Having trouble finding a good acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Torz Johnson, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

also martins take about 5 years of beating on them to loosen the fibers up in the tops.. thats why older martins they got big balls and you cant find a new one that sounds like that.

your completely missing the 000 00 and OM bodies..

volume and tone in an acoustic is a fine line that lies in the players hands

you loose tone when things get loud

I would save ya money on that guild put into buying gold

2. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Quoting Sweetwater’s How To choose The Best Acoustic Guitar For You: “Choosing the best acoustic guitar for you is an exciting process!” I’d maximize the exciting process. I’m a country guitar player so I’d definitely go for a few days in Nashville to look for an acoustic guitar. Tour some guitar factories?

To hear thousands of acoustic guitars being played go to the Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield Kansas.

3. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

Looks like I'll be in Nashville for a few days on business in May. I may postpone any guitar purchase decisions until then, just so I can peruse the good shops there.

4. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

That’s exciting. Bet you can find someone to pick it for you, so you can listen out away from it.

5. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I own four (4) acoustics. First, the old Silvertone I got when I was eight years old. I play it once in a while. It's a tough old guitar. Stays in tune but the intonation has always been bad. It was good to learn on way back then.
    Next is my old Yamaha FG470s that I got back in the late 80's. It's a very nice guitar. Always plays great and is always extremely easy to play. It's one of the finest guitars I have ever played. I've written more songs on that guitar over the years than any other. It will always be my keeper.
    Next is my 1999 Martin DM. It's a nice guitar and sounds like a typical good Martin. I always wanted a Martin, and it was the cheapest used made in USA Martin I could find and buy. It's a nice guitar, but I like my Yamaha better.
    Lastly, is my FAITH Neptune Trembesi I got during a trade for an amp. This guitar is amazing in sound (sounds huge and extremely articulately clean). It's as easy to play as my Yamaha. This guitar has solid wood Trembesi back and sides. And a solid spruce top. it's a beautiful guitar thru and thru. Very well made and beautiful to look at as well as play. This one is definitely a keeper that I will be proud to hand off to one of my kids someday. Before this, I had never heard of Faith guitars. Glad I did the trade!
    I've noticed that no matter which guitar I decide to play, my pick selection is just as important to me, to achieve whatever sound I'm after for any particular sound. I'm not a finger picker.....I always us a pick but do some hybrid stuff occasionally. I choose my guitar picks with song and purpose in mind when playing my acoustic guitars.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  6. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It has been my experience that manufacturers do not put the best strings on the guitars heading for sale. It is a cost per unit thing. Profits, you know. I automatically restring anything I buy. Dead strings kill the sound of even a top of the line instrument.
    Perfect example: I was in a local shop one time and spotted a used Alvarez Yairi hanging on the wall. I took it down and started playing it and I sounded like a cardboard box strung with old rubber bands. Dead. I pointed it out to the man behind the desk, he strummed it and agreed. New strings applied and she sounded like a $$$ guitar again. It sold soon after.

7. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I apologize, I am coming in late and have not read the entire thread. But....

My first guitar was an old Fender acoustic. Many folks talk crap about them, but mine is an excellent guitar and has been since day 1. It was a higher end model that I got at a great price (My father was an accountant at a music store). But, a few years ago, I decided I wanted a 'really good, high end' acoustic. I had a preconceived notion of what I wanted.... and ended up with something completely different.

But, it was a good solid two year journey for me. I played probably a hundred different guitars before stumbling into a deal on a used guitar I truly love. An, at the time, four or five year old Gibson Custom Shop Keb Mo (12 fret, parlor size, etc.... Not at all what I was looking for!). I found many new guitars, especially Martins did not tickle my fancy much. They all sounded tight and sterile. I am not a fan of Taylors at all... Too 'modern' sounding. The new Gibsons were kinda all over the place, but they were closer. I was looking really hard at a Martin CEO-7 (every example I played was a lovely guitar). But, the little Gibson won out. Heck, I even compared it to vintage models it was supposedly based on and preferred it!

Recently, I stumbled upon another acoustic guitar. I wasn't looking for it this time... But, it is a little interesting and different than anything I've ever owned, a nylon stringed flamenco. My wife was with me and asked what made the difference between a cheap acoustic and this moderately priced guitar. One strum and she could hear the difference. But, I compared the one I purchased with two others of the exact same model and this one stood out. The other two were subtly less expressive and less full range.

So, the secret is try a lot of them!

I worked in a store for a little while that specialized in acoustic instruments, sold new Martins and vintage Gibsons and Martins and about anything else worth some coin. But, they also sold Fender and Eastman stuff as well (on a much smaller volume). I tried about everything. There were a few vintage guitars I really loved and lusted after... But, the best one that I got the chance to try, that came through the store was a Collings... Beautiful and as you described, the notes just popped off the fretboard. I might have preferred it over my Gibson, but it was close.... And I already owned the Gibson and could no way afford or justify the price of the Collings. Luckily a rich dentist or lawyer bought it! LOL . Oh, a guy brought in an Eric Clapton Signature Martin that was also one of the top 3 or 4 acoustics I've ever played... But, he just brought it in for a set up and string change. I could barely put it down oce I was done with the work on it!

If I was looking for affordable instruments, I'd be looking at Eastman, Recording King (of which I have a fun little kick around box that sounds and plays great) or Yamaha. If I was looking at mid-priced, I might still visit the same brands. Chances are, though, I'd start looking at the bigger brands in a used guitar. If I had the money to spend on a real higher end guitar, I'd be looking towards Huss and Dalton (I've never played a poor example, most have been excellent!) or Collings first.... then Gibson or Martin Custom Shops.

I love my Gibson Custom Shop. It truly stopped me from desiring any other regular acoustics. It is part of me and I will never part with it. I still have my old Fender. But, it has sat unplayed for a couple years now. Can't part with it either... Plus, I have a daughter who lain claim.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.