"Have you played every one of your guitars..."

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stormsedge, Jan 19, 2020.

1. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

"...at least once this month?" asked Mrs.----I wish I could say I didn't give her a deer in the headlights look:oops:.

Back story: Due to a high GAS cycle over the holidays, I had two guitars (and a previously displaced mandolin) needing to be hung. I searched the house for what I thought were two or three extra hangers I'd put away (somewhere). Only finding one, I ordered six from MF (can't be too careful), and then today found four as I was getting ready to put them up. Hmmm, needed three, ordered six and found four...in good shape right? Up to the point where I (dumbly, I'll admit) commented to Mrs. "Well, I wanted a couple more guitars anyway:cool:." Then came the zinger in the title. DUOH:eek:!

2. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

I only have six electrics, an acoustic, mandolin, and a uke, so yes.

However, news from NAMM 2020 kept leaking here and did trigger my GAS again. Something about an AO 50s Tele with a roasted maple neck?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    bcorig, Fretting out and stormsedge like this.
  3. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

yes..record a lot of songs, about 1 a week these days & every song gets what amp & guitars fit...it's a ritual..couple days of jamming...then the recording process....multiple guitars are great for inspiration. have morning-afternoon & evening sessions every day. Been a way of life for quite awhile

4. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Oh heavens no.

5. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I have SAG; seldom acquire guitars.

6. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

As it happens, all 4 of the electrics & the bass, yes.
    My nylon-string guitar has had a few outings the last couple of weeks.
    My 12-string acoustic was out a couple weeks ago for some experiments with different tunings.
    But my 6-string acoustic — probably hasn’t been strummed in the last 3 months. I’m keeping it though!!

NewKid and stormsedge like this.
  7. RL52

RL52 Tele-Meister

I would never hang a guitar on the wall.
    Not in my hands?
    In the case.

alnico357, stepvan, Deathray and 3 others like this.
  8. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nope. I tend to have two out at a time. Unless I want a specific sound, I rotate every few months. Jag and MIJ Tele currently.

9. DaveG_NJ

DaveG_NJ TDPRI Member

It takes me at least a month with a guitar to decide it's a keeper, a foundation for a new build or a catch-and-release. Once I complete a full setup, that means I tend to play it almost exclusively (and perhaps the closest thing to it to do a little A/B comparing). So the latest acquisition usually gets most of the attention and those that already made the cut may not get played at all.

10. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Holic

I have several that haven't been played in quite awhile. I have at least two electrics that have never been hooked up to an amp. I have two basses that came out of the box and straight into gig bags (high end Fender gig bags) that have not even been looked at since I bought them.

I generally select a couple that live on a nice Fender double stand in the living room. But I don't play those. There are generally two in the "music room" sitting on the bed (hey - I'm not rich - the music room is just the spare bedroom). THOSE two guitars do get played. Currently on the spread is a new Gretsch GsomenumbernoonecanunderstandT and an American Telecaster Special I got in August for my birthday.

NewKid and stormsedge like this.
  11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

There was a time when I played all of my electrics in rotation. One of them is still always out on a stand. Since I got my CS '69 Strat, that one sees about the same playing time as the others combined. I take out my #1 acoustic when I don't want to plug in. I bring my other acoustic up from the basement for family or friend stuff outdoors. It's scratched and dented so if one of the kids or an inebriated adult adds another one it's no big deal, as long as they don't try to sail it across the pool.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    NewKid likes this.
  12. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    This month? Have played all (6) of my electric strings ….haven't broken out the Bronco Bass in a while....I bite at playing bass, bought it for "fun", and haven't played the acoustic in a while ….the Epi acoustic is my vacation at the beach/hanging on the back deck guitar, i.e., my "nice weather guitar" :)

JL_LI and stormsedge like this.
  13. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nope. But I play every one of them at least once in a while. I only have ten, though, so I don't hear too much about it, at least I haven't yet.

Skydog1010 and JL_LI like this.
  14. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

LOL. Then I'm in good company. I have noodled on all them in the last two months (except the banjos and mandolin). So, apparently nothing to see here.

15. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

i have 10 guitars, 4 amps, 1 ex wife. guitars and amps come and go but i`ve had the same ex wife for 35 years.

16. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

yes, but just like children we all secretly have our favorite

17. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I have enough that it takes over a month to rotate through them all, but I have the time, and a lot of great guitars.

18. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes. And Mrs. German has asked the same thing. If it isn't broken, I've at least picked it up and noodled within the month.

stormsedge likes this.
  19. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Bahahahahahahaha, your name Shirley?

20. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

I have guitars and amps stashed that I haven't seen in much longer than a month but no wife to nag me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.