Having Fun At A Restaurant With Your Server

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
I have many “pet” restaurants in central Texas that I love, and frequent.
All have two things in common, great food and great service.
Because I am a creature of habit, I find my favorite menu items, and servers.
The servers often remember my preferences.
It’s kinda nice.
I don’t expect it.
My point is, at those places, with those servers, I tip, and compliment lavishly (20-25%).
There are so many truly great places to eat in central Texas.
Oh, yeah, and great people, too!
Man I don’t get it as often as I’d like. But I really love Moonshine’s chicken and waffles 🤣

Tonetele

Doctor of Teleocity
Hate to sound like I'm Yankee bashing again but any swearing and /or abuse to staff ,in any eatery in Australia and you'd be asked to settle your bill and leave- IMMEDIATELY. I've even played at a gig where prominent members of the Education Dpt. and teachers were refused further drinks, ploice called in and the manageress ( a former teacher herself) confided in me that she would never have them back ever again. They were p....d drunk and swearing at the police.

Matt Sarad

Tele-Afflicted
My ultra conservative big brother started off making a political statement when we walked in.
The greeter was horrified. Our server was sharp and funny. Big brother ordered items with substitutions galore. He kept up his political banter. By the end of dinner, our server was quiet and clearly unhappy.
My wife and I were embarrassed and glad big brother went home to another state 2,000 miles away.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
In the olden days when we frequented restaurants, we were seated on a patio having a beer and snacks. A large group came in and started ordering pitchers of beer. They were singing and carrying on. Loud, but not obnoxious. We were enjoying watching them. When it was time for us to order another round the waitress brought us a pitcher of the beer we had been drinking. The loud group had arranged to buy us a pitcher to make up for their antics. We thanked them and told them that it wasn't necessary as we were not bothered by their behavior. They were having a good time and they wanted us to have a good time. It made a fun day even better.

Scoutbag

TDPRI Member
WRT Mexican food, I miss some of the great food joints in areas with sizable Mexican populations.
My area in Maine has little or nothing for great Mexican food, even as my town is packed with great and fine food joints.
Serving the tourist industry, different demands and only relatively rich folks can afford to actually live here.

Lowell had stupendous SE Asian food joints!
Some great Greek food too.
I really miss great ethnic food, one of the best features of the USA.
Lowell-yeah great food, in addition to the SE Asian, great Dominican and puerto rican food, greek food mmmm.....how about Vic's waffle house in Tewksbury?.....still the SE Asian and the number and breadth...mmmm

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My mother and father ran a small hotel in Grants New Mexico in the early 1950's. It doubled as a Greyhound bus stop and had a small cafe lunch counter. My mother ran the cafe and was one of two waitresses. I remember her telling stories of the varied types of customers from exceptionally nice and generous to 100% rude and leaving no tip. Those stories formed the way I have acted in restaurants my whole life. I rarely complain and if I do it is polite and understanding that it is usually not the server's fault. I always have tipped a minimum 20%; as for most wait staff, that is the primary source of their income. I enjoy striking up conversations with the waiters if they aren't terribly busy. Most seem to appreciate it. My wife and I went to Lopez Mexican Restaurant here in Houston quite regularly and we were usually served by the same guy and got to know him fairly well. I still go there with friends and it is one of my favorite places serving traditional Mexican and Tex-Mex dishes.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Lowell-yeah great food, in addition to the SE Asian, great Dominican and puerto rican food, greek food mmmm.....how about Vic's waffle house in Tewksbury?.....still the SE Asian and the number and breadth...mmmm
Been a while and I foget if I ate at Vics, but Greek joints all the time because I had a Greek GF with a huuuuuuuuge family.
Also some great Greek music along with real deal belly dancers, with a few top Greek musicians playing with zero fanfare; for famly.

And I do love the other ethnic foods.
Funny all those other than Southeast Asian food I kind of consider American.

Last edited:

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I refuse to eat with people who are rude to the waitstaff.
I have gotten up, given the staff a tip and left the restaurant, along with an apology with an explanation that the people with me are rude and will never be eating with them again.
I make sure the rude people hear what I’m saying.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Another thread made me think of this.

We frequent a Mexican place in town; fast service, very reasonable, and good food that is consistent. Some of the servers only speak broken English, which just adds to the enjoyment.

One afternoon we were there, and sat on the patio. There was a table next to us with two women who had been drinking for some time. They were a bit loud, letting expletives fly then apologizing for it, and just having fun. Not being rude, not obnoxious, just loud and having fun.

They told their waiter that they called one of their husbands for a ride home, and he would be there in an hour, so more [expletive] drinks! We are leaving you a great [expletive] tip! He then came to our table and apologized for the loud ladies. We told him no biggie, they just seem to be having fun, so don't sweat it.

Time went on, we ate, the ladies ordered more food and drinks, they were loud, but hey - we were outside, so no biggie.

The waiter came over to our table as we were finishing up eating, and asked it we needed anything. My wife looked at him, looked at the two ladies at the next table, and tells the waiter "I need a refill on my [F-bomb-ing] Diet Coke!" The waiter was stunned for a second, then broke up laughing. He actually sat down in an empty chair at the table and thanked her for the humor. He said the two ladies had been there a few hours, but were not being abusive, and he appreciated that we were cool with it and could find the humor in the situation.

Yes, he got a good tip from us that day. I think that interaction made his day.
The way it should be. Nice story!

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
After many years of careful study and investigation in Mexican food establishments we have developed the Margarita Theorem-for every additional 6 oz. of Margaritas consumed the decibel level of the restaurant increases by 50% and polite language declines by 50%. And hey, let's have another plate of those macho nachos!

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
This thread (or at least its title) relates to having fun with wait staff at a restaurant. Yet most of the posts are just about food or being rude to the wait staff.

So let me bring this back on course a little.

My favorite fun with waiters is when I have a great meal and clean my plate so there are no specks of food remaining.

When the waiter comes by to ask how everything was, I say the meal was inedible and unacceptable, and that I am sending it back to the kitchen.

Sometimes they don’t get it immediately and look confused and flustered for a few secs till they get it.

Well, sometimes it is pretty fun to do.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
This thread (or at least its title) relates to having fun with wait staff at a restaurant. Yet most of the posts are just about food or being rude to the wait staff.

So let me bring this back on course a little.

My favorite fun with waiters is when I have a great meal and clean my plate so there are no specks of food remaining.

When the waiter comes by to ask how everything was, I say the meal was inedible and unacceptable, and that I am sending it back to the kitchen.

Sometimes they don’t get it immediately and look confused and flustered for a few secs till they get it.

Well, sometimes it is pretty fun to do.

"Sir, are you done with that plate?"

No! I am going to lick it clean! :lol:

I may have used that line a few times.

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
We had a family dinner last night so everyone could meet my son's girlfriend. We were outdoors too at a favorite Italian place. We had a very good waiter; patient, sense of humor, not intrusive and was even able to tempt us into splitting a few deserts!

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
My daughter works at a famous Seattle-bred coffee establishment, and I am appalled at the behavior of some of the customers—especially soccer moms!

People have cussed at her, thrown (literally) their drinks at the baristas or at the wall, screamed at her, and threatened bodily harm…over a cup of coffee!

Ridiculous

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
My ex-wife was a waitress and my most recent ex-girlfriend was, too. They've embarrassed me a few times, when we went out to eat, by their watching the food service more than talking to me. Both of them, on completely different instances, of course...different decades, actually...actually tipped the server of a nearby table when she felt he wasn't treated, and probably not tipped, properly.

If you date a waitress don't take them out to dinner.