Have You Found Your Electric Guitar Gas-X. Something That Truly Remedied You G.A.S.?

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
I found a partial cure... I am an SG guy, I own more of them than anything else. And I have always wanted to be a Les Paul guy... they are so cool, and way more flash than an SG, and somewhere along the line I got the idea that they should, be, sound and feel similar.

In the past I would buy a LP and sell it off quickly as "not the one", this went on for years. Until at one point a LP model was made that truly checked every box for the mythical Les Paul I had created in my head. I bought this Les Paul, I am looking at it now. It is stunning and perfect in every way.... except I hate playing it. It is heavy, thick, not comfortable with my body type, the neck is in the wrong place when I am seated, and it is middy and muddy all at the same time. It has the redeeming quality of an amazing fast playing neck and fabulous looks, but playing it is just unpleasant for me. An SG or a Strat just fit me better.

I committed to keeping it, because what I really want is an SG feeling guitar that looks like a Les Paul. That is not a thing, and I don't think it could ever be. I never find myself looking at Gibsons at all any more. I have every variation of SG that I care about, and no Les Paul will ever measure up to what I imagine I want it to be. So I look at this Les Paul every day, and I understand why I will not buy another one.

That being said.... one of my favorite and most played guitars is the new Epiphone Prophecy. Which looks a lot like a Les Paul, but is in no meaningful way a Gibson Les Paul. It is Epiphone copying the look and feel of ESP copying the look aesthetic of a Les Paul but with Schecter like playability, feel and fretwork. Oddly, the shape of the body is different in just the right way, and I think the 24 fret neck and cutaway situate the whole guitar better for me in a sitting position.

Call Me Al

Tele-Holic
I think I’ve tried enough things that I realize it’s not the gear it’s me. Sounds like a cliche but I believe that. I feel fortunate I discovered it before falling down the rabbit hole too far. And it doesn’t hurt that I’m a cheapskate! 😁

I’m also kind of a minimalist. I gravitate towards favorites. Whenever I get a new axe I spend time A/Bing, deciding what to keep. Anymore I don’t want to waste time with that I just wanna play!

I can’t say the GAS is completely gone, but it’s pretty low level these days.

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
Sorry, @arlum . I didn't get from your post exactly which guitar cured your GAS.

As @Timbresmith1 said, chasing guitars became a distraction from making music for me so I quit doing that. Same with amps. I have five electrics. My profile pic Tele, a PRS Silver Sky, an Epi Les Paul, a Firefly ES-335ish semi, and a PRS SE Paul's Guitar. I just bought a little travel acoustic for campfire stuff. I have a couple of cheap modeling amps which I don't use and will sell when I get around to it and a Quilter Aviator Cub which is all the amp I need or want.

I've been playing for two years and have bought and sold several guitars in that time but I'm done at this point and intend to use the sound tools I have to make the music I want to make. I'm not immune to wanting gear but I've found that if I just wait a week before making any purchase, the desire goes away.

Eddiebaby1

Tele-Meister
I had a JTV59 Variax. The singlecut James Tyler designed guitar.
A brilliant guitar in its own right with Variax sprinkled on top. But i wanted a Strat to use instead of the one in storage a long way away. So i got it (American Pro II) and stoped playing the JTV.
Then I bought a Tele (American Pro II) and stoped playing the Strat.
Then I bought a Chapman ML3 Bea signature Baritone. Still kept playing the Tele.
Bought a P-Bass - realised I'm not a bass player.
So I have two I play and 3 I don't.
I really need to sell the unused ones but I know I'll get a hankering for a PRS SE or something. At least with the others taking up space I'm not tempted to buy.

Effect pedals though...
I though buying a Kemper would stop that urge. I was wrong.

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
I am too young by OP standards to post here, but will anyway :)

GASed since I was 16, heavy. I had a lot of expesive gear in the meantime, always had to flip seomthing to buy the next, but it never ended. I was really never ever satisfied with a guitar and constantly changed parts or looked for the next best thing. It was crazy.

I realized at some point, that the stuff I am aiming for look and built wise is stuff, I would never be able to afford, so, I would be unhappy forever. So my solution was: if you can't buy it, build it.
I sold all guitars I had at the time (Gretsch 6139CBSC, Gretsch 6134BK, Epiphone Elite Byrdland, Tokai LS-320 and a few I forgot about) and invested the money in a building course and then in a small workshop.

GAS free since then. But now I may have GBS, as I can't stop building :) But the good part is, this way I can get whatever I ever wanted to have and constantly hone my skillset. Just buying guitars may inspire you to play more sometimes and therefore get better at playing, but it doesn't expand your skills significantly (at least for me it didn't).

I am working in MI and have had high end guitars around me professionally for the last 18 years. But I really stopped being attracted by the stuff, as soon as I built my first guitar, knowing, one day, I could maybe build/design something "better" in my eyes.
I still like to look at guitars and get inspired, but I never got the feeling again of really wanting to have one of them.

BUT: having cured the guitar desease led to getting the amp desease. I am still on the fence if I should learn to build my own amps, as it seems harder to get into building amps, than into building guitars.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I cruised through my hobby guitar life for >40yrs...perfectly happy with three guitars (an acoustic 6 & 12, one electric), on amp and a banjo. A GAS'd up buddy, pandemonium, guitar forums and Mrs being sick (which pretty much kept us in for almost two years) AND my own growing interest (I blame myself) have seen that grow by almost tenfold (technically one guitar a year and an amp every four...LOL).

The last few acquisitions have either convinced me I've found my best fit, already had my best fit, or just need to get down to practicing in more detail (because the next changes will be in technique). In any event, I've hit critical mass for the space available and am now trying to cull out the items gathering dust. So, yeah. I'm almost there.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
Sorry, @arlum . I didn't get from your post exactly which guitar cured your GAS.

As @Timbresmith1 said, chasing guitars became a distraction from making music for me so I quit doing that. Same with amps. I have five electrics. My profile pic Tele, a PRS Silver Sky, an Epi Les Paul, a Firefly ES-335ish semi, and a PRS SE Paul's Guitar. I just bought a little travel acoustic for campfire stuff. I have a couple of cheap modeling amps which I don't use and will sell when I get around to it and a Quilter Aviator Cub which is all the amp I need or want.

I've been playing for two years and have bought and sold several guitars in that time but I'm done at this point and intend to use the sound tools I have to make the music I want to make. I'm not immune to wanting gear but I've found that if I just wait a week before making any purchase, the desire goes away.
The Giffin Standard

Attachments

• 04B1F162-4442-43AA-B4C4-F1D058153B9B_1_105_c.jpeg
    04B1F162-4442-43AA-B4C4-F1D058153B9B_1_105_c.jpeg
    466.2 KB · Views: 16

Brent Hutto

Tele-Holic
Many electric guitarists have come to know G.A.S. as an addiction or way of life. I've always laughed at threads about this issue but at the same time averaged one new electric guitar purchase every nine months or so. After you reach a dozen or so you start admitting to yourself that there may be an issue here that needs to be addressed. If you're rich or young enough to use a payment plan this problem can be navigated, but, when an average earner gets older and no longer is willing to take on debt .... something needs to shut it down. I've always wanted to enter my retirement / golden years debt free yet satisfied with my stable of electric guitars. I don't want to grow old thinking of the one that got away. I still work full time, (I love my job), but will probably retire in my early 70s. Say 3 to 5 years from now.

I stopped buying amps 3 years ago. I own more than I need and made my last purchase a Mesa Boogie Mark V:35 because the Mesa Boogie Mark series always seemed to define me during the '70s to '00. This last purchase was quite a bit cheaper than my prior 3 amp purchases but seemed a fitting way to close that door. It's worked perfectly. I still love to talk about amps but feel no need to ever make another purchase. I've got a few high end boutiques, a couple of Fender production models and my last Mesa Boogie Mark series as mentioned. I'm set and happy.

About 20 months back I purchased an electric guitar that, (not knowing it at the time), would apparently cure my G.A.S. forever. Since the day it arrived in my home I've never once considered another electric guitar purchase. I still love all the other electric guitars in my stable prior to this particular purchase but, no other electric guitar purchase has been able to totally shut down my G.A.S.. I know for a fact that my electric guitar purchase days are behind me. So ...... No more amplifiers and no more electric guitar purchases. That's a huge milestone for me.

I still belong to guitar / amp forums and visit guitar / amp dealerships but feel zero desire to make a purchase. Nothing offered can top what I've got. It's true ...... I've always wanted a Gibson 335, another SG like I traded in years ago, another Fender Telecaster X 3 or 4, a solid body Ricky 12 string to go with my Ricky 12 string semi-hollow, and / or a Gretsch Country Gentleman. Now I check them out, walk into my studio and play for an hour, and totally lose any desire to make a purchase.

Dealers who've come to depend upon me shouldn't give up all hope. I'm still open to purchases of guitar pickups, guitar straps, N.O.S. amplifier tubes and all other electric guitar related gear. I'll just never buy another Electric guitar or Amplifier. I am so perfectly satisfied that nothing will change the way I feel.

Are there others here who could share their stories about what freed them from G.A.S. I'm sure some youngsters, (under 50), might be on the fence. Looking for a cure. My advice ....... make the choice to find an electric guitar that covers the goal of "finding me" with price no object. For hobbyists or weekend players or folks who just want something to fill in the down times this post is not for you. I would never spend this money on a hobby. Are you a golfer? Buy some clubs. Are you a car collector. Buy another car. This thread is about electric guitarists who might never stop dipping into they're savings trying to fulfill a need. Look past the known. Do some research. Find an electric guitar that meets the majority of your goals, surpasses many of the others and takes you to a level you just know you'll never surpass. No matter the price ..... unless you have to sell your first born son ...... buy it. [Note*** This is a thread for older players who are having difficulties freeing themselves from a lifetime of G.A.S. . If you're young and have a lifetime to make and correct choices just pass. This is an old folk talking to other old folks.
Well I think your "about 20 months back..." is an important part of this. You can't really know if you've stopped the GAS attacks until some time goes by. At least a year or two.

In retrospect, when I took up playing acoustic guitar it took me about 6-7 years and well over a dozen guitar purchases (including at one point owning four acoustics at the same time) but I did finally acquire The One that's with me more than a decade later. Took a while to sell off the others but I did finally achieve a lack of desire for more or different guitars. That one will do me just fine.

I went through a shorter phase of playing and buying mandolins. That only took less than two years and I probably bought half a dozen before finding The One. But once I'd had it a few months, sold off the others, the urge to try or buy other mandolins was gone (plus I quit playing mandolin regularly which helped a lot!).

Even after all that, I did have one moment of weakness during the first year of COVID. For no reason really other than boredom I bought a very nice, brand new Eastman acoustic guitar that I had absolutely no need for. Every single time I picked it up within 10 minutes I stuck it back in the case and got my other long-term keeper guitar out instead. It was a ridiculous impulse purchase and after a while I cut my losses and sold it off cheaply.

Too soon to say how this will all play out with electric guitars. I did a LOT of shopping before buying one I liked about six months ago. But it always seemed like "good enough" rather than the one that was really perfect for me. Just a couple weeks ago I got a Telecaster that I enjoy playing 10x more than that first electric. So I think this one may very well be the keeper that eliminates electric guitar GAS. But I won't know that until a year or so goes by and I don't suddenly decide something else is what I need instead.

BryMelvin

Friend of Leo's
I have a lot of guitars from over the years but never more than 1 a year. I've given a lot away though to. So i guess I am not really a HOARDER.

Now I make one (The wood parts) from scratch a year or so. Tend to stick to Carve tops Hollow bodies and acoustics. Makes the fun last longer.

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
playing friends' gear and learning about specs/circuits. by chance i have some friends older than me who were grabbing classic stuff left and right in the 90s before vintage stuff was so fetishized.

i've also been playing for like 20+ years, so i have tried way more stuff than i have bought. i learn about what makes that stuff work in the case of pedals or amps. as far as guitars, i either remember the feel or actually take some measurements of examples, or get to play them through my own setup and see if they work.

if i have bought something or am borrowing something for an extended period of time, i always have a practice session with it. noodling is going to produce a favorable impression, cause it’s a cool new toy. the proof is whether it works for actual workflow.

so i don't have zero gas, but i can basically block out like 75% of what's out there from the get go. i definitely window shop a lot, but the ultimate consideration is "am i going to gig or record with this?" and "is this a one trick pony or not?"

Last edited:

tvvoodoo

Tele-Afflicted
might Sound silly, but I'd you have some good sounding and playing guitars, small improvements like really really good straps, big strap buttons, More unique knobs, pickguard etc. to personalize it will really make them your own. Improving and appreciating and learning more about what you already have keeps the wandering eye in check. Works for wives too LOL!

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
I am gas free.
I love my avatar photo Tele Deluxe, my Tele and my Les Paul. I have always wanted to own them and I have been fortunate enough to be able to get them over the years. I can get everything that I want out of these guitars. And for a play-at-home, hobby guitarist in his mid 30s these guitars are everything and even more than I really need.
I am still looking, to see what guitars are out there, but there are none, that would trigger gas in me.
20220225_162730.jpg
20220502_183847.jpg

kuch

Tele-Afflicted
I'm almost 70.
One of my rules is never go into debt for anything. Cash only.
About 10-12 years ago, I decided on going for quality instead of quantity. I've been through over 100 guitars and amps in the last 20 years.
I've given away more quality gear to my family than I have for myself now. I'm truly happy with my stable.
Personally I actually have more guitars than I really need and might sell or trade a couple of things to get maybe another amp or guitar. I'm really selective and not in any rush.

BrazHog

Tele-Meister
There was a time when I was buying up loads of cheap guitars and hot-rodding them with Internet parts. I had many similar guitars, but one was set up for metal, one was set up for rock, one was set up for surf, etc. It was fun to do and there are no ragrets, but I feel like I've come out the other side of that whole process now. Kinda like how when you first get a slow-cooker. You can make all these amazing meals and they're cheap and easy, but after a while you notice that everything you make in there all kinda tastes the same.

Great comparison! Tone is in the finger steaks...

I think I’ve tried enough things that I realize it’s not the gear it’s me. Sounds like a cliche but I believe that.

When it comes to electric guitars, assuming they are reasonably built, they all are going to sound more the same than different.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I don’t want to be cured.
I also readily admit that I have far more great instruments than I need.
I’m pragmatic about them, though.
The collection waxes and wanes.