1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Have you had a shingles or Shingrix shot?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

A few years back, my wife had a mild case of shingles. As soon as I saw them spots on her leg, I took her to the doctor, and straightway got myself a shingles shot. Then this year, I got both the first and second doses of Shingrix vaccine. By getting her to the doctor quickly she took some kind of medication that lessened the effect of the shingles, and she recovered pretty quickly.

The reason I'm so paranoid about shingles, is that my former boss contracted shingles and had them for several years. He passed from another ailment before he ever got over them. Another friend of mine has had shingles for years, so long, that I don't remember when he got them. More than four years of that I'm sure. I DID NOT WANT SHINGLES!

I got my second dose Friday, and felt a little fatigued and had a headache, but today I'm fine. At least what I consider fine. I hope that the shot is as effective as the Doc says it is.

2. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Having had shingles a few years ago I got the shot(s) and have not experienced any recurrence. Better safe than sorry.

68Telebass, Wulf and Toto'sDad like this.
  3. Ted Keane

Ted Keane Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Shots hurt but it's worth it

Alex W, Wulf, Teleguy61 and 2 others like this.
  4. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Coincidentally, I'm getting my 2nd one tomorrow at 9:45am. No issues with the first shot. Definitely not an ailment I want to deal with. Had a close friend who had shingles for about 6 months and it didn't sound pleasant.

68Telebass, Wulf, Ronzo and 1 other person like this.
  5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yep, I've had both shingles and later the shot.
    My sis had it all over her face on one side when she was in the hospital. Comes on when you are weak I guess...

Wulf, Ronzo and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

Haven't gotten shingles but I did get my shots in the past couple of months.

7. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I had shingles and would be really happy to never, ever get them again. Really painful, for a couple months. I had the shots and had mild side effects

Wulf and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

I have not. My dad had a pretty good case of them, so I asked my doc about getting the shot(s). He said "nope". To young. He said that by looking at my blood work and such, he didn't think I needed to worry. He said wait another 5-6 years and ask again.

Greggorios, Wulf and Toto'sDad like this.
  9. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Meister

You'd DEFINITELY rather have the shot than have shingles.

Ask me how I know.

Greggorios, djh22, Wulf and 2 others like this.
  10. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

First of all, I'm happy to hear that your decisive action lessened her Suffering.
    Good call!

I saved a ton of Money by getting My Shingles Vaccine from a Roofing Contractor.
    YEP!!!

11. Toto'sDad

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Wulf and String Tree like this.
  12. String Tree

Instead of a bandage, they slathered some Roof Tar on me.
    So far, no leaks.

39martind18, Wulf and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

"Shingrix, when you're having more than one."

14. Toto'sDad

Three years ago, my wife started having an issue during the night. I called our doc, and miracle of miracles he answered the phone. I told him what was going on he told me to get her to the nearest hospital and not to wait for an ambulance. I did that pronto. The hospital we went to couldn't treat her but they were able to stabilize her, and give here several units of blood. She then took an ambulance ride to another hospital, and spent a week in the hospital. Part of the problem was a medication she was taking was wrong for her. The medication she's on now is expensive, but much better, no more problems.

We are a team, she's my number one priority. We've spent a lot of time together while she was in hospitals for two heart procedures. She just had a birthday, turned 78 years old, and looks twenty years younger than I do. She's doing especially well now.

DDickens, Wulf, Ronzo and 1 other person like this.
  15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I've always kept my tetanus shot updated but nothing else ... until I saw what shingles did to my wife's boss. He really never recovered ... soooo yup, I went and got it without questioning. I know two people that got shingles, but recognized the symptoms during the first week and both got vaccinated with no reaccurences since then over the last couple years.

16. String Tree

That is very uplifting to hear!

If she looks Twenty Years younger than you, she must look like she is .... 30?
    YEP!!!

17. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Got my first shot of Shingrix in spring, due for 2nd shot soon...

18. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I wonder how old you are. I had shingles at age 29, my wife at age 34, my sister at age 35.

Bummer they say you need to get re-vaccinated every 5 years.

19. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

When I was 49 I was watching all the commercials for the shingles vaccine and thought that would be a good idea. My HMO won't give it until you're 50 so I had to wait and you guessed it got it at 49. It lasted about a month and it could have been much worse so I feel lucky. If you're close to the cut off and want it I'd push hard for it.

20. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Got the generation 1 Zostavax vaccine a few years ago. However, that doesn't have as good a risk reduction rate (50%) as generation 2 Shingrix (90+%). My FD highly recommended it even though I got the earlier one. I got the 1st Shingrix shot a week ago and due back in 2-6 months for #2. Minimal side effects in my case except for a very sore/stiff arm for 5 days.
    The vaccine is expensive, yes, but worth it IMHO -- shingles is something I hope I will never experience!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Wulf, Toto'sDad and Ronzo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.