music.....I might try to get by there if I can. As far as Tex-Mex or BBQ, there's a TON of good places, some even GREAT. Ask your friend what he/she likes.....you really can't go wrong. You can even spend all your time on the Northside, around the Stockyards. They have BBQ, Mexican food, AND music. Welcome to Cowtown!......(and then go home ;););) )

pedro58 likes this.
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I live south of Fort Worth and Dallas is too far, so we’re never there. You can say I have a long work commute.

I literally can’t find any Mexican joints in AZ that come close to Mi Cocina. Mi Tierra tacos. Railhead/Flying Fish. Southside, on Magnolia, theres some dive bars still there. I’m not a huge fan of Tex Mex, Joe T. Garcias is crap, sorry. I’ll see you at Flying Saucer. :)

nojazzhere and pedro58 like this.
  10. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The Tone Shop in Addison.

beatnik and REWTX like this.
  11. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

That sounds fun too! What time will you go on? Sounds like I have a Ft Worth pub crawl lined up for me! What a switch from sitting at home for a year. I might have to spend some time shopping for stretchy pants, too.

12. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I’d recommend any of the museums in the DFW area. There are many and they are great.

I know it’s a tourist trap now but Joe T Garcia’s is a cool place for a lunch or dinner. The Stockyards is also a tourist trap but in the 70s & 80s there was fantastic music venue

Deep Ellen was a fun place (and dangerous back in the old days) when I lived in the DFW area

I know a lot has changed but if there is still a Sneaky Pete’s at Twin Coves Marina on Lake Grapevine it was a blast in the ‘70s-‘90s

Full disclosure - I left DFW in 1992 (for the Caribbean) and have only been back for a couple of funerals

Have fun. There’s lots to see and do

USian Pie and pedro58 like this.
  13. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

yes sat 4/3...sounds like you got a lot to choose from lol. All good suggestions, and very Fort Worth-centric...can’t go wrong there...life’s too short to live in Dallas (j/k)

Have a great trip.

14. REWTX

REWTX Tele-Meister

I agree, you won’t be disappointed!

15. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Go to Angelos BBQ for lunch, go to the amman carter museum fo sho, go to the western museum in the stockyards, might as well hit the chili parlor for supper. I always dug Craig's music out in weatherford, if you are cool, and Craig is around, see if he'll show you his upstairs collection... unbelievable.

There is a GREAT breakfast place by TCU ol south pancake house IIRC. LOVE that area... there are tons of good bbq places between there and big d.

beatnik, nojazzhere and BorderRadio like this.
  16. pedro58

pedro58 Tele-Meister

17. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Quick update: landed yesterday afternoon. Turns out we’re staying in the Ft Worth “southside” area near Magnolia St. - it’s a Texas version of Portland Oregon! I mean that in a good way. Still plan on trying to make both the shows you guys invited me to on Saturday, if the heart attack doesn’t come first. Lunch:

Attached Files:

BorderRadio, beatnik and dannyh like this.
  18. 50ShadesofOrange

50ShadesofOrange Tele-Meister

Heim’s?

Excellent choice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.