Having a small problem setting up my tele

Psinatra

Tele-Meister
I just built a partscaster with a bigsby b16. I shaped the nut myself, but it was the first time.

Anyway, everything is great except for the high E string. It has this little pinging noise and it's about half the volume of everything else (even when unplugged). It almost sounds like a tiny 12 string. It's restricted somehow.

It's probably the nut, but could it be the bridge?

Thoughts?

20211126_203605.jpg

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
When a string is "sitaring" it's just a matter of finding it. It's somewhere between the bridge and the nut. Try loosening up the tension, tightening it. Try stuffing up the nut slot with business card material to raise it....try bringing up the action at the bridge...and keep tinkering till you isolate.

Then find your solution.
Good luck.

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
I just built a partscaster with a bigsby b16. I shaped the nut myself, but it was the first time.

Anyway, everything is great except for the high E string. It has this little pinging noise and it's about half the volume of everything else (even when unplugged). It almost sounds like a tiny 12 string. It's restricted somehow.

It's probably the nut, but could it be the bridge?

Thoughts?

View attachment 923413

Ping aside, it looks great!

Psinatra

Tele-Meister
When a string is "sitaring" it's just a matter of finding it. It's somewhere between the bridge and the nut. Try loosening up the tension, tightening it. Try stuffing up the nut slot with business card material to raise it....try bringing up the action at the bridge...and keep tinkering till you isolate.

Then find your solution.
Good luck.
It pretty much only exists when the string is open. But it isn't vibrating against the first fret. So my thought is that it's in the nut somehow. Is that possible? If adjusted the truss rod and the bridge a fair bit. And it's always been there. Perhaps it does need a string tree...

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
If the nut slot is too deep, it can cause this kind of problem. The string should not be buried; about one-half of the diameter of the string should be clear of the nut slot. Also, the slot should be a bit wider and a bit deeper on the side of the slot closest to the tuners, a parallel-wall slot can ping and bind.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I have staggered tuning machine pegs so supposedly I don't need any string trees.

Maybe that's my problem

I always use string trees regardless. My 2 Teles both have "staggered" tuners AND string trees and they both sound great and stay in tune. Don't believe everything you hear on this board and elsewhere.

kbold

Friend of Leo's
Perhaps use a feeler gauge to check the angle the nut is cut at the E string: it should slope down slightly from the front of the nut.
This may need to be reset with a nut file.
IMO it's either the cut angle or the downward pressure behind the nut (as mentioned above).

RickyRicardo

Friend of Leo's
I sometimes get the sitar/pingy noise on the E string before I put on a string tree. Staggered tuners don't always do the job. However, check the nut first would be my guess.

Fenderbaum

Tele-Meister
Could be the nut. Sometimes a little passover or two with the nut file should do it (if you have anything left on the nut to sacrifice that is)
Try a straight passover (file is level with fretboard).. not an angled one.
Could be the slot is too slanted, as you do not want the nut slot to be more slanted than the angle of the string.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Any nut pix? (Keep it clean)

Almost certainly the nut. Pix will allow us to assess break angle. You could temporarily try adding some nut lube, but it doesn't fix the problem, only helps with the symptoms.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I vote for improperly cut slot in the nut. You need to be sure there's a slight angle from the fretboard side of the nut down toward the tuners. Only the front edge of the nut should be contacting the string.

Agree. Not only do I like a downward roll-off toward the tuners, I also like to splay the nut slot out slightly toward the tuners. I don't like a parallel nut slot - just a slot that keeps the string in place with minimal contact. Contact=friction=poor tuning stability - especially with whammys and big bends.

I do much of the fine-tuning with abrasive cord instead of files.

kbold

Friend of Leo's
Try a straight passover (file is level with fretboard).. not an angled one.
Straight cut IMO is not a good idea.
At some moments of the strings chaotic oscillations, it will be oscillating vertically (i.e. up and down the cut).
If the cut is horizontal, then at this moment the string is changing from contact at the front to contact at the rear of the nut.
This will cause this 'sitar' effect. This can occur independent of nut break angle (string tree fitted or not).

Last edited: