Have You Found Your Electric Guitar Gas-X. Something That Truly Remedied You G.A.S.?

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Afflicted
This is not a flip answer. Poverty eliminated GAS for me. My family had no money for this stuff. I was given guitars and eventually an amp as castoffs (crap, which I tried to fix), loaners, gifts, or "pay me later" deals. I never owned more than one at a time until much later. I got my first good (that is, decent) guitar in my last year of college, when my grandmother left me some money (a few hundred bucks). No complaints, no problem -- I always got by. But I sure couldn't fall into an "I want" mindset or I would have been miserable. I've had a reasonably successful life and can afford great stuff now, but my habit, formed long ago, was to be excited about things I can use, or that I need, at least when it comes to guitars, so I never find myself thinking "I'd like a new guitar." Honestly, it just doesn't occur to me. I consider myself lucky in this respect because holy mackeral, there is so, so much incredible guitar stuff out there now that endless with lists would be easy to write.
Much the same way here. After a divorce, job loss, and all sorts of hurt over the course of a few years in my late 30s, I was faced with missing a mortgage payment or selling all my gear. The only thing I didn't sell was the pair of studio monitors nobody wanted at the time. For years that experience kept me from buying anything nice for fear that any brief stint of having extra money would end with the same thing, saying goodbye to whatever I bought.

I buy small things here and there but even that's a stretch. Even earlier this year I was stuck and had to sell the Squier Tele that I'd bought.

I do see things I would like. Sometimes I entertain the idea. But then the realities of what is left after payday soon end those notions.

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
Maturity!
I really don't need to fulfill gear fantasies anymore.
Don't get me wrong I chased those fantasies for nearly 25 years and spent far more on gear than I should have but now I don't really give a rodent's derriere.
I'm down to 6 guitars (4 electric and 2 acoustic), 1 bass and 1 amp. That number will likely go down to 3 guitars within the next year.

That said, there's nothing wrong with chasing those fantasies and acquiring gear as long as doesn't effect your financial well being and you keep your priorities in line. Enjoy your gear, have fun and rock on.

ce24

Poster Extraordinaire
PRS SE1 AND DONE! But I do have others
IMG_1155.PNG
PXL_20220420_224011124.jpg

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
ehhh, that my inner self told me that i have had so many guitars and that i did not sound like........
that i sound like me and i have some guitars that fit like a glove.

but i think of my children and grandchildren to.
every real new guitar is part of a tree that had to fall for my GAS attack.
and knowing we loose a lot of those will make the next generation have more problems with nature and disaster i do not want them to encounter.

so i stay far away of new, and repair my guitars that need to be fixed and be satisfied.
so to with my 2 amps and the DIY pedals i need to get box't.
i am not a musician, guitars are not my tools i have to earn a living with.

and by the way, this is my personal journey and decision so don't feel offended ;)

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I have GAS.
I’ve had it for fifty of my fifty five playing years.
Apparently, it ain’t fatal.;)
I just love a cool electric guitar.
Basses are welcome, too.
I have plenty of em’.
I only gig with five of my seventeen instruments.
I only have one (gifted to me) acoustic I never play.
The ’spensive ones (all Gibsons) I enjoy at home.
If there’s a cure, I don’t want it!
P.S.
I’m not a hoarder, BTW.
The herd morphs and changes.
I catch and release several instruments a year.
I like to do “in depth” research, which usually dictated that I buy the subject.
If I don’t bond, off it goes.
I’m not sentimental about it, at all.

Last edited:

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Don't get me wrong, I do love having a fun assortment of guitars and amps ( not many & all 'player' stuff, nothing expensive or really valuable).
But for me, frequent gigs and just the love of playing acoustic at home, keeps 'gear lust' in check...
I think boredom ( not doing gigs) leads to GAS/distraction, but when I'm playing a lot, my gear thoughts don't go much farther than " What guitar has new strings?" ( for next gig), or " Change the strings on your Strat!"

Also, with playing acoustic at home- thoughts or worries of getting good OD/ distortion, effects, 'bedroom volume...', don't even exist.
You just enjoy playing the guitar.
( I think learning how to play first, on acoustic has a lot to do with this thinking- but I know not everyone likes to play acoustic, or even listen to one)

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Life taught me that material things don't make you happy. They just weigh you down.

These days I'm invested in trying to be the master of one electric and one acoustic that both really fit me. Learn all their possibilities and sounds.

If I find that they miss the mark somewhere, or just don't physically see to work for me, I might hunt for a stellar deal on something else used and buy and sell. But I don't need a collection. There's so much to learn about even one guitar's possibilities.

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
I went totally nuts with GAS over the last couple of years. Somewhere around eight guitars, two amps, half a dozen pedals. I cross something off my list and then something else rises to the top. Now I've got it in my head I need a DRRI and a new acoustic electric and wheels are turning in my head for what to trade or how to come up with the cash.

Hate to say it, but looking at something at an online music store or on Reverb and then a photo pops up in the margins of my screen continually for the next month is working on me.

That's not totally nuts lol. Since I started learning to play in Dec 2019, I bought 5 guitars, 4 amps, and about 40 pedals. LOL!

Much like @bgmacaw I got into buying cheap pedals at first. All $20 or $25 or thereabouts. I eventually moved to better, more expensive pedals by the end of my pedal excursion.

TG

Doctor of Teleocity
Funny...I just signed in to discuss this topic.

When I was busy gigging in the nineties and naughties and raising a family I would have 2 guitars and if I wanted a new guitar one would have to go. There also weren't as many options for getting a decent new guitar as we have now so it was a continuation of the 'lusting after the unobtainable' dreams I had growing up.
But I still managed to go through a lot of different guitars and try them out gigging.

The last 7 or 8 years I've become retired and although I'm not wealthy I've been able to buy and sell a few dozen guitars and I've now got 19 guitars. The search and the dreaming about a new guitar is in itself a nice thing. My litmus test for keeping a guitar is that it gives me a buzz when I look at it and I regularly take it down to play, and pretty well all of them now are keepers that it makes no sense to sell on, and I've been finding fewer and fewer guitars online that I think I might want to get.
2 days ago a new Harley Benton CST24t P90 turned up and my initial thoughts are that this could well be the best guitar I've ever owned and might just fill the GAS tank for awhile. Harley Bentons vary in quality and just last month I sent one back, but if you luck out and a good one turns up it can be REALLY good. This one is light...7 pounds maybe...and I cannot find a single flaw. Hardware is good, frets are stainless steel and it arrived set up as good or better than any Fender or Gibson I've ever bought. Plays like butter. P90s sound fine.

20221030_083117.jpg

Cornelius TX

Tele-Meister
I will probably always still look at and purchase guitars, but my Grote semihollow with p-90s may have ended my quest to find some sort of perfect sound (to my ears). The way it sounds is exactly the sound that I could not previously articulate, but that I knew I wanted to hear, if that makes sense. At this moment in my life/playing, it is the perfect guitar and no other guitar I have comes close.

Played yesterday with my new instrumental/funk/jam band (our first gig), and you can literally see on my face the joy that the guitar brings me!

image.jpg

superbadj

Poster Extraordinaire
For me, the cure for GAS is avoiding forums and YouTube.

if I don’t see cool gear I don’t lust for it and even seem to appreciate what I have more.

I say this with 2022 being maybe my biggest GAS year in a long time. Bunch of purchases. But I pave been on here and perusing YouTube for guitar videos more in the past year so there you go.

DekeDog

Tele-Afflicted
I've found the surest way to rid of GAS is to be happy with what you have, and I have all that I can regularly play. I just got rid of an Ibanez AFJ91 because it wasn't getting played. I'm down to 7, and that's where I'll stay.

2007 AS Tele (Fralin Steel Pole 42s)
2008 LP Std (stock Burstbucker Pros)
2009 Carvin SH550 (stock S-22s)
2012 Epi Dot (Fralin P-92s)
2020 ES-335 (Nashville)(stock calibrated T-types)(Gibson replacement for a flawed 2009 Memphis 335)
2021 Epi Frontier acoustic
2016 MIM Jazz Bass (Fralin Jazz pickups)

Original Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Fender ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb with updated firmware
Carvin MB-210 bass amp

Last edited:

NeverTooLate

Tele-Meister
It is an interesting question, no doubt. I grew up in a house with thousands of books. That served as a vaccine against collecting anything. I love books and make a living out of them myself but I only keep around 300 at home, those I really need. I only buy books I will repeatedly need.

On to my well-established hobby, 4x4, I have been a huge fan of internet "window shopping," but my 4x4 upgrades, while several and not cheap, have been 100% a function of experience. Like, replace some skids right away based on prior experience. Then, bent gas tank stock skid--replace rest of skids with aftermarket. Suspension wise, I tried gently at first, found I need top of the line for my style. AND THAT MADE ME ALL SET. It has been like 2 years since I had any desire to look up any gear because I need nothing. My Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 tires are now out of production and the replacement is even heavier so I am not looking forward to choosing a new tire. I used to LOVE that! But once I got the suspension, tires, and skids that are perfect for me, I was done. No metal bumpers. No winch. Nothing that I don't actually need.

On to guitar, I have neither money, nor space to collect stuff. My plan is 2 guitars (the current Player Plus and in 2-3 years a Les Paul or a Tele with aftermarket humbuckers, whatever I will like then best or maybe even a PIA, whatever). For the amps, one home-use tube (currently Blackstar HT5) and one TBD. Separately, my 11 yo has his own guitar and amp but if he does not continue, I will sell those. Will I want to try new gear? Sure, I may rotate amps but I have no intention of buying without selling. For pedals, my plan is to have none until I acquire some proficiency and to have no more than a few afterwards. If I ever get anywhere with my skills years down the road, like 5-6 years from now, I would rather just buy a top-end modelling amp like a Kemper and call it a day.

Things that can cure collecting:
--Spending money on your favorite causes.
--Spending money on travel. If you like travel...it never ends.
--Spending money on lessons that are worth it, like Ken Templin vocal lessons (I am not doing that but know the system and the impact it has). That will cure collecting very quickly because an hour costs more than a CV Tele :)

Things that can cure collecting AND spending:
--Investing. Don't be a fool and don't listen to "investing gurus" on Twitter and the like paid services. Do your homework properly (it will take a year or more) or just invest in the main index funds and call it a day.
--And/or invest in real estate during the next real estate collapse.

At the end of the day, both the money and the gear are just means to an end, to an experience and overfocusing on the gear is often a symptom of something deeper.

Obviously, if you can afford the gear and find it fascinating to have a piece of gear for every situation, and have 100 guitars and 100 amps, that's great. If you are a serious collector, that's cool. My post is in relation to GAS, which for me is the needless accumulation of common gear for its own sake.

Last edited: