Have you ever tried to locate one of your sold guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rockinvet, May 4, 2020.

1. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Holic

Have any of you tried to locate a guitar you sold? I did, purely for sentimental reasons. I tried to locate my first guitar one time by posting an ad in Craigslist in the area it was sold. It was a Gibson es125 cutaway sunburst. What made it unique was the headstock was dented from being dropped and massive chips around the rhythm pickup. When I was young and foolish I took a jig saw to cut a hole big enough to fit a humbucking pickup. At the time I didn’t like the p90. Well needless to say things did not go well and the guitar was scarred forever. I even advertised what music store the guitar was sold from. I sold it to the store which in turn sold it. I posted a picture and a reward.

I never got any replies. I miss that guitar. And it played really well. Honestly to this day I still want to find it.

djh22, Jakedog and LGOberean like this.
  2. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

No, cos I only sold the crap ones.

3. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire

I do occasionally see ads like that on the local CL. I’ve been fortunate to never have sold any guitar I liked, but did have one stolen. I bought it back at a Philly Guitar Show @ 20 years later for a bit more than I originally paid for it back in 1988. C’est la Vie.

Rockinvet likes this.
  4. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Once, I tried to track down a guitar I sold on eBay, but the listing was too old and I couldn’t look up the history on it anymore. More recently, I had kept in touch a handful of times with a guy I sold a guitar to on Reverb, and he agreed to sell it back to me a few years down the road.

Without an online record or email chain...I can’t even imagine finding it without divine intervention. Good luck.

Rockinvet likes this.
  5. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

Yes and no.

brookdalebill likes this.
  6. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

No, they were sold 'cause I got better ones...

radiocaster likes this.
  7. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not looking for something to smash, so no.

8. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

No... gone is gone

brookdalebill and gwjensen like this.
  9. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

10. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

There’s one I’d like to have back, but I doubt I could find it. I sold it on consignment at a music store in Pittsburgh more than 25 years ago. There was nothing cosmetic that would make it stand out from guitars of the same year, make, and model, and I don’t have the serial number.

Rockinvet likes this.
  11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I had a Bluesbird in '69 that was special. I modded it (DUH!) and added a center pickup. I've had a lookout for that guitar for a long time. I've never seen it though.

12. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

View attachment 716100

I saw this hollow body on CL one day and really wanted to scratch a jazz itch I had. The guy said he was interested in trades so I shot him a few pictures of some guitars I had. A couple of basses, a MIM Strat, a Squier Tele but none of them got his attention except a picture I had taken of an Ibanez Five String bass.
    He says to me, "that picture of the five string bass, what is that yellow guitar in the background?"
    I was not sure so I pulled up the email and I saw my Squier '51 sitting in the background of that picture. I explained what it was and that it had a custom pick guard and an added three way switch and tone. He tells me he wants it. I was a little taken back as I paid a C note for that guitar, it was the first custom pick guard I had made (so it was not perfect) and all in all it was probably worth $150 at the best where as the arch top was probably a $500 guitar new. The guy heard the hesitation in my voice and then said he could add a little money if needed. I actually laughed out loud and told him if he was good with it straight up I was as well.

Sqier 51.JPG

We made the trade and I did miss the guitar on occasion. I later saw it back up on CL by a pawn shop selling it for $250. I thought about going and snagging it back but I didn't. I saw a week later that it had been removed from CL so I am guessing someone bought it.

Attached Files:

Rockinvet likes this.
  13. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

There is one I sold on CL I truly have seller's remorse over. Not because it was an expensive or high end instrument, but because of its age and provenance, and it would fit nicely in my collection today. It was a Hohner HG-14, a Japanese vintage 40 year old classical. I bought it used 6-7 years ago for $150. I had two other Hohners at the time (one I subsequently gave to my son), and I knew the quality of those old Japanese Hohner guitars.

But I sold it at the time for several reasons, one of which wasn't related to the guitar itself. I had a heart attack in 2014, and subsequently quadruple bypass surgery, and though the gear I sold on CL in the aftermath didn't take care of all my medical bills, it was what I could do to help with expenses.

As for my guitar-related reasons for selling, there were two. (1) The HG-14 had that wide neck typical of classical guitars: 2.04" at the nut. That made for a bit of a stretch playing certain things. (3) It wasn't acoustic/electric. I was thinking that I'd go for something that I could gig with if I wanted to, the Córdoba Fusion series Orchestra CE, for example.

So I sold it for what I paid for it, $150. I've since acquired another old Hohner, the HG-905 acoustic, a 1979 Japanese vintage. The other Hohner acoustic I have is my beloved G-940, also an old one MiJ, which I bought new in 1983. It's the reason I'm such a Hohner fan, and one I'll never sell. So I often think back and wish I hadn't sold that HG-14. Having a collection of those quality Japanese guitars from four decades ago is the kind of "collecting" I can see myself doing.

All that said, I haven't tried to hunt it down. I didn't actually own it for very long, so there's not a lot of sentiment attached to it. Interestingly, sort of knew the guy that bought it. When he came to my house to look at it and some other gear, I recognized him as a guy that had been a regular at a coffee shop I used to play. Didn't know his name, and can't remember it now, but the fact that someone who had been to my gigs wound up being the one that bought it from me actually softened the blow of selling it.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Rockinvet and djh22 like this.
  14. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

I had a bass that I tried to get back. I found it, but I had sold it for about $1,200 and it was on Reverb just a couple of years later for $1,800. It never did go into the "sold" category, it just disappeared. I can tell you he was NEVER going to sell it for $1,800.

Rockinvet likes this.
  15. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

I've never gone looking for one of my past guitars, but I had one fall into my lap back in 2013. I talked to a friend of mine who mentioned he was watching an early/mid-80s Hondo copy of a Fender Lead II guitar on e-Bay. He wondered if Hondos were any good. I owned a 1981 Hondo II 'The Paul' copy from 1985 to 1988. It had a bolt-on neck and a flat top, but the hardware was brass (including the nut) and it had the MMK pickups that Matsumoko guitars of that era had. I told him all in all, it was a pretty good copy. I traded it in for a Squier Strat in 1988, and that conversation was literally the first time I had thought about the guitar in years.

The very next day, I looked at Craigslist and saw a listing for "Hondo II guitar" and I clicked on it out of curiosity. It was my guitar! Not the same model, but the same EXACT guitar. I could tell because a close-up photo of the headstock showed two small holes I had drilled to mount a logo.

I e-mailed the seller to see if they wanted to trade for anything. She e-mailed back and said no, she wanted to get rid of stuff, and she was asking $100. I mentioned it to my wife, who surprised me by saying that if the guitar popped up after 25 years, I should really buy it. I arranged to meet the seller the next night.

My wife went with me and it turned out the woman selling the guitar had worked with my wife 15 years earlier! She told me she bought the guitar in 1988 at the same store I traded it in to. So it went from my hands to hers and back to me.

H2.jpg

don71, Rockinvet, Jlwctn and 4 others like this.
  16. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Holic

This is a nice story.

17. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

That's kinda like Googling your ex to see where she is right now. It seems a bit mentally strange to me.

Obsessed, P Thought and Peegoo like this.
  18. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Holic

I found one I had sold for $2500. It had passed on twice. The current owner offered it to me for $3,500. I declined since I had paid $1,850 for it New.

I’m still searching for the other one. The owner died. I can’t find the family.

Rockinvet likes this.
  19. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Yeah, like re-marrying someone you've divorced.

Water under the bridge!

Obsessed, memorex and Rockinvet like this.
  20. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Are you kidding ???
    I can't even locate the guitars that I still own, much less a few I let go years and decades ago ...

Rockinvet likes this.
  21. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

and yet. . .

rangercaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.