Having Fun At A Restaurant With Your Server

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
Another thread made me think of this.

We frequent a Mexican place in town; fast service, very reasonable, and good food that is consistent. Some of the servers only speak broken English, which just adds to the enjoyment.

One afternoon we were there, and sat on the patio. There was a table next to us with two women who had been drinking for some time. They were a bit loud, letting expletives fly then apologizing for it, and just having fun. Not being rude, not obnoxious, just loud and having fun.

They told their waiter that they called one of their husbands for a ride home, and he would be there in an hour, so more [expletive] drinks! We are leaving you a great [expletive] tip! He then came to our table and apologized for the loud ladies. We told him no biggie, they just seem to be having fun, so don't sweat it.

Time went on, we ate, the ladies ordered more food and drinks, they were loud, but hey - we were outside, so no biggie.

The waiter came over to our table as we were finishing up eating, and asked it we needed anything. My wife looked at him, looked at the two ladies at the next table, and tells the waiter "I need a refill on my [F-bomb-ing] Diet Coke!" The waiter was stunned for a second, then broke up laughing. He actually sat down in an empty chair at the table and thanked her for the humor. He said the two ladies had been there a few hours, but were not being abusive, and he appreciated that we were cool with it and could find the humor in the situation.

Yes, he got a good tip from us that day. I think that interaction made his day.
She left an F'ing good Tip I presume?

Deeve

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Service industry workers really need some love and understanding these days, nice job!
In the few times I've ventured outside of my tightly locked bio-bubble, and visited a restaurant, I have tipped a bit more than is normal for me, for just that reason.
Thanks for the reminder.
Peace - Deeve

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Always good to be nice to servers. It always amazes me when apparently intelligent people are jerks to the people who handle their food.
Summer before last I was waiting for local takeout and a woman was screaming nonstop at the guy trying to make her food, because it was taking too long in the mobbed food joint with help wanted signs overbthe door and at every register.
Double idiocy in the fact that to attend to her screaming he had to step over to the register where he couldnt keep fixing the food.
This was not a woman thing, customers everywhere had been and still are irate with food service workers. Men and women alike.
A guy recently screamed at a nice teen counter kid because they were out of the donut flavor he wanted.
The owner put up a sign saying something like if you yell at my staff I will throw you out.

All this makes it fairly clear to me that humanity had its shot and has failed to create actual sustainable civilization.
The growing cognitive dissonance may be a core cause, where folks shift from what they CAN believe to what they WANT TO believe, then they fight for things that are lose lose propositions.

Decline is well underway, enjoy those last meals and beach days kids!

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
Always good to be nice to servers. It always amazes me when apparently intelligent people are jerks to the people who handle their food.
Yep, why wouldn't folks be anything but nice to someone who is doing their job properly?

...The owner put up a sign saying something like if you yell at my staff I will throw you out.
All this makes it fairly clear to me that humanity had its shot and has failed to create actual sustainable civilization...

I've seen quite a few signs in retail stores lately that say something like "...we will not tolerate bad behaviour towards our staff. You WILL NOT be served if you disrespect our staff"

Great sentiment, but it's so sad that we have to spell it out to some people these days. Civilised? Not everyone, or everywhere, that's for sure.

I don't care what the job is, I always talk to the person, not the role description. I don't care if you are the waiter, the guy taking the rubbish away, the postperson, the doctor, the nurse, the retail person, whatever/whoever - I'll treat you like I would wish to be treated, with decency and respect.

...unless they are a total jerk, of course, but in my experience that's very rare.

metalicaster

Friend of Leo's
A theory I subscribe to is that how someone treats restaurant staff tells you everything you need to know about a person.

Want to get to know someone? Take them to a restaurant. If they don't mind their Ps and Qs there, you can pretty much just write them off as a human being and leave.

Ronhar

TDPRI Member
At the fast food drive through I always smile and thank the person passing my food. It’s gotta be hard being a rookie and putting up with their bosses crap for peanuts. I can appreciate the fact they’re human, probably doing their best. And I’m thankful I’m not having to do it.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
Both my first wife's mother, and my own father, were impatient and rude with servers; it was a constant source of embarrassment.

Not to mention foolish. Why on earth would you alienate people who are handling your food???

Tone Quest

Tele-Holic
All of my daughters were servers at one time. They would tell me of the rude customers they had. Fortunately it did not happen often. Since then, my wife and I go out of our way to make sure serving us is a good experience. After all, they are someone's daughter or son.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
Why on earth would you alienate people who are handling your food???
Exactly.

Unfortunately, I think it extends to all sorts of stuff that has nothing to do with food service, as well.

I think many of these people have the audacity to believe that if they are paying for something (regardless of how little) that they're entitled to be impatient and rude.

I just absolutely hate it when friends or family 'default to rude' simply because the server looks or sounds different than they do. That's why I mostly keep the restaurant trips to just my immediate family.

Chud

Poster Extraordinaire
Back when I used to wait tables in the city, I had a fair bit of fun with my tables as well, particularly when they were rude, dismissive, condescending, or just plain mean.

I had a two top for brunch one time who completely ignored me for the first 20-30 minutes they were there. Sure, you want to catch up, chit chat, and don’t want to be rushed, I get it. I’ll leave you alone for a while, check back a few times to make sure you’re not ready to go, but once the rush starts I’m on six other tables so I have to get you going.

So I walk back up to the table for the fourth or fifth time to refill waters and see if they need anything and I see one of the ladies faces go “Ugh…HE’s here again…” and she tries to give me the dismissive get outta here hand sign, but this time I stomp my feet like a five year old and in my best Sally Fields impression whine “Why don’t you like me?!?” and pivot to storm off. :lol::lol:

They turned into the nicest most grandmotherly apologetic old ladies after that, and we had a grand old time. Lol

Another time I had a younger pair of ladies I went up to introduce myself to, and one just cut me off and blurted out “Water…” So I said “Ice…oh I‘m sorry, I thought we were playing word association.” :lol::lol:

JeffroJones

Tele-Meister
I was working a busy atrium bar, back in the nineties.
Mr. Big Shot brings a gang in for lunch.
I'm manning the bar, as well as doing table service for drinks.
Mr. Big shouts at me, "Get your arse over here!"
OK. He orders drinks for the table, I bring them over.
"About bloody time!"
OK. The bill is $35. He slips me a fifty and whispers "Keep the change."
OK. Sweet.
Half an hour later: "Hey, lazybones! Get over here! Can't you see we're waiting?"
OK. Another round. Another fifty. Whispers Keep the Change.
And so it goes.
Then my pal wanders in, leans against the bar and has a drink.
Mr. Big shrieks at me: "Hey, get your arse over here!"
My pal says, "Jeez, how do you put up with that?"
I say: "Oh, its not so bad!"
:lol:

:::

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
That reminds me of a TV show I watched about immigrants to Australia. One was a polite and genteel Italian man who learned his English in Australia. He was invited to dinner by his boss. He arrived in his best clothes was on his best behaviour, and at the dinner table asked politely to be passed the "****ing butter". He thought that was its name, because that is how he always heard it refereed to :lol:

Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
It's good and eye-opening to be "the foreigner." I'm American and moved to London ten years ago. A lot of folks in the breakfast cafes I eat at are from various EU countries, such as Poland. Even though most are extremely fluent in English, they are used to English accents, so American accents really throw them. So it's good for me to be on the other side of the issue for a change.

Heck even English people have trouble understanding my wife and me at times. Whenever my wife orders a caffè mocha from the menu, they go back and forth several times.

"Caffè mocha please."

"Caffè what?"

"Mocha."

"What's that?"

Wife points to sign.

"Oh, Caffè mocha."

Sigh.

On the plus side, as an old geezer it was very flattering to have an attractive, young French barista ask me where I'm from last week, and when I told her California, she replied, "Your accent, it is so ...exotic."

Yeah, I'll take that.

Last edited:

Quarter1969

TDPRI Member
I bet all of us have some stories to tell, from both sides of the bar. The funny thing is that people who behave badly towards the staff tend to forget that it is the staff that handles their food and drinks so they have ample opportunities back in the kitchen to, well, eh..., "re-pay" for such behavior in order to at least have a moment of sweet revenge ;)

There are tons of sociological and psychological explanations for customers' bad behavior (and some waiters' bad behavior, too) but it all comes down to the bankruptcy of the idea of empathy. People tend to neglect the old concept of "walking in sb's else's shoes" and work on gaining some importance whenever they can via treating badly people who are not in position to easily fight back. It takes tough skin to work in restaurant industry, that's for sure. It doesn't help much that a lot of folks nowadays are really stressed and over the edge in their lives, hence the threshold is set really low and it takes very little to make them explode and yell at whoever's around and paid to take the insult unanswered.