"Have you played every one of your guitars..."

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stormsedge, Jan 19, 2020.

1. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Mine all get played, some more than others. And every now and then I pick one up that i haven't played in awhile and ask myself why i dont play it more often. It was my SG a few nights ago. Backed off the volume a bit and it sounded better on the channels than i remembered.

stormsedge likes this.
  2. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nope, not even close.

stormsedge likes this.
  3. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Meister

Sadly no, since buying my LP standard last September and discovering what a superb instrument it is has left some untouched and they will be sold on now

stormsedge likes this.
  4. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I try to rotate the Herd as best I can.
    I have a Home brew Tele and a Les Paul that do the majority off the heavy lifting.
    The rest get rotated around them as best I can.

stormsedge likes this.
  5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Did your wife wear all those shoes, and carry all those purses at least once last month?

I thought not.

I haven't played any of my guitars in the last month - recovering from shoulder surgery!

But, other months, no, I never do. Why, is that a goal or something? When I want to play it later this year, for a solid week, how'm I gonna do that unless I own it?

stormsedge likes this.
  6. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

The OP has proven with great skill in math that he needs to buy 7 new guitars (or 6 and a mandolin maybe?) ..Having the obligation to play them at least once a month ain't that bad, easily doable. So on to new adventures and guitars!!

stormsedge likes this.
  7. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have 12 guitars and a bass. They all get played with the exception of the bass which comes out when there is a gig coming around. I have a schedule for restringing and make sure everything is set up and ready to play. They are hanging in my family room where I can easily get at them. My amps are on carriages so I can move them in and out when I like. So yeah, I play them every month!

stormsedge likes this.
  8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Nope. I have seven. One is a Partscaster with Tonerder Vinrtage pickups and a Wilkinson bridge. All my builds cost me a few hundred in parts. This one has more twang than I like so I have only played it once in the last year.
    Also have a Spruce top Cort OM but it has a 1 3/4 " nut. All others are 1 11/16'. After 50 years of playing I cannot get comfortable with a wider neck So they'll be up for sale as soon as people get over spending in our summer holidays.

9. Erdowonge

Erdowonge Tele-Meister

I have 8 ,of which 6 i would play frequently .I stashed em all besides a SG with very thin neck. Work can be a ***** on my hands and this is the most comfortable.

stormsedge likes this.
  10. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Yes...either at gigs or (as the wife puts it) noodling and practice...

8 electric
    4 acoustic
    3 basses

stormsedge likes this.
  11. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

And there it is! Mrs. doesn't care if I get more guitars, just wondered if I was playing them and where I intend to put six more...yesterday an odd day for conversation. Mrs. lives a simple life...wears all her shoes and uses one purse with an extra in reserve (because they do fail at inopportune times)---I on the other hand, am a collector of "stuff".

Dan German likes this.
  12. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

Hell yeah. I only have two electrics and two acoustics. With the acoustics, I play the wooden one more than the carbon fiber, but when humidity issues force the wood one into its case, I play the carbon fiber one all the time. Love em both. With my electrics, I play the strat all the time and the tele almost never, but I pick it up every couple weeks because it’s sitting there looking at me all forlorn like. I think I’m fundamentally a one-electric kind of guy and it’s always been a strat. But I’ve tried to fill myself by owning as many as 3-4, but I end up only playing the strat...

I think I’m gonna bury the tele deep in the closet though and just treat it as a total backup. Because I don’t want to sell it, I do like having a backup in case the strat is ever out of commission, but that way it’ll be out of sight, out of mind. If I sold the tele, no doubt at some point I’d buy another, thinking I needed one for some reason. So keeping it stuffed in the closet will ultimately save me money and a bit of mental anguish. And the neck on the tele is my favorite neck of any guitar I own, even if I never play it. So I should keep it just to pick up every once in a great while and remind myself of that, at least.

-Ray

13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Better divorced than shamed and whipped and told what to do and how to spend one's money

14. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

I have my 6 on a stand and do rotate through them - each gets played about once a week. Not touched the acoustic in about 18 months though :eek:

IMG_20200113_211801.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    stormsedge likes this.
  15. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

30+ banjos and 6 guitars...a full monthly rotation = 3 years. I haven't even seen my acoustic in 3 yrs.

They're all piled in the new music room. It'll take months to get that sorted.

20200120_085214.jpg

stormsedge likes this.
  16. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

I have seven and that's quite enough, in fact, at times it seems too much. If I'm not playing a guitar for any length of time, I'll probably sell it or give it away to a needy musician.

17. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, electrics, acoustics and uke.

18. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

I'm starting to settle in to a rotation. After I get over the newness of a new guitar or new pickups in an old guitar, I actually miss playing each one in the relatively small harem from time to time.

19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

If those are the two choices, I can't disagree!

20. trahx

trahx Tele-Meister

I have 8 guitars, 5 basses and a Bouzouki. I do not play all of them every month and some haven't been touched for months. The band I'm in requires 2 specific guitars so they get 80% of the playing time. Other guitars get brought out when I occasionally play with other bands or when I record.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.