1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

He says it's a "1968 - USA Telecaster" but I'm suspecting "1974 - Made In Japan Telecaster" instead.

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by rotsap, Mar 5, 2021.

1. rotsap

rotsap TDPRI Member

So I'm looking over a Tele for a real good friend and trying to properly date it for him. He's under the impression it's a 1968 and worth $10k. But I'm not sure that jives with what I found so far. Now since I'll hate to be the guy that needs to let him know it's actually a 73-74, like serial lookup seems to indicate, or that it bears a striking resemblance to the ones made in Japan, I need some help.
    I looked on neck heel, no help. J. Torres is stamped, as well as the numbers 1301 and 2313. I opened it up and the pots seem to indicate "not used by Fender" and Gibson, Epiphone, etc. The potentiometer stamps are on the sides 015479 1 MEG AUD 304 7305. Could be period for 68, but if the serial lookup is correct could be 73 or early 74.
    Anyways I took pics, I think there is enough here to properly date the guitar.

I have more pics, Just need to know if this is a 68 or 73. early-74.

And I have concerns too that this might even be made in Japan. It definitely looks like the ones I see for sale on Ebay. I would expect to see the "Fender" and "patent pend" stamp on an American bridge no?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My '68 had a stamped bridge with threaded steel saddles.

VillainSean likes this.
  3. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

That’s not an original bridge. Original should have stamped / ashtray style bridge. The pot is a Stackpole pot from the 5th week of 1973. My ‘75 had Stackpole pots so these were standard Fender pots at the time. Serial number on neck plate seems to indicate a ‘73. Not sure but neck code seems to indicate a ‘71? Dual butterfly string trees started in ‘71. No notch on the bass side of the neck pocket indicates a ‘70s body. I’m pretty sure it’s a ‘70s guitar

What makes you think it’s Japanese?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  4. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but I do love these kinds of posts! I could be wrong but, if I understand it correctly, J. Torres was a neck inspector in the 70's and Fender didn't start using plate gaskets until the 70's as well. Again, I could be wrong and will look forward to being corrected if I am. That's how I learn these things :)

Boreas likes this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Can't really tell from the pics, seems whatever it is some parts were replaced.
    "J. Torres" or "mystery mark Torres" has been seen on USA Fenders but I doubt on MIJ, and there were no MIJ Fenders madein 1974, plus they would not have USA pots AFAIK.
    The body truss access channel is not found after '69/ '70 until much later RI's.
    Seems odd to put 1 meg pots in a fake or RI and the body is not from the 1 meg era AFAIK.

Boreas likes this.
  6. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Not an expert either, but has it been repainted?

7. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I owned an original 68 for over 50 years. I haven't got it now - but noticeable differences to mine are

Mine had a 3 barrel threaded bridge with ashtray.
    Mine did not have a gasket on the neck plate.
    Mine had a narrow diagonal routing under the guard between the two pickups.
    Mine didn't have the skunk stripe - but mine had a rosewood board, so that's probably irrelevant.

That's all I've got.

8. CustFan

CustFan TDPRI Member

The body looks 1970's with the typical route on the upper part of the neck pocket. Replacement 6 saddle non-ashtray bridge. Not MIJ and also not 1968.....

aadvark and Boreas like this.
  9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I thought that too when I saw the neck pocket.

10. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Refin.

Replaced bridge.

My ‘70 and ‘71 were both date stamped on the neck heel. This one is later.

I think you’re on with the ‘73-‘74 estimate. But with the refin and changed bridge your buddy is looking at about half the value of one of those in excellent condition. The only way to make that thing worth $10k would be to tape about $8k in cash to it. Break it to him gently.

Doesn’t mean it’s not a great guitar. But it’s not worth unmolested ‘68 money.

bby85, Skamania, effzee and 6 others like this.
  11. eMGee

eMGee Friend of Leo's

The body looks to not be from 1968 (more like 1973 and newer). 68s have the "notch" where the bass bout curves into the neck attachment area. Body looks to have been repainted, too.

12. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Did Leo ever put 1 MEG pots in a typical single coil guitar?

13. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This color surely didn't exist in 68 or 74...

14. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

'68? Nuh-uh.

15. Cam

Cam Friend of Leo's

Definitely a 74+ body as everyone who posted about the “notch” have said.

16. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Leo, no. CBS, yes.

1967-68 they started getting 1meg pots. George Harrison's Rosewood Tele has 1meg pots

Jakedog and Boreas like this.
  17. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

What's funny is that these two threads are right next to each other and the guitars are nearly identical, except for the color (blue is likely refinished) and the bridge. Even the name Torres on the neck!

Edited because I see that was a zombie thread the OP resurrected. I hate when I do that.

But, with that kind of identification, he didn't really need us for confirmation that it was an early 70's!

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/tele-body-and-neck-identification.886255/

18. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks!

19. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

this is quite interesting in that the neck code in the OPs photo here is the same as the neck code in the original post of the thread that you referenced.

Is this a strange coincidence having 2 guitars with necks built on the exact same day being questioned about their authenticity? Except for the rough looking headstock in the other post, I would have said they were the same guitar at some point.

jfgesquire likes this.
  20. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Red.
    20210305_220815.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.