Headed to Barcelona Spain for work

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by alnicopu, Apr 25, 2018.

1. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

say hey to Nacho Banos for me

alnicopu likes this.
  2. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Signing up for the private, cut-the-line tour of that Cathedral is a very good idea. Awe inspiring.

On food - stay away from tourist traps and stick with local-run establishments.

alnicopu likes this.
  3. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I envy you - I only managed a day and a half on the way home 20 years ago...
    Stunning place. We never got anywhere we planned to, because there was so many other things to gawp at...
    Spain is lovely this time of the year and gets brutally hot after that

alnicopu likes this.
  4. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I haven't been to Barcelona, though I intend to when I have the time / money, but I have been to the district of Andalusia.

The one thing that was very noticeable, when we were there a couple of years ago, was the "siesta". Many businesses seem to shut down for 3 hours or so in the middle of the day, re-open mid-afternoon and then work until early evening. This means that evening meals are taken quite late and can go on for a few hours.

Obviously, this might not be the case in Barcelona (or not for large, corporate, organisations) but, if you're out and about early afternoon and a lot of businesses are closed, that's probably why.

alnicopu likes this.
  5. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Well I've never been to Spain , but I've been to Oklahoma . HA

alnicopu likes this.
  6. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

I've been many times

Its a great place to visit.

Basilica of the Sagrada Familia - new catherdral - not exactly all gaudis work but amazing none the less
    Gothic Quarter (Barri Gotic) - great to wander around - visit the old cathedral - lift to the roof for view and the goose pond :)
    Mercat de la Boqueria - the market mentioned many times
    Park Guell - take the route to the rear and walk down to the entrance at the front - lovely how this walk slowly opens up from nature into pure fantasy
    Fundacio Joan Miro - a fun, arty 30 minutes
    Museo Picasso - if you ever thought Picasso couldn't paint - visit here
    Museum of Modernism one of my favourite modern art museums in the world but give it a miss if its not your thing
    Casa Batlló - the best gaudi site to visit and take the tour - beautiful and full of exquisite building detail

Honest Charley and alnicopu like this.
  7. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

The People I work with from overseas pretty much all do this. Only thing is, they come in at 10am, take a 2 hour lunch then go home at 4. Different set of rules for us Americans. I have to be there by 8 and am not able to leave till 5. Very strange place to work. HP is by no means an American company anymore, by any stretch of the imagination. Dont even get me started about the “Allied” middle easterners I work with. The most entitled, laziest people I have ever met. Not a political comment, just a work ethic observation.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  8. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Restaurant--Tickets.

alnicopu likes this.
  9. Esprit

Esprit TDPRI Member

On a visit a couple of years ago I went to a flamenco concert one evening and otherwise would not have experienced the stunning concert hall called 'Palau de la Musica Catalana'.

Regarding the Sagrada Familia, the weird exterior is always shown in photographs but seemed a bit of an anti-climax after waiting so many years to see it. I almost skipped the interior due to queues, but the interior is staggering and 'other worldly'. You really need to go inside and experience it.

The old fishing area of Barcelonetta is a good place for see food restaurants on the quay side.

Honest Charley and alnicopu like this.
  10. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

Lived in south Spain, Seville, for a few months for my job 20 years ago. The Morrish influence in the architecture is great. Some of the best Italian, English, and other foods in the world I have had. Used to love the road side fresh squeezed organge juice in season!

alnicopu and Paul Jenkin like this.
  11. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Seville was our second stop on the tour of Andalusia. One of the highlights was Tapas at (from what we were told) Spain's oldest Tapas bar - El Rinconcillo.

alnicopu and eallen like this.
  12. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and input. Inwas just sharing them with my wife.

13. Duotone

Duotone TDPRI Member

If you head to Barceloneta I recommend having a glass of Cava in the Xampanyeria, together with a bocadillo amb sobrassada y rocafort.

This place has great atmosphere and is always packed with people.

14. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

All I can say is that I am jealous!

16. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I have family in Spain and Barcelona now has a bad pickpocket reputation, but it is a great place

17. Staggerlee666

Staggerlee666 Tele-Meister

Yes, fantastic place, although after 2-3 days of eating tapas morning, lunch and dinner I was aching for a full, American style meal and was even tempted to stop by a McDonalds. But that's just me!

Have fun!

PS try to plan the Sagrada Familia trip and tix ahead of time. I didn't feel like waiting 2 hours in line so I slipped it and regretted it after.

Honest Charley likes this.
  18. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

That’s a dream trip for me. I would love to see the Sagrada Familia. Have fun!

19. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

Congratulations!

You are going to visit one of the most wonderful cities on the earth.

The best food and drink. The best sights. Dont forget the harbour. And the churches. And the squares. And the Boqeria. And Sagrada Familia! And try as many cava´s as possible! :)

But PLEASE learn a few words in catalan!
    Bon Dia is Hello or Good Day.
    Merci is Thank You.
    That really is an icebreaker! Remember Catalunya are not Spain. In some places they do not understand "spanish" eg castilian.

Enjoy your stay!! And tell us about it!

20. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

+1 Barceloneta area - I usually end up eating there within a block of the beach when I’m in Barcelona

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.