Haven’t gigged in years. Now I’m under pressure

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toadtele, Aug 21, 2019.

1. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

If I were you, I'd go for several practice sessions to see how it goes first.

Toadtele likes this.
  2. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

Use the Force, Luke. Let go. Luke, trust me.

Toadtele likes this.
  3. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Learn 4 songs. Really learn them. Make at least one of them an improvisational or "not cover" of something you really want to play. Maybe even 2 of them. Then go out there and don't even give a **** what anybody thinks. Play them to yourself, for yourself. You'll kill it.

Chunkocaster and Toadtele like this.
  4. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

If it’s fun and you really like it, then do it, if not..don’t.

Toadtele likes this.
  5. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

If you want to do it, then go for it. If you don't, then say no.

Toadtele likes this.
  6. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Form a band, call yourself The Jitters

Toadtele likes this.
  7. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

A few years ago I was faced with a similar situation. It had been more than ten years since I had performed in public, but because a song I had recently written had won a state-wide award, I was asked to play at the music festival which sponsored the contest. It was pretty unnerving thinking about doing a solo performance in front of a large crowd after being exclusively a porch picker for a decade.

While trying to deal with my performance anxiety, I came across an article written by Alan Horvath that really helped give me some perspective, and allowed me to successfully escape my comfort zone. Although the article focuses on open mic venues, its insights are helpful for any performance situation. Here's the link: http://www.acousticfingerstyle.com/openmics.htm

Good luck man, and yes, you can do this (if you want to)!

Dave Hicks and Toadtele like this.
  8. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Thanks for the link. I'm going to embark on a few performances in a so far unknown format (as soon as I am healthy enough, just spent a year telling cancer to fugg off) ... and I appreciate being able to read some useful insights.

stevemc likes this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

If you know the songs inside out and play them regularly, on rotation every day then playing them in front of an audience will be easy. It will basically be just another day doing your same routine. Two or 3 pints of beer will relax you enough to ease anxiety without hampering your playing. If you just prefer to play for your own enjoyment and can't be bothered with the effort involved to play out then that's fine too.

I play for my own enjoyment which is why I won't play songs I don't like.
    I don't really care what the audience thinks or wants to hear. Of course it's nice to have people enjoy your playing and compliment you but that's just a bonus and not the main reason I play. My city is full of guys playing for the sake of performing when they should probably be more focused on practicing and improving.

The advise above to pick 4 or so songs and really nail them before going to a open mic and performing them is a good idea. Then build on that if you have a good time and want to move forwards. I don't know why open mic's are dominated by sloppy players and why some are in such a hurry to perform that they can't be bothered to at least nail the few songs they get up for.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  10. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

"kinda frustrated. Not at all interested"

Hmmm... am I the only one who sees the obvious? That this isn't a good idea?

Stand up and tell them no! Dude, spend time doing things you ARE interested in. My two cents.

Toast and Toadtele like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.