HB-sized neck pickup suggestions for Nashville Tele

newslang

TDPRI Member

So this is my 20-year old bastardized Nashville Tele - basically nothing on it is original, and I love it. I've had a Lawrence L490 in the neck position for most of that time, as I was chasing Jazzmaster/P90 neck tones at the time and it did the job relatively well. However since then I've gotten a Jazzmaster and a P90 axe (as well as PAFs and Filtertrons, so those are out) and am thinking about changing it up in there. Ideally, I'd get something still noise-cancelling and in the clear, deep, chimey department - thinking Wide-Range, Mini-humbucker or Firebird. Of course, all of those would require a new pickguard which isn't out of the question but I'd prefer not.

A couple Creamery options - the Baby 71 (WRH in HB size) and Custom 13 (wound to Bernard Sumner of New Order specs) - have my interest. Musical tastes are to shoegaze/post-punk, but more interest in detail and clarity than loading it down with distortion.

Other pickups are a Duncan Alnico II Strat in the middle position and a Fender Custom Shop Broadcaster in the bridge. So vintage outputs.

Anything in the funky-pickup-in-humbucker-size I should be considering?

regularslinky

Tele-Afflicted
TV Jones Classic or other Filtertron style. I think they have adapters to fit HB sized spaces. Chimey and bright, but still humbucking.

Or maybe a gold foil in HB size. I have gold foils in an old Harmony guitar and they are an entirely different animal from everything else.

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
If it's a swimming pool route I'd do the wide range humbuckers. You wouldn't need to get a new pickguard, just open it up a little bit

Wooly Fox

Tele-Meister
See my avatar guitar for the Creamery Charlie Christian in the neck. That neck pickup is an excellent choice as an unusual alternative for rhythm work. Also sounds awesome with fuzz and tone on 0.

Grateful Ape

Tele-Afflicted

TimTam

Tele-Holic
If it's a swimming pool route I'd do the wide range humbuckers. You wouldn't need to get a new pickguard, just open it up a little bit

Yes ... it's a swimming pool rout but No ... it's not wide enough for WRHBs. Unless the Nashville's rout has varied in size - but the one I have won't fit them.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
A TV-Jones Classic is available in a humbucker mount if the covers are in stock. That pickup will complement the others in your Nashville.

TX_Slinger

Tele-Holic
A TV-Jones Classic is available in a humbucker mount if the covers are in stock. That pickup will complement the others in your Nashville.
One alternative to this is the humbucker sized Seymour Duncan Psyclone. Looks just like a TV Jones Classic and still does that thing...

1996Standard

Tele-Meister
I've got a DiMarzio Humbucker From Hell in the neck of my Indio tele and it's great. It's got some of the crispest highs you'll find in a humbucker.

cheepnis

TDPRI Member
DiMarzio Super 2 is another great 'clean and bright' HB choice for the neck.

Jerry Garcia preferred them for a while.

Wildeman

Tele-Holic
I just got a Duncan Seth Lover and think it would be killer in a Tele. It's in my Sheraton now.

Swirling Snow

Tele-Meister
Hmm..... I think I'll second the Seth Lover. You've got single coils covered pretty well. A Seth was G&L's choice in the Bluesboy, and it was(is) a smash hit. Everyone thought it a great choice. And it's the right output.