Have you tried your Tele through a Fender Rumble bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by haggardfan1, Feb 25, 2019.

1. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I'm sorry, but there are a lot of threads skating around the guitar ->bass amp concept, and I wanted to get to the point. Recently I was given an Ibanez bass for Christmas, and the only thing I don't own is a bass amplifier. I've been looking hard at the Rumble 100, but I never considered it as a guitar amp...until some recent reading I've done around here.

Currently, I own more amps than I should: a current Peavey Bandit, an Ibanez Troubadour 25 acoustic amp, and three red-stripe Peaveys, a Studio Pro and two Envoys.

I'm not playing anywhere enough these days to justify owning five amps, so if there's a way to trade some of these for a bass amp that would double as guitar amp, I'm interested. I certainly cannot play my bass at gig volume through anything I currently own, so what do you think? Also, I have way too many amps for my space at home.

I'd like to keep one Envoy and possibly the old Ibanez amp, and maybe find a bass amp to serve as stage amp for both Tele and bass.

2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

No i havent but I will give it a go and let you know how it sounds , I used to have a 50 watt fender bassman BF with the 2X12 cab and the 2X15 cab that I used to run my guitar through , right now I have a rumble 100 with 2X12 bottom , I'll post and let you know!

Diytelecaster and haggardfan1 like this.
  3. haggardfan1

That would be much appreciated. My gigging has dwindled to about three or four gigs per year, and I don't keep amps at church any more. So I have five guitar amps taking up space at home now, and I only have use for possibly two, maybe three of the five. If any smallish (100w, around $300 range) bass amp could take the place of my larger guitar amps and be usable with pedals in front, I'm sure interested. Especially if it takes up a smaller footprint.

Ironically, in about 1982, a few months before I got my first "real" amp--a Peavey Classic 212 VTX--I did a gig in a giant club in Tyler, Texas with my dad's Peavey TNT 130 combo bass amp. Direct in and no reverb, which I don't use at all anymore, but a giant clean sound with a Telecaster.

24 track likes this.
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Other guitarist in my band has a Rumble bass amp.and when his HRDx flamed out used it at a gig. Worked OK. Nothing to write home about tone-wise but also didn't sound like doo-doo. In fact I preferred it over the HRDx for straight rythym.

It'd be workable.

5. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I have played a Tele thru my small-ish Fender Rumble 15.
    Just experimentally, mind you.

Beautiful clean sounds.

The amp is too small to gig with, and in fact, I only bought it to pump audio sounds thru in my wife's workout room. (It has an RCA-in channel.)

Rock solid though, this little Rumble 15.

:)

6. 24 track

I ran the tele through the Rumble 100 it has some really nice cleans I rolled back the bass on the amp to get more of guitar amp tone , I hit the scoop button and it the tele was directly in the ball park for tone , the rumble 100 has a built in DI, Efx loop, ground lift and a passive /active pickup selector , there is no reason why this would not fit your bill for clean sound

P1012180.JPG

rum pan.jpg

The Angry Possum and haggardfan1 like this.
  7. haggardfan1

Hmm... very interesting! Thanks!

24 track likes this.
  8. 24 track

was there anything in particular you were looking for, with this setup? or just general curiosity, the key was to hit the scoop button, then it sounded great . I would use it for sure!

9. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Yes ... Isn't a Bassman a bass amp and one of the greatest guitar amps ever ??? For rhythm guitar, a bass amp is optimal for bottom end oomph ... is oomph actually a word ???

nojazzhere and 24 track like this.
  10. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Tele-Meister

I tried a Strat through a rumble once - didn’t make me give up my regular amp but would certainly do in a pinch with tweaking the knobs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. 24 track

I used my bassman as a guitar amp because I sold my BF 65 super and i needed an amp , I cannot say i was reaaly moved by it ,of course I did not play well then at all, but I do have a nostagic attachment to it as well as my super, but I dont use a lot of peadls and the bassman lacked a reverb presence. JMHO

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Not really relating to your Rumble question, but years ago my bass player used a Kalamazoo Bass 30 amp......30 watts w/ two tens. I tried my guitar through it and it sounded great. I tried to find one for myself (pre-internet days) but never could. Ended up with a Black Face 2X12" Fender Bassman. That was also a great amp until it was stolen. :(

13. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister

The Rumble 100 is surprisingly good for electro acoustic guitar, better than a guitar amp. With a Telecaster, it needs a drive pedal to sparkle.

14. haggardfan1

The acoustic/electric aspect is even more intriguing...I really have to try one out. I read that bass amps can be great for A/E work as well; thanks to the above post from dobrojoe.

I have plenty of pedals to put in front of it for Tele, including a TS clone, a clean boost, and my Zoom G1. I don't really use effects on acoustic guitar, at all, so just a good amping of the sound would be great.

Your replies have been invaluable, and encouraging.

I would like to get rid of several amps and find one that will do double or triple duty, so we'll see when I can take my Tele in and test drive one. I'll get back to you!

Many thanks to you all.

15. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Meister

First set at clean tone, then half overdrive, then full overdrive. I was swapping between neck position and bridge position only.

I kinda liked it. The overdrive gets pretty fuzzy though.

I’ve had someone run an acoustic through it and like it, too.

16. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Yes I have. It sounded pretty good and it gets LOUD.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  17. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

Funny u ask. Did it a few weeks ago, great sound. I have a rumble 40.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  18. haggardfan1

So many encouraging posts...you guys know this might change my amp ownership life for good, right? :lol:

I do want to take my #1 Tele into a music store and try one out, direct in. I might take an A/E as well, just for grins. I just have so many redundant amps at present; it makes sense to at least look into downsizing. I'm doing the same thing with my PA at the same time.

19. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Meister

The new Rumbles are incredibly lightweight. Not sure about the older ones.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  20. haggardfan1

This is a great deal of the appeal. A Rumble 100 weighs about the same as one of my red-stripe Peavey Envoys. It's half the weight of my new-edition Bandit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.