Having trouble buying a guitar!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texasjtl3, Jun 28, 2014.

1. mildwild

mildwild Tele-Afflicted

I spend more time in a year at Elderly than all local stores in Toronto combined . It is 6 hours away. Looking forward to going there in a couple of days while on vacation .

The number of teles they have on the floor to try is amazing and you don't have to crane your neck looking and ask permission .

Sweeterwater sounds great from all the posts I have read.

Now I have to finish packing.

2. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

Indeed, if I was going to drop Suhr money on a guitar I would not discount the idea of flying to one one the major dealers (Matt's, Humbucker..) and spending the day with an ample selection, some times you need to go to the mountain.

3. babalooga

babalooga Tele-Holic

Like the other guys said, Sweetwater. Never had a bad deal with them, they go out of their way to try to please.

4. Jefe

Jefe Tele-Afflicted

Oh, did you own a music shop?

5. JK1964

JK1964 Tele-Meister

Sweetwater rocks! I've purchased several guitars (as well as other items) and had no issues whatsoever. Won't be long before the next family addition. Their sales and customer service are second to none. If you "did" have an issues with an instrument purchase just send itnback and they'll ship you another. After discovering SW years ago I'll never go back to MF or GC again. Also, I'd like to give a thumbs-up to Huber & Breese in Fraser MI as mentioned previously. Nice little shop with quality instruments. Great guys to work with.

6. Texasjtl3

Texasjtl3 Tele-Meister

How prophetic...I was just contacted by a dealer that's a 5 hour drive away.
    They have both but I can't leave until next weekend.
    Looks like it's roadtrip time if they still have them then.
    Heres to having my own NGD in the next week.
    I'll let you know how it turns out.

7. 68 Shovelhead

68 Shovelhead Tele-Afflicted

10-4

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

So, you were just jivin for the fun of it with yo pistol all cocked and no bullets.;)

9. Warm Gums

Small one (12x16!) in a market building for a few years, mostly used/budget vintage stuff, just gave it up in Jan, building was sold to developers, no way I could make a profit based on the rent quotes I was getting when I looked into relocating.
    Lots of fun, but a lot of work, don't know how those bigger 2-3 person shops get by..

10. Jefe

Jefe Tele-Afflicted

Interesting! Well, I certainly trust what you're saying about upitty customers who wave their money around and expect special treatment... In can understand why you'd be less likely to help such a person.

On the other hand, speaking from a customer's point of view - nowadays with the internet, it seems to me that the only good thing that brick & mortar stores can offer over the internet stores is the ability to let their customers try the instrument before they buy it. Now, if the brick & mortars can't/won't bring in a certain model for me to try, then what have they got? Nothing! Nothing to offer me, anyways. I can just sit at home in my underpants, order up whatever model in whatever color I want from the interwebs, and have it delivered to my door. If I don't like it, I can just send it back. I might have to put on some pants & a shirt before driving over to the UPS store, though.

So, it just seems to me that if a salesperson wants to sell me a guitar, they should do something to get one in to the store for me, and give me a call when they get it. Or not... I guess they can just sell it to someone else, right?

11. jr44

jr44 NEW MEMBER!

Washington Music is the place!! You call Bill Brooks or
    Paul Schein( pronounced shine) you'll get a great deal and the right guitar.

12. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I love Sweetwater as a vendor but why do posters keep suggesting them when they don't sell Suhr? If the OP is looking for a Suhr that's not the place to go for one.

13. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Yep

14. Jefe

Jefe Tele-Afflicted

I didn't know that Sweetwater doesn't sell Suhr, but I think the main point is that if the OP is having trouble finding a brick & mortar store that will provide him with a decent level of customer service, then the suggestion is to find an online dealer who will be more helpful. If not Sweetwater, then some other.

15. JK1964

JK1964 Tele-Meister

I also was unaware Sweetwater did't carry Suhr. But on that note, if they don't carry it, I don't need it. :lol:

16. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

If you liked the hot rod, then you can always buy that snd throw in a pair of pups that are more suited to you.

Feel is the most important :)

17. Warm Gums

It goes back to the relationship, when I got something cool in I knew just who to call, many things were never on the floor, I had a g- base account for exactly ONE month. Way too many e-mails telling me what I was going to do to make the sale. Perhaps a big shop needs to suffer that, and I know that approach works with the chains, but I know more than a few small shops that will ask difficult customers to leave & not come back. They have their regulars and do a good business, i know Elderly sells every thing they can get thru the door,the drawback to small places is there usually isn't enough staff to follow up on casual requests, and things do slip thru the cracks.

18. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

19. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

My suggestion:
    Call Martin Guitars direct during the week. It would not surprise me if you had a satisfactory conclusion to your quest within a few short days.

610-759-2837, or
    800-633-2060

20. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

I have a feeling Elderly was one of the first two dealers mentioned in the OP's post.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.