1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Have You Tried Mapes

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burtf51, Apr 20, 2021.

1. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

Searched but didn't see much...Anyone here used Mapes strings. They're made in Tennessee. Don't know that they have flatwounds but make hex core, round core and octacore. My only experience so far is I ordered two sets of mandolin strings, PB and Nickel wrapped. I've tried just about every brand of mandolin strings. I just put on their set of mandolin nickel wrapped and like them quite a bit better than any brand I've tried as they have a nice rich tone and not extra bright as other brands.

If not mistaken they hand wrap their strings and I really like the option that you can choose a "custom gauge" order for any of their string sets and they are very affordable, my mandolin sets were $6 each and $4 shipping no matter how many sets are ordered. I'm going to order some of their acoustic and electric strings as I was very impressed with my mandolin string order. I'm looking at their octacore strings but know little to nothing about octacore tone. I see that they have a listing for a jazz set of strings. I don't know if this is just a set with specific gauges or what. I was told that they were very receptive and informative if anyone wanted to give them a call.

I think they started primarily as a piano string company over 100 years ago. From Mapes: We can do OEM guitar strings for guitar makers and luthiers, and private label sets for companies or individuals

Home Page: https://www.mapesstrings.com/

Ron C likes this.
  2. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Many string brands buy their wire from Mapes, and then re-brand under various names that you would recognize...

3. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Might have to give these a try.

4. douellette

douellette TDPRI Member

I just ordered up two sets. Thanks for sharing that.

I've primarily used Pyramids for years because I prefer round core. These are much more affordable, so I hope they're as good. I also appreciate the ability to do custom gauges.

We'll see.

burtf51 likes this.
  5. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

I hope you'll like them but if not you haven't lost a lot. I've only tried their nickel plated mandolin strings and they are nice and rich sounding but still have a punch. I'm gonna order some acoustic and electric custom sets from them based on my mandolin string order...

6. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I really have never noticed any substantial difference in electric guitar strings from various companies. I rarely buy anything but Martin strings for my acoustics.

Any particular reason that you "hope" we'll try them?

7. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Thanks for posting. I agree, it's very nice that they have the custom gauge option.

8. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

Everyone's ears, genres and instruments are different. I do like nickel and heavy gauges on all my instruments but then a half-step bend is bout as far as I care to go.

9. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    At one time Buck Owens endorsed Mapes strings.

10. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

I've used them. good company . I ordered a custom set one time and they sent the wrong size b strings I contacted customer service in an email and they sent me the number of b strings I had ordered in the correct gauge plus an extra set of my custom string gauge .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.