1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Have you ever played/sung your child’s wedding or similar?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bluego1, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I played acoustic duo set at my cousin’s cowboy wedding. Mostly classic country, etc. Some of the dancing couples were amazing.

Bluego1 likes this.
  2. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I sang the Ave Maria and the Lords Prayer In Latin Army sister’s wedding and at two grandparent’s funerals.

I sing classical pieces at weddings and funerals - I have since I was 17.

Bluego1 likes this.
  3. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Last summer, a friend called and said he was supposed to play a couple acoustic songs at the wedding of the daughter of some mutual friends. The other player in the duet had injured his back, and couldn't make it. I had to learn Here Comes the Sun in two days. We played a Cissy Strut jam, HCTS, and then Ripple, as the bride walked the aisle. It was really fun.

Kinda weird, the family insisted that we be included in lots of the family wedding photos, and they sent me a beautiful brass paperweight with a compass in it, engraved with my name and the wedding date. So nice.

Bluego1 likes this.
  4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I understand what you’re saying...as mentioned above, my daughter is not married and is barely of legal age—but if she asked me to play something for her wedding, I’d gladly do it.

My comments above are regarding requests from brides who’ve requested my band to play their wedding...I won’t book my band to play a first wedding...a second wedding, or an anniversary party—those are great, because people aren’t so stuffy and are just looking to have a fun time.

Bluego1 likes this.
  5. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

At my youngest son's wedding reception in 2016, a few years ago, at the request of someone, the bandleader handed me his guitar to play while my wife sang a couple of songs, beautifully.

Afterward, the bandleader said, "That went a lot better than I expected."

Attached Files:

Bluego1 likes this.
  6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, a couple times. Played at my ex wife's re wedding too!

Bluego1 likes this.
  7. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’ve played at 2 weddings. My nephew asked me to play “Crazy” and my son asked me to play “Me and Bobby McGhee”. It was a little scary as typically I back singers-seldom am I the featured act!

Bluego1 likes this.
  8. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I played an original composition at the wedding of my sister-in-law. She had heard me composing, and fell in love with it.

Bluego1 likes this.
  9. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

I’m planning on slides displayed behind me of her on my shoulders at various stages of her youth. Her in the ocean and pool during “sunshine, on the water...”, etc.
    There is zero chance I make it through unscathed.

10. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

When my youngest got married, she asked me to play and sing, campfire style around the campfire at her reception. The barn she had rented as her hall also had an outdoor area with a fire pit. I resisted, as I wasn’t too keen on solo performance in front of that many strangers. She persisted, and my wife insisted, and I....gave in. So, I enlisted her brother as well, and we played a small set list around the campfire.

I Melt - Rascall Flatts
    Hey Soul Sister - Train
    1,000 Miles - Mark Schultz
    Gimme Shelter - For some reason I used the Ashley Cleveland cover as a model
    Hey There Delilah - Plain White Ts
    The Letter - Box Tops
    Dancing in Minefields - Andrew Peterson
    By Your Side - Tenth Avenue North
    Wagon Wheel - Old Crow Medicine Show
    Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone) - Chris Tomlinson
    God Gave Me You - Blake Shelton
    Secret Agent Man - Johnny Rivers

Kinda an eclectic list, I admit. Some were songs she gave me as specific requests. Some were songs she had sung in church with our church band, some were songs we played and sang on the foot of her bed as a kid, and one or two extras that my son wanted to play thrown in.

Feedback was that folks enjoyed the campfire portion. Oh, and the singing around said campfire as well....

Bluego1 likes this.
  11. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Ouch. That sounds hard.

12. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

10yrs ago at my youngest daughter's wedding I provided the sound system for a DJ friend of theirs. She wanted me to kick of the reception by playing one of those old love songs~
    I did "I can't give you anything but love"
    Surprise, the kids danced, then the DJ took over and I got to just relax;)

Bluego1 likes this.
  13. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

I've been playing in a highly professional wedding band for 4 years now. Playing wedding ceremony guitar and playing the first dances are very special moments that bring meaning to playing music. I enjoy it so much than I ever thought I would.

Here is a pro tip:
    For first dances, keep them short. 60-90 seconds is plenty. It feels like an eternity to those that are dancing.

dougstrum and Bluego1 like this.
  14. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

So it’s not like this?

15. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I sang at my niece, SIL and my daughter’s best friend’s weddings, at their request. I worked with all of ‘em to figure out what type of songs they’d like and did everything from Grateful Dead to an original love song written by a friend. I also played solo instrumentals at one of them (a processional) and played instrumental at my brother’s wedding. It all worked out well and in one case I probably did my best performance of any kind, ever. I haven’t played at my daughter’s weddings and was truly kinda glad I wasn’t asked to. Just kinda too emotional for me, I think?

I’ve only played at one funeral, hired by a lady who wanted some “old timey” music for her brother. She got hold of the local music shop owner and as he’d been in two bands with me he asked me as I was the lead singer. I was outta the country on business so we had just the night before the funeral to work out three songs but it went very well. It was the shortest & highest paid gig I’ve had and I was home by 2:00 PM.

I don’t know that I could play at a close friend’s funeral. I was asked to do the eulogy for my two best friends and though I did it with honor I can hardly bear to even think about it years later. I told my other good friends to find somebody else to get closer too!

haggardfan1 and Bluego1 like this.
  16. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

A good friend of mine sang Green, Green Grass of Home at my father's memorial service--it was one of dad's favorites. I backed him up on dad's D18 Martin.

Other than that, our band did a wedding reception for our bass player's son, and I've played guitar and occasionally sung at some other funerals. I wasn't about to try to sing at dad's, though; a man's got to know his limitations.

Bluego1 likes this.
  17. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

Mine would have looked like this....

Bluego1 likes this.
  18. rodger

rodger Tele-Meister

Let's see....

• played at my oldest and middle daughters' weddings - full Mass. I was in the church band, so the other musicians also took part. I wrote a song for each of them, played and sang at the wedding. My tip if you think you might not get through playing a song with intense meaning at your kid's wedding without bawling your eyes out? Mentally, put yourself in the church during the wedding and play the song many, many times. For each wedding, when I first started doing this I got misty-eyed. By the time the weddings rolled around I was fine.
    • played both sister-in-law weddings including some of my original songs. Not emotional for me... not like my kids' weddings.
    • played my in-laws funeral masses. Emotional since they were like my own parents.
    • Last wedding I played was for my middle daughter's best friend last September. 5 or 6 prelude songs and my daughter sang "Can't Help Falling" during the ceremony while I played guitar.
    Clearly, playing and singing at your daughter's wedding or a funeral for a close friend/relative is as emotional as it gets. But, it's something that will be remembered fondly.

Bluego1 likes this.
  19. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Duplicate post-sorry

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.