Having difficulty getting back to my Teles

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Platefire, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I truly appreciate my Teles but seems like
    I'm finding it hard to get back around to playing them again. Normally I rotate equal time between my other axes but between new purchases and projects seems like the Teles are getting neglected lately and I still need to rotate through my Gibson types to get back to the Teles. I guess it's a good problem to have. I think I need to break out of normal rotations cycles and have a tele weekend just to get my tele defenency levels built back up again. Platefire

2. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

If I feel like I haven’t played mine in too long I just pick it up and play it.

AAT65 likes this.
  3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I recently got my first Tele, and I can see how it would be hard to get back to if you're out of practice with it. I wouldn't say they're hard or unfriendly to play, but they don't seem to make any concessions to you. You have to meet them where they are.

4. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

I found the transition from my usual short scale/humbuckers to standard scale and single coils quite startling at first. You definitely need to spend a couple of weeks concentrating on the Teles to get the approach right, at least I did. Familiar amp settings I used with my Les Pauls sounded dreadful as well and needed drastic modifying. That was a few years ago so I'm fully Tele-acclimatised now!

Hyliandeity likes this.
  5. Platefire

Well maybe you guys can understand what I'm coming from then! I kind of rotate through what I call guitar seasons--+such as strat season, Gibson season and tele season that may last a couple of months each season. The reason, just as AndrewG stated it takes some time for me to acclimate to a different type intrument to where I'm getting the most out of it. So after you go through this break in process, you don't want to switch intruments and start the process all over again. You want to lay with it a while and hone your skills with that particular ax even more.
    Sometimes it gets so good I find it hard to switch when the season has ended. Platefire

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Hyliandeity likes this.
  6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I've been on a Strat kick for the last year or so. If i need something else i go to the Les Paul. I'd not that, then acoustic.
    I've tried to cycle in the Tele but there just doesn't seem to be much there lately.

7. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

I traded an ES339 for a nice Tele after only having Gibsons for a year and as soon as I grabbed that Tele it was like being home again.

8. Platefire

Well I went for a period of years with nothing but teles. I fooled around and bought a bunch of different guitars since then so now there is a lot more in the mix. Also got a lot of good tube amps. It's nice but makes choice selection a little more complex. The thing about it is no matter what guitar/amp selection I go with now, it's usually pretty good! Platefire

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I reduced my quiver to three electrics and three acoustics. No way could I keep them all in rotation until I did that. I'm a much more focused player now and with less guitars, even more so. I also have more time to experiment with speakers, tubes and elevating my recording skills, so it has been a win/win to reduce the guitars for me.

However, in no way am I suggesting to purge your tele. That would be heresy.

Hyliandeity and Minimalist518 like this.
  10. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Holic

It’s a fine problem to have—and the reason I try to have several guitars. When I just had one electric, I swapped a lot if I got tired or bored. Several times I made very foolish choices based on novelty.

So now, if I’m tired of my strat, I pick up my tele. Or my coronet. Or something else.

11. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

I still rotate, but admit that I play less and less due to life changes and an assortment of bad excuses. I don't seem nearly as productive as I once was either. I need a good talkin' to. Still enjoy all my guitars, so that's a good thing.

Mad Kiwi and Platefire like this.
  12. Platefire

Ok FenderLover no excuses---you got arms, got hands, got fingers----spank that plank, as Billy G would say and let the Sparks fly!

Obsessed likes this.
  13. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's

I have the opposite problem, I can't seem to work in my other guitars

btheblue likes this.
  14. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

I would really struggle in that situation - option paralysis!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  15. Platefire

Option paralysis! Good term. When I first started playing in bands in the early 70's, it was a Silver face Bandmaster and a Jazzmaster. Easy choice! In a way that was good until you had problems with one or the other. Fortunately I had musician friends guitars I could borrow until mine was repaired. That's how I had my first experience with a tele, the drummers ax. Platefire

DAKnox, Hyliandeity and Minimalist518 like this.
  16. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Let me introduce you to the KISS principle, Platefire: Keep it simple, stupid (no offense intended)!

I like the feel, setup and tones on T-style guitars, so I have 2 Tele's: a Standard (2 single coils) and a Custom FMT HH (with coil splitting humbuckers).

I have 2 amps: a Roland Blues Cube Hot (American vibe) and an Orange 35RT (British vibe).

I have a simple 'board with Delay, Chorus, OD and Distortion.

I have a simple world - with sonic bliss!

Hyliandeity and Minimalist518 like this.
  17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’m certainly no expert on this, having been stuck in an Esquire rut for more than ten years, but one method I’ve used for getting back into other waters is the “jump off the pier principle”.

A Manouche is basically an acoustic guitar, but the 26 5/8” scale, wide flat board, and percussive attack make it almost like playing a whole nother instrument.
    Then grabbing a LP or Strat seems more sensible.

Image1529420939.844692.jpg

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’ve also had some modest success with the training wheels method.
    Took some time to source a nice light one piece alder hardtail Strat body, rout it fo JM pups because anything else fits those caverns, then fab an aluminum three saddle bridge plate and drill a JM pickup cover for the wider mag spacing of a Tele bridge pickup so that cover hides the fact that this is pretty much a Tele with a Rev BG strait plate.

Image1529422149.394231.jpg Image1529422173.237970.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Minimalist518 likes this.
  19. Platefire

FenderGuy, the KISS principal is easier said than done for me. I have established a new rule to prevent myself from getting bogged any further in the mulk. The rule is if I buy a guitar, I must sell one of my existing guitars. Therefore I got one for sale on eBay.

If you can continue in the present KISS
    Vein I commend you for doing so. Platefire

Hyliandeity likes this.
  20. Vintage Fan

Vintage Fan Tele-Meister

I went thru a similar scenario. After playing my Gibson ES135 which had very low action, I'd play my Fender 50's Road Worn Telecasters with 7.25 radius, which I had to keep the strings higher than the Gibson or put up with string choking when I would bend the strings. My style is bending strings all the time.

My solution was buying Fender American Special telecasters with 9.5 radius. I can lower the strings for easier faster playing with no string choking when I bend the strings.

I jettisoned the Gibson on Fleabay and still play my Road Worns also.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.