Have you ever refinished any of your favorite guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digiplay, Jul 5, 2020.

Have you ever refinished any of your favorite guitars?

Poll closed Jul 12, 2020.
  1. Yes.

31 vote(s)
    47.0%
  2. No.

25 vote(s)
    37.9%
  3. No, but I had someone else refinish it.

10 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

If so, tell us the story :)

Jerry

PS
    Happy 4th of July everyone!

2. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

No, but I have thought about it. And decided it is beyond me.

But, I'm tempted to acquire a "non favourite" cheap thing and try.

Pax/
    Dean

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

CE088ADA-AB07-4ED4-A021-BDF286E463E6.jpeg EEA722B4-412E-43E6-A608-044A6F7D6CCA.jpeg A few refins and a few new finishes.
    Many have moved on but here's a 50s Esquire body I refinished from non original paint.
    The other two are unfinished parts, I like wood and use various tung oil type finishes.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've thought about it.... but I don't want to ruin the mojo....:rolleyes::lol:

pine marks on tele.JPG

5. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

Hi Dean, how have you been?

No matter how a Poll question is asked, it seems that many times there needs to be more than 2 answers because of the wording of the question :)

What I'm asking is if any Members have had any of their favorites guitars refinished, either by doing the work personally, or by having someone else refinish them.

GREAT to hear from you!
    Jerry

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  6. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

While in my late teen years I had my Les Paul studio refinished. It was black with no binding and I was dreaming of a LP standard but couldn’t afford one.

The pro refinished it beautifully in cherry sunburst, and opted for a faux binding since it would have been too expensive otherwise.
    He said it was a bit of a gamble since on these LP studios the maple top was often not the best looking, but sometimes it was nice. I got lucky and mine was nice: no flames of course, but a pretty piece of wood nonetheless.

I kept the guitar for a few more years and then sold it for my first telecaster (a blonde MIM 50s reissue). It was very easy to sell and the one and only Gibson I’ve ever had.

I have no photo of it unfortunately (those were times before digital cameras, when you did not photograph everything unconsiderably).
    Another one I should have kept, but couldn’t afford to have 2 electrics and I was in a transitioning phase, replacing Slash by Buckley as my main inspiration. So I guess the move was useful.

smartsoul72 likes this.
  7. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

When I was about 19 I tried a refinish job. it was my favorite guitar only because it was all I had at the time, some kind of cheap Japanese guitar from the early 70's. It was a tacky red burst and getting some scratches so I decided to paint it. I had plenty of spray paint laying around so I tore it down sanded it smooth and started painting. I found some yellow that I didn't want so that was the base coat, Then a day or so later a color coat of black went over it. I thought it looked okay so I walked away. The next day I came back to check on it and didn't know what to think.The yellow had bled through the black and it ended up as kind of a black and green marble effect. Not at all what I hoped for but in another sense kind of cool. This was about 1975 and I didn't even own a camera so no pictures exist,

Deathray, EsquireBoy and Steve 78 like this.
  8. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

'57 Strat & 53 Tele... real ones. but hey, it was the 60's... they were just old guitars

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My avatar guitar started life with a Kelly Green “candy color” finish.
    I had the original builder refinish it “hippie natural” about 12 years ago.
    I have pictures, but I’ll have to dig them out.
    I also have had a 1968 gold top refinished cherry sunburst, and a 1969 gold top refinished tobacco sunburst.
    This was 40 years ago.
    All three of them were great jobs, IMO.

telemnemonics and nojazzhere like this.
  10. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

1982-2020
    then-now.png
    Many years worth of chips and scratches were not attractive. Ten years or so in pieces before I finally got around to repainting, refretting and reassembling.

11. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi Jerry.

I’ve been hot! Don’t know how I’m going to cope when summer actually gets here. Due to current unmentionables, it’ll the first Japanese summer I’ve had to endure in 13 years. Not looking forward to it.

And you?

Anyway, I’m going with ‘I didn’t see your post immediately following the poll.’ Or, ‘I thought it said “If no, tell us the story.”’ :oops:

Pax/
    Dean

12. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

No, because they never get that beat up. A few small dings is not a reason.

13. aleski

aleski TDPRI Member

I had someone else do it. The guitar, a '52 AVRI Telecaster, came back home just yesterday.

14. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

The one in my Avatar was black then it was white and now it's natural.

I happened to be varnishing a floor at the time so I just used the floor oil to finish the guitar. I have used tru oil on another guitar but the floor oil worked better. So much for fancy stuff

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

My #1, my '88 Telecaster

When I had it for 6 years and decided it was MY GUITAR. I got to the wood wearing the edge with my arm by playing it every everyday. It had a 2mm crust of poli, it was the thickest crust I have ever seen. So I sent it to a friend who was starting a refin business...

It was black and I (he ) painted it Black over white. Thin nitro... So you can see the scratches, dings and wear

I must say that it improved the overall tone of the instrument A LOT. From having a 2mm crust of plastic ended having less than 0.5 mm of nitro.

She is still with me

BBQedIguana likes this.
  16. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Meister

I'm far too worried/superstitious to repaint my fav. It's a 90s Gibson SG '61 Reissue, and it is one of those magical once-in-a-lifetime guitars. It certainly shows wear, but I would never, ever, ever repaint it or change a single thing on it besides the strings.

When you have lightning in a bottle, you don't take the lid off.

kris ford and BBQedIguana like this.
  17. BBQedIguana

BBQedIguana Tele-Meister

My fav guitar is my Squier Tele Bullet and it's black - just the way I like it. So for the poll, I voted "No" since I haven't refinished it. My previous guitar was a red Strat knock off and although I didn't refinish it, I did tart it up to look like EVH's guitar (using electrical and masking tape!) - but the finish is still original.

We have a 3rd guitar in the house - technically it is my son's (another Strat knock off) that is black with a blue burst. My wife has been eyeing it and has asked me if I could repaint it pink - of course I can! So, I'll likely be refinishing that guitar this summer - but it's not a "favourite" so it wouldn't count for this poll anyway.

:)

18. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Yes, my main guitar used to look like this: 088ED19C-88A4-4A7E-9661-D756A714BC04.jpeg
    Then as of 2013 it looks like this:
    88F5C7F7-1688-4ADB-A30D-5827D6686094.jpeg

Reason being, I’ve gotten the bridge redone twice when my tastes changed, and it needed to be refinished the second time. I’ve had this guitar modded a lot.

I saw they had a reverse of this finish on their website (green primary, cream stripes) and originally I had planned to do all cream but switch to gold hardware, but decided instead to have them add the racing stripes.

Just something different. I’d have one in every color if I could.

Her name is “Shelby.”

tubelectron, tubegeek and BBQedIguana like this.
  19. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Meister

Years ago I did a partial refinish on my 2004 Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus in vintage sunburst. I sanded everything down to bare wood except for the face of the headstock and the top, which I wet sanded just enough to remove the tint layer. I was left with a nice amber flame, which went well with the gold hardware. The bare wood got a red mahogany stain and an oil finish of some kind.

Attached Files:

drmordo likes this.
  20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

My first Telecaster, bought over twenty years ago at a guitar show, turned out to be the proverbial modding platform. It was a really ugly red. It wouldn't chemically strip, so I began sanding. After a LOT of hard work and sanding dust, I got it mostly down to bare wood.....ash, I believe. I then Tung Oiled it. I then proceeded to change out parts, hardware, pickups, even the neck repeatedly. When, after nearly twenty years, I knew what I wanted, I built my own partscaster. That first Tele is still my avatar. Here's a closer look. mar25 040.JPG

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.