Head & cab or combo

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Nashville-tele-19, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Nashville-tele-19

Nashville-tele-19 TDPRI Member

Hi everyone,
    I’m sorry if this question seems daft to some people but I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to amps.

I’m looking for a small amp for home use only. I’ve been looking at the fender bassbreaker 007, blackstar ht5r and boss nextone. The fender and blackstar both come in combo or head and cab versions. My question is, is there any difference in sound between the matching head and cab versions of these amps or do people only go for a head and cab because it’s extendable? Also do people tend to buy a head from one manufacturer and then a cab from another for some particular reason (speaker quality etc) and if so what sort of percentage of the sound is the speaker responsible for (vs the amp)? Any thoughts from guys that own any of these amps would also be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys and if It makes any difference To answers I play mostly clean and light/medium overdriven stuff, no heavy distortion, I use an OD and delay pedal and a ditto.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Well with a cabinet you get tons of more options between speakers, speaker sizes etc.
    10,12,2x10 etc..easier change out...more ambience in some cabinets than open
    back combo
    imho

radiocaster likes this.
  3. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

For home use go with a combo.

Two cabinets inevitably cost more than one.

The manufacturer has matched a speaker to an amp in a combo.

You might want a head if you play out. That way you could use one speaker for "bedroom" tone and another speaker or speakers, live.

4. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

This is very good advice.

Rowdyman likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Combo in a small amp. Much less trouble and complication.

6. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

here's my way of looking at it: since i'm a restless and unsatisfied tone-seeker, i'm always trying another amp and switching back and forth. So not only cost but space savings are served by having a number of lunchbox heads that i can plug into the same speaker cabinet. Not that it avoids having a closet full of combos gathering dust.

If on the other hand you can trust yourself to stick by one amp, then a combo certainly makes sense once you find the right one.

7. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

I’ve always favored combos but that’s because I mainly use small amps: portability and ease of use.

Now, with bigger amps, things can go crazy heavy in combos: in this case, carrying a head and a cab separately can save your back.

One more thing to consider: a combo can be less reliable because the amp vibrates with the cab. I made the mistake of buying an amp using an EF86 in the combo format: I should have bought the head version, because EF86s were turning bad after only a few weeks in this amp (even with rubber pads).
    But on the other hand, many combo amp designs have proven to be very reliable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.