Have You Found Your Electric Guitar Gas-X. Something That Truly Remedied You G.A.S.?

Gimble

Tele-Meister
My cure of late has been to ask myself, “Do I play better than I did a year ago?”

And the answer is always, no.

So why would I think another guitar is going to make a difference.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Yes, I have zeroed in on what I like with my partscasters. Best part is I can make as many as I want. Someone else has asked to them one as well! Having fun and very little guitar gas…

Matt Sarad

Friend of Leo's
10 years ago I got this:
I have an SG with Throbak T Tops, PRS McCarty gold top double cut with Harmonic Design P90s, Les Paul TV Special, 3 Teles, the Melody Maker I bought 50 years ago with vintage Gibson T Tops, a '58 3/4 Les Paul Jr, a Jazz Master, and a PRS SE converted into a Jerryfied Frankenguitar with 3 Dimarzio Super Distortion Humbuckers, push pull pots for single coils, a six position switch, preamp, and an On Board Effects Loop.
No matter what I play and love, I always return to the Brondel.
20201129_115110.jpg

skunqesh

Tele-Afflicted
things that keep from a NGD

1 running out of space
2 running out of fun money
3 see number 2
4 I don't really play any better than before
5 the last new guitar was kinda meh (see number 4)
6 Don't forget number 2 and 4
7 I have 2-5 'new' guitar projects I haven't finished, and can't remember where I left all the parts anyway, so then I buy new parts to finish them, and then I find the parts I was missing, and then I suddenly have 5-9 new guitar projects.

MyLittleEye

Tele-Meister
Yeah, I think I'm just about there and for me the solution has been an early resolution to keep things simple; just one nice solid state home amp and a proven dependable off-road amp. I'd quickly started off accumulating pedals but I nipped that in the bud with a basic multi-effect unit which I've realised more than covers my modest needs. I've resolved that if I want any more pedals, a Build Your Own kit will keep me occupied for a bit and be a far more rewarding experience/achievement than an instantly gratifying amazon/ebay buy.

My *first* guitar was a Pawnshop Series Mustang, chosen for its broadly versatile dual coil-splitting humbuckers. It was meant to be my "One Guitar To Rule Them All" but I subsequently found a second guitar to bring in a trem arm and phase switching.

I also have a cheap parlour acoustic for folk/blues with a soundhole pup for playing Lightnin' Hopkins style.

So I think that's me just about sorted except for a tele (which is why I'm here still)
However I'm in no rush for that - still waiting for the right one to come along.

I'm in the fortunate position that I have no professional aspirations whatsoever.

*actually there were a couple more in the 90's, now long gone*

Last edited:

Dave Hicks

Friend of Leo's
I have a G&L ASAT, a Les Paul with P 90s and an ES 125. Every time I covet something in a store, it's so close to what I've got that I realize I don't need it.

Now, acoustics... they're a different matter.

D.H.

Last edited:

TunedupFlat

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I never really worry about GAS anymore as I have never really wanted something that other people had since I was a teen. Whether it's a car, a RV, a fancy house, I don't care what is new.

I am a simple man who just doesn't care about that stuff. I like old style amps and have a bunch of 90's to 00's guitars.

When I retire a guitar from live use or pull it out of rotation for refrets, I end up buying a replacement for gigging.

I think many guys "dream guitar" is more of a right now thing that doesn't stay the same with age. Or at least what I thought was "the one" when I was a kid sure isn't the one now(who really wants another shoulder surgery from hefting around a white '76 Les Paul custom)

Now days it is more a matter of, " if the house is on fire what is the one I'm going to bring out with me...

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
Never say never, but I found my perfect guitar... 2018 Whiteguard Strat. Tele neck and hardware on a Strat body. Nice, light ash with Nocaster pickups. A dream to play. Strat comfort with Tele tone.

I went into CME the other day, with a friend... First time in there since That Which Shall Not Be Named. And I noticed not one twinge of desire for any of the guitars on the walls. Felt pretty good. I feel like I'm legitimately set for life now.

1664646687129.png

Last edited:

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My age. Don't need any more. My playing is pretty well set in terms of real advancement. I'm cool with what I have.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I find that if I just play, and quit looking at pictures of guitars on the internet, I have less GAS. I’m pretty sure there aren’t any guitars out there that are gonna make me play much better than the guitars I own…anything more is vanity and scratching an itch that will go away if I quit thinking about it.

Note:
I say that with the (irony? knowledge? self-awareness?) of having owned dozens of guitars and amps and effects and doodads over the last 30+ years, the time taken to figure out what I like and what works for me, and still owning over a dozen good-to-great instruments.

Having said that, I will undoubtedly buy or sell or upgrade the pieces in my collection on occasion—but I no longer feel that desperate aching hunger I used to feel when I look at a guitar catalog.

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I am adicted ,
I must admit my epiphany came when I was scouting on Ebay and found my dream guitar , the only lefthanded PRS dragon in green flame maple AAA top, with full body and neck inlays in silver, torquois, MOP , abaone, and a ruby for the eye . at a mere $60.000, I gassed bad ,really bad , so after drooling like an idiot thinking of taking out a mortgage to buy said beastie, ( I know what you are thinking, No I did not discuss this with Ms 24, as I own 23 guitars already) it dawn on me , 60 large to have a guitar I would keep instorage or under a bed and never play, out of fear of scrtching it is stupid. Also as I looked at the pictures there was some rather rotund person playing my guitar in a further picture on the add, now my guitar is violated she has lost her virginity , soiled as it were , she had been passed around like a lady of the night, so to speak .

next came the realization $60.000 = 120 Epiphone guitars = gas gone for good

brenn

Tele-Afflicted
If you want to remedy guitar GAS, taking on another expensive hobby will do it. In the '80s and early '90s I spent my money on guns and shooting. Then I decided to teach myself to play guitar and for the next 12-15 years my money went to music gear. Then I started shooting in competition and I mostly quit buying guitars and the money went back to guns and shooting gear. Then I got a motorcycle and my money went to motorcycle payments and parts for a few years, then I got selected for a shooting team and it was back to the guns and gear again. Of course, you still have GAS for gear, so it's just a different kind of gear. Some kinds are more expensive than others.