Headed to Barcelona Spain for work

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by alnicopu, Apr 25, 2018.

1. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Gonna be there for 8 days on the company dime. Bringing the wife so does anyone know any good sites or restaurants? Probably have 4 days of meetings and technical training then the rest free time.

tery likes this.
  2. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

How REVOLTing. Get it? (I think I said I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress.) I wish I was going. You sure you have to take your wife? My passport is current.

alnicopu likes this.
  3. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

Order the Paella,
    Takes about a half hour but worth the wait.

awasson and alnicopu like this.
  4. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Barcelona Spain architecture

Google this then goto images!

alnicopu likes this.
  5. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

I will try that and I found out today that a Church that has take 300 years to build recently got finished. I will definetly check out the architecture.

6. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Try to hear the Sant Andreu Jazz Band or some of its products, such as Andrea Motis, Magdila Datzira or Eva Fernandez.

alnicopu likes this.
  7. soundslikethis

soundslikethis TDPRI Member

I was there a few years ago for about three days - the end of a great two week holiday in Spain. There is a great central boulevard called Las Ramblas. You can wander up and down it and go off on all the little side streets where there's no end of restaurants and shops. All for tourists, of course, but unless you're where you live, that's what you are. The biggest open air food market I've ever seen is just off Las Ramblas - amazing just to walk through and you can also eat there at all the food stalls. Architecture by Gaudi is unique and magical - he has left his stamp all over the city. In particular see Guell Park and the Sagrada Familia cathedral, both Gaudi masterpieces. And let's not forget - we're guitarists and this is Spain! Barcelona isn't the heart of Flamenco country but you'll still find it if you look. Also, a very nice beach. It's a great city - you and your wife will love it!

awasson and alnicopu like this.
  8. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

That's a hullava nice job ... just sayin

9. Veggie burger

Veggie burger TDPRI Member

I was going to suggest the market, too. Lots of great choices there.

alnicopu likes this.
  10. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Afflicted

It's the Sagrada Familia, designed by the Catalan architect Antonio Gaudi. it was begun in 1882 and is currently only 70% complete. They are predicting it will be finished by 2032.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagrada_Família

11. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Yes it is. Barcelona is the R&D headquarters for their high end stuff and trips there are, at least, a yearly event. More so, if I go to train on something brand new that hasnt had a formal training course developed. I do remote technical support on HP’s latest and greatest 3D production printer and we’re about to launch a full color version so I’ll probably be going back soon. Other than that its a pretty unorganized company but Im hoping to ride them for 8 more years to retirement. Funny thing is I’m the only non-mechanical engineer. I’m old enough to be most of thems father but am the go to guy for the electronics. Most of these kids couldn’t change a tire and I had to teach them what the “little horseshoe symbol” means on a meter and how to use it to check a fuse. No offense to anyone here but, I’ll take an old technician over a new engineer any day if I was stuck on the International Space Station and had some kind of a problem.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    tery and tintag27 like this.
  12. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Afflicted

When are you going? I work with a bunch of IT guys in my company's Barcelona office. They say it's absolute hell there come August, when most of Europe is hitting the local beaches.

alnicopu likes this.
  13. Slowisfast

Slowisfast Tele-Meister

Go to La Boqueria, the large market off Las Ramblas. You can walk and eat. Beautiful meats and produce and shop. Great little places to grab some tapas or a beer.

La Sagrada Familia is amazing...Gaudi's masterpiece. Also check out Park Guell.

It was also pretty cool walking around the site of the Barcelona Olympics. Lots of stuff still around and it certainly was beautiful.

Barri Gotic is amazing. Beautiful architecture. Also, check the Picasso museum. Lots of stuff from his youth and early career...which I liked very much contrasted with is more abstract expressionism and cubist periods.

Wonderful city.

Honest Charley, awasson and alnicopu like this.
  14. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Leaving next Friday. Supposed to be the peak season for pleasant weather.

15. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

That must be it. My wife was told about that and not to miss it. Thanks!

16. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

Unlike Nashville I have nothing to add except keep your eyes peeled for the spanish babes. :p

17. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

La Pubilla, Plaça de la Llibertat, 23, 08012 Barcelona, Spain.
    My favorite restaurant in Barcelona (I go to the city quite often; a band I play in is based there and we record there).
    Barcelona is a city of restaurants. Most aren't fabulous (it isn't like Istanbul, or any city in Italy... you have to choose carefully in Barcelona...)
    La Pubilla will never let you down.

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've got to get over there to see Gaudi's work in person....something about that guy's work is so amazing.

They say, one is supposed to say "Barthelona" as opposed to "Barcelona". I don't know what they give you, if you get that right, though.

Honest Charley likes this.
  19. Sooper8

Sooper8 Tele-Holic

+1 for Gaudi's house. Amazing!

20. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Well. I won't tell you no tourist thing...

Check for ther "Magic" some good gigs, some not so good depending in your personal taste. "Gran Bodega Saltó" not bad for some flamenco (catalan rumba) not focused on tourists, The jamboree, Razzmataz, and the Hummagumma (I don't think this is still open...)

Search those names and may the force be with you

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.