Have you made a neck yet?

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I’ve cut a few bodies and more or less enjoyed the process. I’ve learned a lot doing the cutting, wiring, finishing, etc.

But I’ve never tried making a neck. And for that reason, I feel I can’t really say I’ve made a guitar. I wonder how many here have “gone all the way,” cutting a neck from a board? My only shop tools are a drill press, routing table, and a reciprocating sander. Other than that, just hand tools. Any words of wisdom?

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
A contour gauge and a really really accurate ruler make a good start. If you don't have a good spokeshave, now's the time. Also a plan- you will find yourself constantly removing valuable reference lines/surfaces, make sure you have enough left. Particularly a center line.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
It's not rocket surgery. You have plenty of tools to do the job. Most important are accurate tools for measuring. Pay attention and take your time. Cutting fretboards is a little tricky as your dealing in a couple thousands in. tolerance.
20210103_181332.jpg

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
I’ve cut a few bodies and more or less enjoyed the process. I’ve learned a lot doing the cutting, wiring, finishing, etc.

But I’ve never tried making a neck. And for that reason, I feel I can’t really say I’ve made a guitar. I wonder how many here have “gone all the way,” cutting a neck from a board? My only shop tools are a drill press, routing table, and a reciprocating sander. Other than that, just hand tools. Any words of wisdom?

Let's see...to make a neck I use a bandsaw, router table, router, drill press, and spindle sander. Sounds like you've got the bases covered as far as power tools go. And if you're making bodies and you have what you've listed you can surely do it. My best advice is to invest in a set of nut files.

I buy my fretboards with the fret slots pre cut from lmii.com and I usually get them radiused as well. I've done the radius myself a few times and it was a pain. No more.

A good couple rasps would help for doing the shaping on the back.

I'd be happy to share my process if you need it.

Erebus

Tele-Meister
F4C2D748-FD45-43FB-B1D4-8743B1A79E6A.jpeg
4FF4CE2D-4C76-4DAB-8527-FE048903AFCC.jpeg
7B7E491B-96B6-43B2-BE61-9F2242728B5A.jpeg
7D399F8F-F769-4474-ABDE-7A79E8D2818C.jpeg
0B5622C6-FB3C-4809-8191-4A2162971A84.jpeg

I had built a few with preslotted fretboards but it wasn’t until I built my first one-piece that I felt like I had ‘done it’.

Of course, couldn’t have done it without all the forum help

Attachments

• 03744959-45EC-4D85-AE08-0E99FB2225EF.jpeg
    03744959-45EC-4D85-AE08-0E99FB2225EF.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 37

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
A contour gauge and a really really accurate ruler make a good start. If you don't have a good spokeshave, now's the time. Also a plan- you will find yourself constantly removing valuable reference lines/surfaces, make sure you have enough left. Particularly a center line.
Bango! A good centerl on the neck and body is one of the most important things to establish at the very start. It takes out the guess work when it comes to taking measurements and alignment.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Let's see...to make a neck I use a bandsaw, router table, router, drill press, and spindle sander. Sounds like you've got the bases covered as far as power tools go. And if you're making bodies and you have what you've listed you can surely do it. My best advice is to invest in a set of nut files.

I buy my fretboards with the fret slots pre cut from lmii.com and I usually get them radiused as well. I've done the radius myself a few times and it was a pain. No more.

A good couple rasps would help for doing the shaping on the back.

I'd be happy to share my process if you need it.

I’m thinking a lot of builders here would be happy to see your process.

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
its not that hard but for a first time I would buy a preslotted fingerboard. I like to make them a bit wider than normal (I found this out the hard way) Having a neck you like to use as a model is helpful. Heck my first neck I made from homedepot 3/4 maple with a preslotted fingerboard. I may have gotten lucky but I did not even level the frets- I just pounded them in and it works fine 20 years later- I never tried again but it worked the first time

Greenmachine

Tele-Afflicted
I bought a bandsaw used for $50. Maybe you could get one. I used it a lot. And clamps. And fretboard radiusing sanding blocks. And you’ll probably need to make a fret wire radiusing jig. And fret press cauls to insert in your drill press. And a neck rest would also be good. Fret nippers and a fret and file would also be good.

so I guess you may need lots of stuff. Others will chime in I’m sure. Best of luck.